1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What does it mean to submit?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by knasmom, Jul 3, 2008.

1. knasmom

knasmom New Member

With regard to both husbands and wives and our relationship with God, what does submission mean to you? What do you think is gained through submission?

2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Come on fellows, give the lady an answer..........:)

BBob,

3. trustitl

trustitl New Member

When a person submits to God, they are allow Him to have the role He is supposed to have in their life. When a wife submits to her husband, she is doing the same with her man. A wife is created to be a helpmeet to her husband. Society, and sadly parts of the "church" has taken this away from wives and has hindered them from being what they were created for.

When submission is practiced properly one functions according to the order created by God. A child is to submit to his parents and in so doing is able to allow the authority ordained by God to function in his life. The same goes for citizens and the government or employees and bosses.

"For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry." I Samuel 15:23

4. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

To me, submission is putting others ahead of yourself.

5. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Very good! :godisgood:

6. knasmom

knasmom New Member

Could you please describe submission functioning properly. You discussed submission but never defined it or gave an example of it.

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Submission to me simply means to accept the authority of another.

8. I Am Blessed 24

God
    Husband
    Wife
    Children
    Grandchildren
    Parents
    Grandparents

Some may disagree with me, but IMHO this is submission functioning properly. Of course, submitting one to another, but in the order above.

I already gave one example:

1) Putting others wishes before your own.

Here is another one:

2) If you want one thing and your husband wants another, sit down and talk about it, pray about it together, seek Godly counsel, and if you still cannot come into agreement, do what your husband says.

If it is a wrong move, your husband is responsible before God, because you are in your place of submission to your husband. You still need to support your husband so he can correct his mistake.

Saying "I told you so" is how NOT to be submissive. :laugh:

#8 I Am Blessed 24, Jul 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2008
  9. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Wow! I thought wives such as these were only found in the ancient scriptures. :laugh:

Unfortunately I have one of those contentious ones. :tear: Pray for her please! :praying:

Seriously, do pray for her contentious spirit to be gone.

10. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

It means she better do what I tell her.... And once I get the nerve to tell her I'll let you know if that works... :laugh:

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Well you start on your knees......................, first you say "honnnneeeyyy, are you in a submissive mood, or should I wait for a while, always keep a humble tone in your voice and be ready to accept rejection". It may take many tries, but a quiter never succeeds in nothing.............. BTW, wear a helmet always. :laugh:

BBob,

#11 Brother Bob, Jul 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2008
  12. trustitl

trustitl New Member

The first part of submission functioning properly is acknowledging whom we submit to. Everybody has many opportunities to submit or rebel. First of all it is to God Himself. Without that done the rest of our submission will still be out of order for that is whom we were created to submit to and it was for Him we were created.

I am assuming you are focusing on the husband wife issue of submission so I will go from there. Looking back at the creation of Adam and Eve, we see that Eve was created FOR the man. She was created to be his helpmeet. Without accepting that submission will never come. A wife doing so will be functioning as she was created. Also, I think it is vital that a man needs to acknowledge that he was created to NEED a helpmeet. Here again, without that he will not be able to "submit" to her being his helpmeet.

This is hard to swallow for most women and society has fed that desire for a woman to rule over her man. In turn the men are fighting to hold "their" ground. This is the breeding ground for contention and ultimately divorce.

It is easy for us to see that there is a created order in the following relationships:

Parent-child
    Government-citizen
    Boss-worker
    Police-driver

So to summarize, submission is a gift from God that is for our good. It is like a car that is operating on all cylinders and in perfect time. It is like an orchestra that has all instruments under the directors guidance. When a car is out of timing the efficiency and power diminishes. When an instrument plays out of turn the audience cringes. So too, our homes and marriages are able to have power and be a thing of beauty or be inefficient and cause our hearts to bleed.

Below is a link to a ministry that I think has a good grasp on husband wife relations.

http://www.nogreaterjoy.org/articles/marriage-family/husbandwife-relations/

13. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

submit: accept or yield to a superior force or stronger person. Concise Oxford Dictionary. Do wives submit to husbands because they are "superior" or "stronger"?

#13 JFox1, Jul 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2008
  14. I Am Blessed 24

They are not superior, but it's our job to make them think they are...:laugh:

15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

16. trustitl

trustitl New Member

Do children submit to their parents because they are superior or stronger? No. Neither is that the case with husband-wife.

17. trustitl

trustitl New Member

I did laugh with you, but their is a lot of truth in what you say here. :thumbs:

18. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

I see the "submission" of the wife to her husband issue to be very much misunderstood, imo.

Compared to the passage about the wifes "submission" to her husband, we find mulitudes upon multitudes of scriptures that speak of the principle that ALL of us, men and women, married or single, together....in other words, ALL CHRISTIANS...are to be slow to speak, and quick to listen, that we are to be humble and respectful of others, that we are ALL to be humble and TEACHABLE. (Both women and men)

I'm not going to post all of the scriptures, since I am confident that everyone is biblically literate enough to know that they are there.

So, in light of the abundance of those scriptures, compared to the relativly few scriptures speaking to "wifely submission", I would say that the important thing in marriage is for the wife to be quick to listen to her husband, and the husband should be equally quick to listen to his wife.

The wife should accept that maybe the husbands idea is better, while the husband should be equally accepting of the possibility that the wifes idea could be better. And if so, change and go along with her idea.

If he is to "love his wife as Christ loved the church" (as the passage says) than that would mean sometimes being the one to "submit", since Christ "submitted" to the point of death for His "wife" (the Church)

They both should be equally able and willing to joyfully "submit" to each other.

Now, back to the scripture about the wifes "submission" to her husband.

I believe that with all of the previous in mind, the submission of the wife would come into play when they reach a complete "stalemate". Regarding the issue at hand, there is a disagreement and neither side will budge.

Well...a decision HAS to be made. You cant go left and right at the same time.

The husband makes the decision, and the 2 of them go in that direction.

And if it doesnt work out, we men all know full well what "I told you so" can sound like at those times. :laugh:

:godisgood:

19. Alive in Christ

I AM BLESSED 18...

You said...

Ha ha! I had not seen your post yet when I posted mine just above.

Great minds think alike, you know! :wavey:

:godisgood:

#19 Alive in Christ, Jul 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2008
  20. Alive in Christ

>>>edit<<<

duplicate post

#20 Alive in Christ, Jul 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2008