1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What does Christmas mean to you?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Dec 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::applause:

2. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Greetings.

He has a right to an opinion as I do as well. But who should I listen too, him or Paul Washer and John MacArthur? The choice is obvious and I also speak from experience having been in a number of churches over the years in 3 states, and from what I read on Facebook by others. Buy my experience extends in these regions.

SF Bay Area CA
    Shasta & Tehama County, CA
    Greenville County, SC
    Denver Metro, CO

I also visited a church in Virginia once

Merry Christmas.

#22 evangelist6589, Dec 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2013
  3. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was in a Reformed church some time ago that taught the children the same way they taught the adults. Pastor AL's reasoning was that most churches dumb down the message and make wild ASSUMPTIONS that children cannot learn nor comprehend. This church did not do easter egg hunts, nor did they commercialize Christmas. Christmas at this church was filled with scripture and theological richness. The gospel was clearly preached and sinners knew they needed a savior. I miss that church, although it was in another state I wish I could attend a like-minded church, but only the Holy Spirit can persuade my wife that the gospel and rich doctrine and theology is far more important than people being nice, and having friends in a church. You put God first and He will bless you.

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Padre,

First of all, I want to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas. Your post caught my eye very sharply, and it is one of the best expressed posts from the heart I have seen on this board. I have long admired your posts, and would be honored to serve in a church under you as our pastor.

Paul Washer has been to our local church before, and he will never return. His message to our church, which has been addressed many times in other threads, was nothing but cruel, mean, and totally devoid of any hint or respect of the faith of folks who have been Christians for decades. I have watched his talks online several times since his trip to our church several years ago, and he has not changed one bit. His tactic is to whip the crowd into a frenzy about the Gospel, then proceed to tell everyone they are lost. You have this guy in the spotlight where he belongs, in the entertainment field.

God's love, purposes and will are perfect. He uses all sorts of people to tell His message. Some are better orators than others, but the fact is, God is the power behind their message, and someone was brought to salvation through all these messages. It is also a fact, that as one continues to preach that message, they become better at it.

5. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

The choice should be obvious (Padre), but I am betting given what I have observed from you, this will simply not be the case. You were very correct one thing here.....having to do with opinion. Also remember, YOURS too is ONLY OPINION.

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I appreciate the kind words, and agree with your zeal for a pure Gospel message. However, Paul Washer is the last example I would use as an instrument of spreading the Gospel. God uses all types of people to accomplish His purposes. He purposely uses those of us who are disadvantaged in social status, speaking and many other areas, to make clear to all, that the advancement of His Word is coming from His efforts, not any man's.

7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Washer does not desire people to end up in Hell and preaches the full gospel. I used to think low of Paul and even once sent him a critical email. This was all before I gave him a honest chance. Once I gave him a honest chance I listened to several of his sermons and am reading one of his books and I have fallen in love with him! He is the backbone behind the Way of the Master theology no question!

While Erwin Lutzer and Charles Stanley may be correct in that someone whom is a Christian can fall into the sin of homosexuality or another sin and still be saved as only God knows. I wont agree with Washer in saying that people are automatically not saved, as I leave that to God. So I have docked off 5% points in my grade of his book which will get a 95% so far.

8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You should give him another chance. I too was ticked at him for a while until I gave him another chance. What original made me mad was his tone he preached in a sermon to some youth at some event. His words were good, but his tone was not and the manor in which he communicated was not appropriate. However no man is perfect. Paul has impressed me in his book I am reading.

9. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I watched an update to the 'Shocking Youth Message'. Washer felt bad after he had preached it. Then, after time rolled on he received calls, letters, messages and met many who were converted due to how he said it and what he said. :thumbs:

10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen.. However I will add that IFB evangelists, Greg Laurie and others also boast of true conversions at their events. I believe God does and will save people in such events. He has a different approach with everyone. I for one was saved in a Weslyian church. But it was after that I got a better grasp on things and theology. However I got saved in 1982 and back in the days when Weslyian churches preached better as today most have gone the seeker friendly road.

But what baffles me and perhaps you can explain this. Why do some IFB evangelists and pastors preach hard on sin when they are Arminian based? Yes I know of IFB evangelists that hit sin as hard as Paul Washer. However Fire & Brimstone seems to be the motif. I do not endorse that style because it strives to get a fear filled convert and a emotional response from people whom will go to the alter in fear and maybe not because they truly are saved, but only God knows.

#30 evangelist6589, Dec 25, 2013
  11. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

I would pick Calvary, I think it would do every Christian good to witness first hand the suffering Christ went through to put away sin.

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you & Marry Christmas to you.

13. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had a nephew 44 years old die in a car wreck day before yesterday. In the prime of life, and a very wonderful person and of course we ask why. And we ask things like why at this time of the year.

But to be very honest with you one of the first things I thought was how this happening and when it happened caused me to think, Christmas. The very reason for this day is because man dies. He is sold under sin unto death and that is the very reason the Son of God was born of woman, born under the law.

To redeem us who are sold under sin unto death that we might have life as adopted sons of God.

The Son of God had to come in the flesh and die in the flesh, and be made alive in the Spirit, that we also might have life in the Spirit.

14. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My prayers for your family. Thank you for being so open about such a tragic moment and speaking of the peace that comes from Him alone.

15. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is why it is so crucial to preach repentance from sin and the full gospel message this time of year. Do not hold back... People die everyday and the next may be you, me or someone you know. Sad to hear of your nephew, my prayers go out to you.

16. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why do you have to mention Paul Washer? You dont have your own copy of the Scriptures, or indwelling Spirit of God?

17. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ephesians 4:11-14
    And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers,to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ, so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes.

What a beautiful passage. Do you not believe it?

18. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe ALL of it especially, "As a result, we are no longer to be children, tossed here and there by waves, and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, by craftiness in deceitful scheming;"
    (Ephesians 4:14 NAS77)

You read a single book and then present yourself as an expert on every topic. You read a book from a big fish in a very small pond and then cowardly call out your pastor because he did not preach the message you thought he should preach. I believe you are a small, jealous man who knows the only time you will ever stand in a pulpit is if they leave the church unlocked at night. I've watched your youtube videos. I'm sure I wouldn't want you behind my pulpit even then.

BTW, you never answered my earlier question to you. I even promised you a quarter. Who said this?

It was your bff John MacArthur. You read two of his books so, like buddies do, you call him Mac. I know a half dozen pastors who preached on that very subject last night. That is in the Ichabod northeast!

Your anecdotal experience and a cheap paperback is not enough to bring such a harsh indictment against FAITHFUL men of God. You claim your gifting is evangelism. Leave exhortation to those who have been called.

So then let us pursue the things which make for peace and the building up of one another.
    Romans 14:19 NAS77

19. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul Washer & MacArthur

Its such a shame that others will not give those great men a chance.

#39 evangelist6589, Dec 25, 2013
  20. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does Paul Washer know about the methodologies of churches? How many has he actually served along side? Maybe he should spend more time out in the trenches rather than spend all this time bashing everyone else churches. The same could be said for the op. Neither one of them knows what in the world they are talking about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.