1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What ever happened to “sound Doctrine”?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by stilllearning, May 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There was a nice lady who started attending our church. She became a regular for about 6 months, and then, one Sunday, she didn't show up, and after that, she was never there. I asked a deacon, he said "she was charismatic and kept trying to convince us that is was biblical, when we showed her she was wrong, she was sad and left"

Pastor asked her to pick up a poisonous snake if the gifts were still available.....and she couldn't.

#21 dcorbett, May 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2011
  2. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Here is what has happened to sound doctrine. It has been swept out the church doors with the trash in place of the "feel good" stories the preachers preach nowadays. They state all you have to do is come and give them your hand, repeat this prayer after him, and wal-lah, you're saved!!! No mention of a Godly sorrow being set up in one's life, no preaching repentance, no begging and crying to the Lord for His undeserved mercy, just come and give them your hand.....

Another thing is the "health/wealth" garbage being passed down through the tee vees. Send us your $10,000 seed, and we'll buy new clothes, houses, cars...err, I mean, God will bless you with a TEN FOLD gift!! I think it was P.T. Barnum that stated, "A sucker is born every minute!" Look at all the churches who support what I just posted. Preach about how God delivered your coon dog from the bite of a rattlesnake, and the church will erupt in shouts!! Tell them about how God delivered them from hell by Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection, and you'll hear crickets chirping like everytime Daffy Duck went to get applause from the audience.

3. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you're looking for sound doctrine, why on Earth are you here?

4. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

So you are saying you can't give sound Doctrine? :laugh: Interesting.

A believer can always glean "Sound Doctrine" from any discussion.

5. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Then the devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. “If you are the Son of God,” he said, “throw yourself down. For it is written:“‘He will command his angels concerning you,
    and they will lift you up in their hands,
    so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.’”
    Jesus answered him, “It is also written: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.

Matthew 4:5-7

6. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm saying that BaptistBoard is extremely liberal and most of the people who have taken over wouldn't know sound doctrine if they tripped over it.

7. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

By your statement it sounded like you were saying EVERYONE on BB has no sound doctrine, which would include you if you post.

8. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, he/she said "MOST", and I tend to agree with that.

9. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

I should have said his/her original statement in post 23.

Here is what was said

"If you're looking for sound doctrine, why on Earth are you here?"

That to me says there is noone here that supplies it, there is no most in the statement. But it was my fault for not saying in the original post, forgive me.

10. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't see how you could have gotten that but then, I don't see how most of the people here think what they do.

11. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

When you say" if your looking for sound doctrine, why come here?" Umm isn't that saying there is none here? That's how I read it sorry if you meant it a different way.

12. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I agree with the tobacco comment; it is not specifically covered by scripture.

But how can you say something that the Bible calls "shameful" (men having long hair), something that "falls under" the heading of "liberty in Christ?" Homosexual acts are also called "shameful"...do those also fall under that heading?

13. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whatever. ...

14. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Didn't mean to get you mad sorry.

15. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

You bring up a point that I find interesting. I havent studied it out yet, but I'm thinking it has more to do with an issue of culture and not so much one of command. There are commands specifically addressing... Um, well, the thing you referred to that's not-supposed-to-be-talked-about-here. Well, I digress, I'll just say that it's more of a cultural issue similar to the woman covering her head or having long hair and her adornings, foot washing, etc. Regarding culture, this is a topic I'd like to create a new thread on...

16. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, whatever.

17. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

:laugh::laugh::laugh: :godisgood:

18. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

This is where so much error is introduced into the church. We cannot point to "culture" every time the Bible gives us a command, so that we re-write the word of God in our own image.

Paul does not base his statement on culture. He does not say "that is just not accepted, here." He says

1Co 11:14 Does not nature itself teach you that if a man wears long hair it is a disgrace for him,
    1Co 11:15 but if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For her hair is given to her for a covering.

So, it is not a "cultural" thing. "Nature" here is the same word used in Romans 1:26...

Rom 1:26 For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature;

In other words, short hair on women, and long hair on men, is intrinsically wrong, the same way that homosexuality is.

Also, I do not believe the rules forbid the mention of homosexuality, since this would exclude scripture, but the in depth discussion of it.

19. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sound doctrine has been under attack from day one.

1 John 2
    18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.
    19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.​

It will get worse:​

2 Timothy 3
    12 Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.
    13 But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.
    14 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them;
    15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.​

The devil is the origin (of course) and his prime target is the word of God.​

Matthew 13
    19 When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side.​

The devil has counterfeit believers and ministers:​

Matthew 13
    38 The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one;
    39 The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels.​

2 Corinthians 11
    13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
    14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
    15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.​

How it will end:​

Matthew 13
    41 The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;
    42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.
    43 Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.​

HankD​

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What ever happened to “sound Doctrine”?

It went out the door & in the garbage & now welcome to the Apostasy Magic Show.

Dont believe me....come up to New Jersey on any given Sunday!:tear:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.