1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What does "in Christ" mean?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by The Biblicist, Jul 11, 2017.

1. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All those things are true I just find myself resisting the illustrations that it means the leading and conviction of the Spirit - rather it is He Himself who has baptized us into the body of Christ.

1 Corinthians 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

There is the metaphorical statement at the end of the verse "all made to drink into one Spirit" don't know of any churches which requires candidates to drink the water :)

HankD

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which flavor?
    The Catholic, CoE, Methodist, ... etc, etc

HankD

3. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you honestly believe those are biblical, New Testament churches?

4. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    May I assume you are posting such childish nonsense because you have no cogent argument to offer?

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We best leave it to being as we baptists see it, as the outward sign of that already inward work. That is why being Baptized in Holy Spirit to me would be Him placing us into Jesus as a result of real salvation, not a sign as the water would be!

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The NT Church would be those assemblies that teach the Gospel message. baptize, and other functions, but not just Baptists .

7. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The first problem that Paul deals with at Corinth is the division within the congregation over baptismal administrators (1 Cor.1:13-17). He responds to this issue by primarily referring to Apollos and himself (as the major divisions were probably divided between these two) in chapters 1-4. The way he responds is (1) The gospel rather than baptism is where the power of God is found to salvation (ch. 1:17-31). The word of the gospel in the hands of the Holy Spirit is where the power of the gospel resides rather than the preacher or his eloquence is where the power of salvation resides (ch. 2). All ministers work under "one" boss - the Holy Spirit and the ministers as well as the candidates were all equally led by the same Spirit, who is the actuaHl builder of the congregational body in Corinth and thus the temple of the Spirit (ch. 3). Also, all gifted differences between ministers and members is determined by the Spirit (ch. 4).

When he comes to the division over spiritual gifts in chapters 12-14 within the congregational body of Christ at Corinth he applies the very same principles laid down in 1 Corinthians 1-4 which are summarized in 1 Cor. 12-12-13. The local congregation is formed by the Holy Spirit and gifted as the Holy Spirit sees fit in order to carry out its commission where it is located and edify the members. That is what is meant by "made to drink into the Spirit" in 1 Cor.12:13 as verses 14-26 illustrates and then applies to the congregational body at Corinth in verse 27.

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know, what percentage of a local church has to be saved to make it a NT local church? How many have to have been immersed once using the Trinitarian formula to make it a valid NT church? What if the membership is mixed in terms of baptismal mode? What name on their shingle makes it a valid NT church?

Personally I prefer a church with baptist distinctives, preferably known as "Baptist" (Mine is), saved membership (as far as can be told) baptized by immersion, bible believing, fundamentalists (doctrinally).

Even then, I feel the questions above need to be answered.

HankD

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can Arminian chureches be NT ones? Can Reformed? can Charasmatic/Pentacostal? I say yes, but many here would disagree!

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are valid issues to be considered and MANY combative voices out there in Christendom.

Personally I believe my local church - (a Baptist Church following the Baptist distinctives) to be a New Testament church.

I don't want to get embroiled in that discussion however, it can become ferocious even verbally violent :)

HankD

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No sir, you may not assume that it is childish nonsense (well not in this case anyway).

My point is that in this passage the entity to drink is not molecular (H2O) water but a metaphor for the Holy Spirit.

John 4:14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.

HankD

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought I made it clear when I said "And doing so made me one with the body, in unity with the local assembly belonging to the Lord."

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I took note of that and I believe now by your response that you took offense, I am sorry.

I was not aiming that at you Tom, you are one of the last persons on earth i want to be guilty of offending. :(

HankD

#73 HankD, Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  14. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You didn't offend me. I should have used the :p.

15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Dr T
    :)
    HankD

• Like Like x 1
  16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think that many of us will be surprised who God brought into Heaven, under what church label!

• Agree Agree x 1