1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What does believe mean?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by FERRON BRIMSTONE, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

As I said before, if you are against the idea that "believing that God exist" is the gospel, then I am right with you. But it is quite a jump to go from saying that if you believe the wrong thing, you aren't really saved, to saying that even though you believe what scripture commands you to believe that it isn't enough because you might not be obedient.

Of course we agree about lost folks, but what about saved folks who don't submit to his lordship? Are you saying it is impossible? Is it proof that they aren't saved? Or that it causes them to lose their salvation?

Or something else that I am missing?

You are talking about two very different (howbeit related) things. You are mixing faith and obedience.

See you switched. Now you are talking about believing in Christ's redeeming blood. That is for salvation. Lordship comes afterwards and we still have free-will. Calling salvation into doubt every time someone refuses to yield to his lordship confounds the gospel. It introduces doubt as to whether it is enough to believe that Christ took my place and accept it as a free gift or if I have to attain to a certain degree (never specified) of holiness to know if I am "truly" saved.

I am truly saved because I have believed in what Christ did and accepted it for all my righteousness. If I sin, even horribly, it has absolutely no diminishing effect on the saving power of Christ's blood. I am still saved.

Lacy

2. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

To believe is to be His disciple, to follow Him, to be reborn with a new life in Him.

Not everyone that says to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he that does the will of my Father.Mt 7:21

Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. James 2:19

No easy believism here. One must follow hard after their master and strive to enter in the narrow gait, being reformed by the renewing of their mind, not being conformed to the ways of the world as described in Rom 12:1,2

All this is due to loving Him because He first loved us.

For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not. John7:64

3. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

Hi everyone.

I would like to discuss on this topic. I agree with Scarlett O.

Too many people like Lutherans, Methodists, Catholics actual believe Jesus is the Son of God, just same as many baptists do. Myself was a Lutheran years ago. I did believe in Jesus Christ, that He is the Son of God, and He died on the cross for our sins. I took confirmation class at Lutheran school. Pastor did taught on Jesus Christ. He believes Jesus is the Son of God, and He believes Jesus died on the cross for our sins. He believes Christ was actually risen from the dead. Same with my family, my mom knows sign language well. She talked on Jesus to me many times. She believed Jesus is the Son of God. She believes Christ died on the cross for our sins. She believes Christ risen from the dead.

We have to be careful about being judge to any religions, tell which one is truly saved or not. Many religions truly believe in Jesus Christ same as what Baptists do.

There is much debate about salvation more than any doctrines ever I seen already. I realize that salvation is so much important than any doctrines. Because many people desire to have eternal life, and want go to heaven. About 80% to 90% of religions are desire to have eternal life, go to heaven. But there are too many different views on salvation because of their intepreting and beliefs. Religions cause people confusions and misunderstandings.

Christ warns us of Matt. 7:13-20, He tells us most are being end up in everlasting punishment, very few are make into everlasting life. Because we must be beware of false teachings, pastors, religions. We can watch or read pastors' fruit, see if they are truly saved or not through their actions.

Rich man is a perfect example, that many people are desire to have eternal life. I am sure that a rich man actual believe Jesus is the Son of God, and also, he believed Christ is the 'Master'. He asked Christ, what things that he desires to have eternal life. Christ already know rich man's heart with attitude. Christ told him, if he desires to have eternal life, then, he have to surrender or give up everything what he have, give them to poor people, shall have treasure in the heaven, come and follow Christ. Then, when the rich man heard Christ, he was bitter, and refuse give up his possession, and won't follow Christ. Sadly, he is already in hell because of no faith, even, refuse to obedience Christ.

Abraham was a wealthy man in the land of Ur. He posessed lot things. One day, God came to Abraham, and to call him to come out of Ur, and to follow God. Abraham believed him, even, he OBEYED God, and to follow God.

Same with Jesus tells us, come and to follow him, or if we refuse to follow CHrist, then we cannot be his dsciple.

Obivously, most are on the way to hell, because of not obey Christ, and go in their own ways.

Scarlett O. is right, believe is a action verb.

John 3:16 in King James Version - 'believETH' means continue believing. It does not say, 'believED'.

John 3:16 promises us, God love the world, WHOSOEVER believETH that God sent His Son, shall not go perish but have everlasting life. It promsies us, anyone who continue believe on Christ will not go hell, but have everlasting life.

