1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What does Amillennialism /Postmillenial offer compared to what premillenialism offers?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Iconoclast, Dec 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would be much more impressive if you said you came to your position through solid, hours long Bible study.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know if any preterists can make that claim though!

• Like Like x 1
  3. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I didn't explain well enough, It wasn't a flip of the switch. It was almost a two year journey of talking to people, reading, ect. But watching the debates is what eased my confusion on the matter.

4. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Your random one liners have not convinced me that you can make the claim that you did.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My impression of you and the other preterists here on the BB is that you don't really understand dispensationalism, and you certainly don't understand the allegorical hermeneutic that you embrace. That being the case, I don't see how you guys can intelligently reject literal interpretation, and therefore dispensationalism. And watching a debate certainly doesn't give that knowledge.

6. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Now what if someone wrote a paper on preterism? How could it ever be well written and credible to you?

7. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Doesn't Tcass reject dispensationalism as well, or am I wrong?

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is not even just Dispy, as there are those holding to Covenant Theology here who also totally reject Preterism!

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Partial yes, no way full blown views, as that is heresy!

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am still waiting to when in history the Second Coming and the bodily resurrection event was recorded as happening!

11. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hours??? YEARS!!!

PPreterism is an understanding developed from amil through continued study of the way OC prophecy is fulfilled in the NC Scriptures. Nothing to do with allegorical interpretation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, he is historic premil. But he rejects dispensationalism with an educated, thoughtful understanding of it, not willynilly without knowing what it is. I'm okay with that. Dispensationalism is not a fundamental of the faith.

13. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well you'll have to take it from me then. The glory of God is foundational in all theology, therefore it is foundational in Amillennialism and your point is moot.
    I'm talking about the Dispensationalism I come across in Britain and it's all about. One of the reasons I left the church where I was saved was because the leaders invited some guys in to celebrate the Passover. But they all claim to be Dispys. You should set your own house in order before you come and lecture us Amils.
    There's been a lot of that over the years. A lot of folk thought Napoleon might have been the AC. But do you agree with Henry Gratton Guinness who saw the times of the Gentiles (Luke 21:24) ending when General Allenby took Jerusalem from the Ottoman Turks in 1917?
    Sorry; I don't play that game. You set out your thoughts on your eschatology and I'll set out mine.

Just to stress one point though. I don't fall out over eschatology with anyone so long as he believes that Christ is coming again. I don't mind having a good old debate about it, but we are all brothers in Christ.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You see, you don't even know that you are doing allegorical interpretation. But you reject the literal meaning of 1000 years in Rev. 20--that is allegorical interpretation.

15. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not; it's comparing Scripture with Scripture.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, then, I'll assume you don't know any authors who make it foundational in amillennialism. You're in the eschatalogical dark about it.

And for the record, the glory of God is not foundational in all theology. There are various aberrant theologies, even among evangelicals, that do not make it foundational.
    This paragraph has absolutely nothing to do with me or anything I've ever posted here on the BB.

Nope. Strongly disagree.

The question of the definition of "dispensation" is not basically eschatology, but of Greek semantics. The word is oikonomia, and it occurs in Scripture in a non-eschatalogical meaning. The word as it is used in Eph. 3:2 is precisely as we use it in the theology, but other usages are not eschatalogical at all.

Your post, "I don't play that game," means to me that you really don't know the Greek word and it's wider meaning. It also means to me that you have no standing to criticize dispensationalism.

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Prove it.

And again, you yourself do not know what allegorical interpretation is if you think that. I really must do a thread on hermeneutics, because there is so much ignorance on the BB about it.

Allegorical interpretation does not simply mean looking at Scripture and making up an allegory. It means interpreting in a non-literal way, and it goes back to Origen (3rd century), who copied Philo, and Augustine later on, right through the Catholic Church (skipping the original reformers) up until the present day.

Look, folks, don't be embarrassed if you interpret non-literally. "Allegorical" is not an insult, it is an historical name for non-literal interpretation. I'm not attacking you if I say you interpret allegorically. If you interpret that way, embrace it and let's move on. Otherwise you sound like you don't know what you are talking about.

#57 John of Japan, Jan 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is the definition of oikonomia from the Friberg Anlex (accessed through BibleWorks): "literally, relating to the task of an oikonomos (steward) in household administration stewardship, management (LU 16.2); (2) figuratively; (a) of the apostolic office in God's redemptive work task, responsibility, trusteeship (CO 1.25 ); (b) of God's arrangements for mankind's redemption plan, arrangement, purpose (EP 3.9); 1T 1.4 may mean (divine) training, but (divine) plan is also possible."

Here are the seven times it is used in the NT. Now study, people.

Lu 16:2 And he called him, and said unto him, How is it that I hear this of thee? give an account of thy stewardship; for thou mayest be no longer steward.
    Lu 16:3 Then the steward said within himself, What shall I do? for my lord taketh away from me the stewardship: I cannot dig; to beg I am ashamed.
    Lu 16:4 I am resolved what to do, that, when I am put out of the stewardship, they may receive me into their houses.
    1Co 9:17 For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation [of the gospel] is committed unto me.
    Eph 1:10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; [even] in him:
    Eph 3:2 If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:
    Col 1:25 Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God;

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've done it several times on the B.B. It's looking at places where 'one thousand' comes up and looking to see if it is usually interpreted literally; it isn't. I can quote the texts again if you really want.
    If you think that not interpreting a word with wooden literalism is allegory, then you yourself have not the faintest idea what the word means.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If interpreting in a non-literal way is allegory, then the Lord Jesus was guilty of it several times, and the Pharisees and others were not to blame for misunderstanding Him (John 2:19-21; John 3:3-4) and the Roman Catholics are right about Transubstantiation because they interpret John 6:53ff and Matthew 26:26 etc. literally.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.