1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What does the Catholic Church say about us who believe in salvation by faith alone?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by annsni, May 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now, now. We're separated brethren.

2. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What? we just had a conversation in another thread a couple weeks ago when you declared a person could reject Jesus Christ is the Son of God and still be saved by the good Samaritan clause. As long as a person loved God they could be saved even if they rejected Jesus Christ. It went as follows quote for quote...

Steaver...
    So how is a person saved Adonia?

"Can any religious, God loving person make a freewill conscience decision to reject Jesus Christ is the Son of God and still be saved?

What sayeth the scripture...

"Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved. For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge"

Paul says they have a zeal of God?!

What is "zeal" ?

zeal
    zēl/
    noun

1. great energy or enthusiasm in pursuit of a cause or an objective.
      "his zeal for privatization"
      synonyms: passion, ardor, love, fervor, fire, avidity, devotion, enthusiasm, eagerness, keenness, appetite, relish, gusto, vigor, energy, intensity;
      fanaticism

Why does Paul declare Israel's love of God does not save them, yet the RCC declares that people's love of God will save them? Why does your religion's declarations override the Apostle Paul's declarations?

Adonia...
    “I personally would not try to say what God would or would not do when it comes to being saved and neither is the Catholic Church despite what St. Paul says”.

3. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Could God forgive the most vile sinner if he wants, even if that person showed no repentance? Of course He could, He's God, so I stand by my statement. God can do whatever He wants anytime He wants to do it DESPITE THE WORDS OF ST. PAUL. That is what the Catholic Church is basically saying, God controls all and everything in the end is left up to him. No Bishop in the Catholic Church denies the salvation offered by Christ by His death and resurrection - not one!

As for St. Paul, many times he is giving his observations, such as when he talks about men not having long hair and women going into church without their hair being covered, or women keeping quiet in church. Do we have to agree with him all the time on things such as those? I don't think so.

Why does the Catholic Church's pronouncements override St. Paul's? Because the Church was given the power to change things. When I was a youngster, women had to cover their hair at Mass just like St. Paul said, but then this requirement was changed with no problem at all. Do the women in your church keep silent and wear a hair covering?

#63 Adonia, May 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
  4. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    One could say that, but the Roman church doesn't say that at all.

The Roman church says that taking communion is the means by which you receive Christ and His atonement for sins. Thus Jesus death is an ongoing process and your salvation is not secure until you die and the priest secures your position via last rites.
    It is a perversion of the scriptures and a teaching that is not sound doctrine.

5. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is your interpretation of what the Catholic Church teaches.

6. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is what the Roman church teaches. I understand that it is hard to accept when you are deeply embedded and when there is a remnant of believers who are truly saved within the church. You may very well be one of the remnant for which I would rejoice. All I ask is that we look honestly at our churches and weigh them against the scriptures like the church at Berea did with the Apostle Paul.
    Peace

7. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    [
    The "Anointing of the Sick" sacrament is as follows. In paragraph 1523 entitled: A preparation for the final journey, the Church says: "If the sacrament of the anointing of the sick is given to all who suffer from serious illness..........even more rightly is it given to those at the point of departing this life.......". And: "..... This last anointing fortifies the end of our earthly life like a solid rampart for the final struggles before entering the Father's house". What in heaven's name is wrong with that teaching?

But let us go to the Scriptures shall we? "Is any among you sick? Let him call for the presbyters of the Church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord; and the prayer of faith will save the sick man, and the Lord will raise him up; and if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven". (James 5: 14-15).

Don't you pray for family members and friends who are sick or dying? I sure hope so, and the Church as a whole does likewise.

8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the RCC teaches that we must get enough credit from taking sacraments in order to merit our salvation, correct?

9. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Nope.

You don't ask Nazis how the Jewish faith works.

Sacraments is a FANCY WORD for Gifts from God.

Do you believe God has ever forgiven you? That is a Sacrament, you have sacraments.

People have problem with the WORD sacrament and try to vilify others around it.

Has anyone been married? THAT is a Sacrament. I don't have to be married to be saved.

Now do you have to be forgiven by God to be saved? That is a sacrament.

So do you need God's gift of forgiveness to be saved? If you say yes, Then you believe Sacraments are required for salvation.

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The RCC teaches officially that we MUST co operate with the Grace of God, as we MUST actually necome good enough to merit God saving us!
    It denies that a sinner can be declared to be right with God by God just due to faith alone in Jesus, so that makes them teaching heresy!

11. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Of course one must co-operate with God, anything less makes one out of touch with Him. One just cannot lay claim to the title Christian, one must act accordingly. And then to grace, what is it? It is the work of God in our lives.

12. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No, not correct. The Sacraments, those "sacred" things, help us to live holy and pleasing lives to God, they bring us closer to Him as we live here on earth.

13. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What are the final struggles?

Will the last rites save a person or keep them from burning in hell?

The passage in James is God's word. The practice of the Roman church is merely a tradition with no biblical merit. It's like a parent praying with their child when they have a fever. It may be a nice thing to do, but there is nothing in the Bible that tells parents to pray with their sick kids.

14. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Maybe. They may also act as a ceremony that people lean on as their magical good luck charm.
    I have met far too many Roman church members who trust the church, but don't know the Savior.

15. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Oh I see, even when I point out direct from the Scriptures a passage that buttresses an orthodox Christian teaching, you deny it. So sad.

The Scriptures tell us to pray all the time. "Ask and you shall receive" - don't you remember that one? And hey, didn't St. Paul tell us to "pray for one another"? Or "pray unceasingly". I thought you knew the Scriptures - apparently I was mistaken.

#75 Adonia, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
  16. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jesus and His Holy Church cannot be separated, they are one.

17. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Satan doesn't cooperate with God either and agrees with you.

18. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sure they do. But the scriptures share nothing about a celebate priesthood or last rites.
    Adonia, there is a difference between God's inspired word and a tradition started by one church in the city of Rome.

19. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Indeed, Jesus is the head and his chosen people are the body. The Roman church is just a group that is no different than the Free Church in Topeka, Kansas. There will be some in the congregation who are truly believers and some whom Jesus doesn't know.
    Where you have zero standing is in imagining that the Roman church and it's leaders are in Christ. Sadly the non-biblical teachings of the Roman church cannot be anything that Jesus is pleased with.

20. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Verse please. I want to read these statements where Satan agrees with God's word.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.