Or... if we stopped believing Christ, we might be cut off according Romans 11:19-23 & John 15:6.

I want to share with you a true story. I won't given the name of the church, and name of ex-sunday school teacher. I know him well. That church is an independent fundamental baptist. I did visited that church have deaf ministry in 1995. I met that man, he is deaf, taught sunday school class. One day, I visited that church. I went to deaf sunday school class. He taught about the judgement seat of Christ. After the church service over. We went out to eat together. I enjoy chatted with him.

In year around 2001, I heard from a deaf pastor told us when we were at the store. He said, he was told from deaf ministry at another church. That sunday school teacher was kicked out because of his beliefs changed. He told them that, he is no longer believe Jesus is the Son of God, and not believe that He is the deity of God. He told them, Jesus is only a man like us. I was shocked and disappoint. Also, at the Christian volleyball tournment. I caught one deaf person talked to deaf pastor about that man. He said, the reason why that man has changed his beliefs. Because that man spent study and reasearch sites on itnernet too much. That sit told him, that Christ is not the deity of God.

Few weeks later, I emailed to that man. I show him of verses in the Old Testament prophecies on Jesus Christ is the Messiah, and talk about the Son of God.

He replied email to me. He show me of the site about Christ. That site deny Christ is the deity of God, Son of God, and He is the truly Messiah. But he is only man like us. He told me, he does not believe Jesus is the Son of God. Also, he wants me to stop send email to him, want me to leave him alone. So, I left him alone.

Very sad.

It could be happen to anyone even, also baptists too.

That why Romans 11:19-23 tells us, that we must be fear of the Lord, because we could be cut off, if we stopped believing. Bible commands us, that we must continue believing in Christ all the way to the end then shall be saved (Matt. 10:22; Matt 24:13).

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 -Amen!

4. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "believe" in John 3:16 is the Greek word "pisteuon" which is a verbal participle, from "pisteuo"

("pisteuo" is the verbal form of the Greek noun 'pistis', which means 'faith')

Unfortunately, the English "believe" denotes an internal action or mental assent, whereas a verbal participle denotes external action in reference to mental understanding.

English does not have a verbal form for the noun "faith", so the translators used the word "believe" or sometimes "believing". The word "believe" should always be seen as "faith in action", or "faithing" in this case "faithing Jesus".

In the first century culture of the Roman Empire, to "know" something or to "believe" something always meant that your external actions changed accordingly.

So in John 3:16, "believe" must be seen as reference to action; a transformed life based on an understanding and trusting in the person of Jesus, the revealed Son of the Living God.

peace to you:praying:

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

jd, thanks for your post! Your posts are always very biblically sound, thoughtful, and on target. :thumbs:

What you say makes me feel better for explaining the gospel to people in my ministry usually as "have faith in Christ" or "trust in Christ" rather than "believe in Christ." I'm afraid they'll mistake the latter for a mental assent. I "believed in Christ" before I was a believer, in fact, because I did believe someone named Jesus lived at one time and was considered the Christ. It's just that I thought all of us could be a type of Christ as well.

So thanks!

6. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for your kind words, and "ditto" concerning your posts.

I, too, can remember believing God/Jesus existed; thinking I was saved; when I was as lost. I marvel that our Lord has so much patience with His children, and thank Him for His kind mercy and abundant love.

7. FERRON BRIMSTONE

FERRON BRIMSTONE New Member

I believe that if there is not evidence of salvation, no salvation occured. To believe in Christ means we believe he is God, Lord, Master, Savior, and Creator. We cannot truly believe in Him if we are not willing to submit to him as God, Lord, Master, Savior, and Creator. We will still sin because we are still in the flesh, but our desire and longing will be to please Him.

