1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

what does it mean for the pastor to be the leader?

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by brobobby, Apr 25, 2004.

1. brobobby

brobobby New Member

I was accused at my last church of being a good pastor but a poor leader. What exactly does that mean? I preached the Word and lived it before them. Does being a leader mean being a bossy dictator? Does it mean you do things yourself rather than depend on someone else? Any other pastors struggle with leadership?

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Most people do not really understand what a leader is. They often think it is the person who leads the way into everything. A leader is one who trains others to do the work of the ministry, He is one who delegates not does it all. Leaders are asy to find. They have others following them. Leaders are not leaders because someone gave them a title. They are leaders when others look to them for leadership. Leaders lead.

3. North Carolina Tentmaker

I like your answer gb. Especially the part where you said:
    Leadership is vital in a pastor and it is not always something that comes naturally. As a former military officer and a manager in business I had a fair amount of leadership experience before I entered the ministry. I have heard the argument that a given man is a "born leader." That leadership is something you are born with or without, but I have not found that to be true. Leadership can be taught and can be developed. There are a number of good books on this subject available.

One great book that I recently finished is "The Proverbial Cracker Jack" - How to Get Out of the Box and Become the Prize by Dr. Dale Henry. You can order this book from his web site at:

Http://www.drdalehenry.com/materials.htm

It is funny, interesting, an easy read and a great book. It is not written specifically to pastors but to leaders in any walk of life. I would recommend it to anyone. I am sure some other members will also have favorite books on this subject.

The bottom line is what gb already said, leaders lead. Pastors need to motivate. They need to inspire. They need to develop skills in those who follow them so that they can continue to take more responsibility and do more for the cause of Christ. A Pastor that is not a good leader is not a good pastor (I don't mean to offend brobobby, I don't know you or if the charge was true). He may be a good preacher and a good scholar, but a pastor needs to lead others.

Part of that is what we call, "Living the life," but it goes past that. You must be able to motivate, encourage, edify, correct, and teach. You must really care about the members of your congregation, you have to love them. You cannot fake this. They will see through it in a heartbeat. You can't ask people to do things that you are not willing to do yourself. That does not mean you have to do it all yourself, but you have to be willing to if it is needed.

I could ramble on for a while on this subject (I guess I have), but brobobby, don't despair. Even if you are a poor leader now God is in the business of making men and you can develop the leadership traits you need to succeed. Look at the leaders God made: Men like Moses, Joseph, David, and Daniel.

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Leaders set the tone, the expectations, and the energy and inspire others to get out of their comfort zones. Many pastors are good pastors but poor leaders. It is not uncommon, nor is it unfixable ...

5. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

being a good leader is knowing when to take the initiative and doing it in leadership matters. A good minister will allow and even encourage those in leadership positions to make their own choices but will step in from time to time to make needed adjustments or decisions as God directs.