1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What does Thy Kingdom Come Thy Will be Done mean?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by rockytopva, May 13, 2021.

1. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    My daily prayer consists of at least...

My Father which art in heaven
    Hallowed be Thy name
    Thy Kingdom come Thy will be done
    As earth as it is in heaven
    Give me today my daily bread
    Forgive me my debts as I forgive my debtors
    Lead me not into sin but deliver me from evil
    For thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory
    The light and the energy! For ever and ever!
    In Jesus name I pray.... Amen!

It’s a powerful thing to pray Thy Kingdom Come, or as we would say in modern English, Your Kingdom Come. It’s a prayer that summarizes the entire Bible. But it brings up a lot of questions: What is God’s Kingdom? How does it come to earth? When will it happen? For decades, I have prayed 'the Lord’s Prayer’ without really understanding it. To stop feeling like I am babbling my prayers like a pagan, I desire to discover what Jesus really meant in this line of the Lord’s Prayer.

What does Thy Kingdom Come Thy Will be Done mean?

Thoughts?

#1 rockytopva, May 13, 2021
    Last edited: May 13, 2021
  2. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  3. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Praying for the Second Advent of Christ. He sets up His literal Kingdom on Earth and rules as as He rules Heaven. No more evil. No more sin. No more curse.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There can be a bit of difficulty in trying to understand a prayer for the kingdom to come, when Jesus had also said that it has come, as in Matthew 12:28. For both these concepts of the kingdom to be true, we must conclude the kingdom is multi-level, per se.

This reminds me of a Church of Christ minister on the radio one time, mocking the idea of a millennial kingdom which Christ will rule from Jerusalem, invoking the "has come" phrase. I had heard that same guy tow the line about instrumental music before. He points out the reference to trumpets in heaven and said "Folks, God has a different will for heaven than for us on earth." I meant to write him about the meaning of "Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven" concerning that, but I don't recall if I did or not. I do remembering writing him once about his contention that Judas Iscariot was saved and lost his salvation, but of course there was no answer. For the record, many years ago I gave up that hobby of listening to those guys I know I won't agree with.