1Jo 2:3 And by this we know that we have come to know him, if we keep his commandments.
    1Jo 2:4 Whoever says "I know him" but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him,
    1Jo 2:5 but whoever keeps his word, in him truly the love of God is perfected. By this we may be sure that we are in him:
    1Jo 2:6 whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked.
    1Jo 2:7 Beloved, I am writing you no new commandment, but an old commandment that you had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word that you have heard.
    1Jo 2:8 At the same time, it is a new commandment that I am writing to you, which is true in him and in you, because the darkness is passing away and the true light is already shining.
    1Jo 2:9 Whoever says he is in the light and hates his brother is still in darkness.
    1Jo 2:10 Whoever loves his brother abides in the light, and in him there is no cause for stumbling.
    1Jo 2:11 But whoever hates his brother is in the darkness and walks in the darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.
    1Jo 2:12 I am writing to you, little children, because your sins are forgiven for his name's sake.
    1Jo 2:13 I am writing to you, fathers, because you know him who is from the beginning. I am writing to you, young men, because you have overcome the evil one. I write to you, children, because you know the Father.
    1Jo 2:14 I write to you, fathers, because you know him who is from the beginning. I write to you, young men, because you are strong, and the word of God abides in you, and you have overcome the evil one.
    1Jo 2:15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
    1Jo 2:16 For all that is in the world--the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions--is not from the Father but is from the world.
    1Jo 2:17 And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever.
    1Jo 2:18 Children, it is the last hour, and as you have heard that antichrist is coming, so now many antichrists have come. Therefore we know that it is the last hour.
    1Jo 2:19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us. But they went out, that it might become plain that they all are not of us.
    1Jo 2:20 But you have been anointed by the Holy One, and you all have knowledge.
    1Jo 2:21 I write to you, not because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and because no lie is of the truth.
    1Jo 2:22 Who is the liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, he who denies the Father and the Son.
    1Jo 2:23 No one who denies the Son has the Father. Whoever confesses the Son has the Father also.
    1Jo 2:24 Let what you heard from the beginning abide in you. If what you heard from the beginning abides in you, then you too will abide in the Son and in the Father.
    1Jo 2:25 And this is the promise that he made to us--eternal life.
    1Jo 2:26 I write these things to you about those who are trying to deceive you.
    1Jo 2:27 But the anointing that you received from him abides in you, and you have no need that anyone should teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about everything--and is true and is no lie, just as it has taught you--abide in him.
    1Jo 2:28 And now, little children, abide in him, so that when he appears we may have confidence and not shrink from him in shame at his coming.
    1Jo 2:29 If you know that he is righteous, you may be sure that everyone who practices righteousness has been born of him.
    1Jo 3:3 And everyone who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure.
    1Jo 3:4 Everyone who makes a practice of sinning also practices lawlessness; sin is lawlessness.
    1Jo 3:5 You know that he appeared to take away sins, and in him there is no sin.
    1Jo 3:6 No one who abides in him keeps on sinning; no one who keeps on sinning has either seen him or known him.
    1Jo 3:7 Little children, let no one deceive you. Whoever practices righteousness is righteous, as he is righteous.
    1Jo 3:8 Whoever makes a practice of sinning is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil.
    1Jo 3:9 No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God's seed abides in him, and he cannot keep on sinning because he has been born of God.
    1Jo 3:10 By this it is evident who are the children of God, and who are the children of the devil: whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is the one who does not love his brother.

ESV

8. bapmom

bapmom New Member

canady,

could you explain what made you think you were saved before, and what the difference is now that makes you say you ARE saved now?

9. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll try. I remember thinking I was "saved" because I believed Jesus/God existed. I had been baptized several times in different churches. The first time I was baptized I was about 10. It was a pentecostal church our neighbors belonged to and they baptized in a fast moving creek. On the way, their daughter (about my age) asked if I knew what baptism meant. I said no. The father said, "well, when you get in the water think about Jesus. When you go under, think about Jesus. When you come up, think about Jesus." Now, I knew I could do that and that's what I did. "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus", right up until I came out of the water, lost my footing and floated down the creek.

In my mind, salvation was about believing God/Jesus existed, and trying to do more good than bad. I read the bible through, though I had no real understanding of scripture. I can remember telling people that "God is a righteous judge" and that when we die, God will weigh the good we did in our lives against the bad, and if the good outweighed the bad, we would be saved. I went to church off and on for most of my life. I studied "supernatural" stuff as a hobby.

When I finished college, we started going to a little baptist church down the street so my son could have kids his age to play with. We decided to join, and they wanted us to get baptized "again" because all those other baptisms didn't really count since they weren't in a baptist church. That didn't bother me at all, so we set up the day.

As I waited to get "baptized" in the side room, an overwhelming sense of despair came over me. My sin seemed suddenly to far outweigh the "good" I had in my life. I fell to the floor, sobbing. (now, I thought men should never cry and I was quite surprised by the tears) I literally prayed that God would take my life so that I would not sin any further against Him, and bring me into a worse place in hell. "Let this (my life) be over", I said.

A couple of people came in, and then left me alone. I really don't remember who, but my wife said she was one of the them. I don't even know how long I was in there.

As suddenly as the depair came upon me, I remembered "Jesus died for my sins". In my mind, I saw Jesus on the cross and understood for the first time what those words meant. "Jesus died for my sins". "Trust in Jesus" "your faith has made you whole".

The despair left me, and a new sense of joy came upon me. I got off that floor a different man. I was transformed into a new creation. I was saved. I was then immediately baptized, and my life has never been the same.

I know now it was Holy Spirit bringing conviction upon me; of my own sinfulness, and conviction of the truth of who Jesus is and what He did.

Let me add that I do not believe everyone must have such an experience to be saved, or that anyone claiming to have such an experience is saved.

Salvation is about a transformed life. That is one way I know that I am saved. As I look back, I realize that my life had never been transformed by the power of Holy Spirit prior to that moment. The old man is dead, the new man lives. The new man has the Spirit of God indwelling.

I know where I have been, I know where I am, and I know where I am going.

10. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Canadyjd, I understand what you are talking about. I myself had an experience like yours a couple of years ago, when I had found myself in a backslidden state and God brought me to repentance and my life has been totally changed. But I don't think that I wasn't saved before. The difference in my life now I can only attribute to conversion, which must be a change of heart in a believer, not the 'act' of believing itself.

Luke 22:32
    32 But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.

Peter had faith, but his conversion did not occur until later. Many saved believers are not walking according to the spirit, but according to the flesh, just as Peter was when he denied the Lord.

11. skypair

skypair Active Member

No. I'm sure this is going to chafe some people but true belief engenders - "births" - OBEDIENCE. When we speak of being "born again," we say that our "belief" (unproven expectation, thing "hoped for") caused us to respond to God by the means that He requires whereupon we receive regeneration, faith (evidence, even proof, of things hoped for/belief), eternal life, spiritual gifts, and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

True belief QUICKENS our dead spirit to action whereupon we receive faith and salvation.

skypair

12. skypair

skypair Active Member

#32 skypair, Sep 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2006
  13. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

What is the Biblical criteria for such evidence? What kind and how much, before I can know that I am saved?

ok? Nothing about the blood here? Nothing about substitution? Just "accept him into my heart" as Lord and Saviour and really really really mean it? Just feel really really really sorry for my sin and promise to try to quit? is that the gospel?

We can't? Who has submitted everything?, Especially among baby Christians, or Christians who are backslidden?

So we can sin as much as we want as long as our longing is ok?

If I sin (even really badly), am I still saved? What if for a week or so I really don't want to please anybody but myself? What if my sexual purity is submitted but I still want to get stoned or drunk? Or visa-versa. What if I have been saved for years but I still gossip or I am derisive? Am I saved?

Or:
    Does it prove I was never "really" saved.
    Does it mean I was saved but lost it? (Can I get it back?)
    Does it prove nothing, other than i am a disobedient son subject to chastening.

How much sin does it take to overwhelm the saving power of Christ's blood?

Lacy

14. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

"Head knowledge", IMHO, is a extra-biblical term that Satan himself invented to confound the simplicity of the Gospel of salvation by Faith alone in order to keep folks from ever understanding how to get saved.

Or else it could be that man has such an evil sinful desire to have a part in his own salvation, that he cannot really believe that his "best" is just filthy rags, and he must be able to contribute something.

Lacy

15. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Well, Paul did, anyway. But what that has to do with the word believe, I don't know. We have a word for commit, it's commit. Jesus did not say, 'Whosoever committeth his life to me shall be raised up on the last day.' I know plenty of Christians who I would not say have committed their lives to Christ, but I don't think that makes them unsaved.
    Do they? Then why do they say all those other things when you ask them if they are saved? If I don't get a clear indication that someone understands the gospel, I wouldn't assume they were saved just because they said they were a Christian. But if someone understands that they are saved by the blood of Christ, what else can I add to that? 'But do you really believe that you are saved by the shed blood of Christ?' I might ask the same question of anyone who says that a believer must show good works in order to be truly saved.
    They don't know why they should be doing it.
    Christians should have the deep committment to Christ that you are talking about, but the fact remains that many don't. We shouldn't change the definitions of words just because we don't like the fact that Jesus Christ might desire to save the undesirable. If we put works in its proper place, for rewards and not for the free gift of salvation, then the issue works itself out.

#35 James_Newman, Sep 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2006
  16. FERRON BRIMSTONE

FERRON BRIMSTONE New Member

Lacy,

I see you read my post, but not the Scripture (1 John Ch 2-3)

The blood was the price that Christ paid for our sin.

1Jo 2:15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
    1Jo 2:16 For all that is in the world--the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions--is not from the Father but is from the world.

Rom 7:9 I was once alive apart from the law, but when the commandment came, sin came alive and I died.
    Rom 7:10 The very commandment that promised life proved to be death to me.
    Rom 7:11 For sin, seizing an opportunity through the commandment, deceived me and through it killed me.
    Rom 7:12 So the law is holy, and the commandment is holy and righteous and good.
    Rom 7:13 Did that which is good, then, bring death to me? By no means! It was sin, producing death in me through what is good, in order that sin might be shown to be sin, and through the commandment might become sinful beyond measure.
    Rom 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am of the flesh, sold under sin.
    Rom 7:15 I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate.
    Rom 7:16 Now if I do what I do not want, I agree with the law, that it is good.
    Rom 7:17 So now it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me.
    Rom 7:18 For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out.
    Rom 7:19 For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing.
    Rom 7:20 Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me.
    Rom 7:21 So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand.
    Rom 7:22 For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being,
    Rom 7:23 but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members.
    Rom 7:24 Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?
    Rom 7:25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin.

2Co 13:5 Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?--unless indeed you fail to meet the test!

Rom 8:5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit.
    Rom 8:6 To set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.
    Rom 8:7 For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God's law; indeed, it cannot.
    Rom 8:8 Those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

Luk 10:25 And behold, a lawyer stood up to put him to the test, saying, "Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?"
    Luk 10:26 He said to him, "What is written in the Law? How do you read it?"
    Luk 10:27 And he answered, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself."
    Luk 10:28 And he said to him, "You have answered correctly; do this, and you will live."

Luk 8:13 And the ones on the rock are those who, when they hear the word, receive it with joy. But these have no root; they believe for a while, and in time of testing fall away.
    Luk 8:14 And as for what fell among the thorns, they are those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by the cares and riches and pleasures of life, and their fruit does not mature.
    Luk 8:15 As for that in the good soil, they are those who, hearing the word, hold it fast in an honest and good heart, and bear fruit with patience.
    Luk 8:16 "No one after lighting a lamp covers it with a jar or puts it under a bed, but puts it on a stand, so that those who enter may see the light.
    Luk 8:17 For nothing is hidden that will not be made manifest, nor is anything secret that will not be known and come to light.
    Luk 8:18 Take care then how you hear, for to the one who has, more will be given, and from the one who has not, even what he thinks that he has will be taken away."

1Jo 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin.
    1Jo 1:8 If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
    1Jo 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
    1Jo 1:10 If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Mat 5:13 "You are the salt of the earth, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under people's feet.
    Mat 5:14 "You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden.
    Mat 5:15 Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house.
    Mat 5:16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.

Mat 5:17 "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.
    Mat 5:18 For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished.
    Mat 5:19 Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
    Mat 5:20 For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

Mat 5:48 You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Eph 4:20 But that is not the way you learned Christ!--
    Eph 4:21 assuming that you have heard about him and were taught in him, as the truth is in Jesus,
    Eph 4:22 to put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires,
    Eph 4:23 and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds,
    Eph 4:24 and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness.
    Eph 4:25 Therefore, having put away falsehood, let each one of you speak the truth with his neighbor, for we are members one of another.
    Eph 4:26 Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger,
    Eph 4:27 and give no opportunity to the devil.

17. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

The blood plus my fruit?

So if you apply this to salvation, it means that if I ever once love something "in the world", desires, flesh, etc., that I am not saved?

18. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

The fact that Paul struggled, fought, wrestled, and repented proves my point not yours. Your doctrine acts as though obedience and holiness are automatic and there is no failure possible.

19. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

First you must prove that "in the faith" means "saved", and not just "in the faith". He is speaking to those who are saved.(1 Cor. 1:2) So if it means "saved" then you can lose it if you don't constantly "examine yourself". Christ is the author, but I am the finisher?

I hope not.

20. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

Do you believe that it is impossible for a Christian to "live according to the flesh"? Then why warn him not to? This verse is also written to saved folks and warning them to live holy or else displease God.