1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What gifts are required for exorcism?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by UnchartedSpirit, Aug 25, 2006.

1. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

SHould it be instinct for a exorcist to know if a demon is there, and what to say to cast it out? Reason being I saw a Christian today start singing at this guy screaming and swaring at anything around him, I didn't feel safe enough to stay and see the results though. I don't know if she knew if the guy was possessed or on some mind eating substances, but It did not feel right to me how she handled this situtation. If she didn't know the cause to this guy's problems, should she have tried to bring him back to his senses?

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

There is no gift for casting out demons. The apostles were given this power by Jesus.

I think this is a very tricky area -- none of the epistles to the churches in the NT address casting out demons. We are told to submit to God, resist the devil, and he will flee.

Most churches who get into this also believe that Christians can be possessed, which I do not think is biblical. See this article:
    http://www.equip.org/free/DD075.htm

Some of these churches or people who do this call themselves "deliverance ministries." In my experience, their theology is often askew.

It is difficult to tell if someone is mentally ill (which I think is what it is most times) or just deluded and think they are possessed. One of the traits of schizophrenia is to be obsessed with demons and demonic activity.

But for sure, no believer is possessed.

3. TheWinDork

TheWinDork New Member

Courage!

:laugh:

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

So which one had the demon and needed the exorcism?

We had a little boy in our Church I swore was posessed. This was the badest little boy to ever walk the face of this earth. Every Sunday his mother would bring him to the alter for prayer. I wonder if this lady takes her show on the road, sure could have used her help...

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At my last church I often wondered if Satans sister sat 10 pues back on the right. One thing was for sure there was a heavy spirit that filled the room whenever she came in.

I wouldnt be to focused on excorcism. But we are in a spiritual battle for sure. The best weapons to fight effectively in this battle are:

1. Purity - Stay pure and free from sin
    2. The Word of God - Any battles with Satan cannot be won without the power of the gospel
    3. Prayer - James 5:16.....The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.
    4. Fasting - a lost tool among christians today but needful and effective

6. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

We're told in Ephesians 6 to put on the whole armor of God and to be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might, that we may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
    Ephesians6:10-20 describes each part and its importance. A frequent review of this is helpful for us to see if we're lax in any armor part and in need of restoration, otherwise we just keep trying to fight battles in our way, in our own self.

7. UnchartedSpirit

as a matter of fact: If Salvation is as all sufficient for Humanity, or if Christ is as Soverign onver the planet as we say he is, shouldn't that mean there is no phyisical demonic activity period on the planet right now?

8. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

If salvation . . . .

if Christ is as sovereign as we say He is . . .

Sounds like you have your mind made up . . .

You should have stuck around and seen the power of God move . . .

Maybe then you would remove the 'if' from Jesus Christ.

9. UnchartedSpirit

10. npetreley

npetreley New Member

What gifts are required for exorcism? None, really, but the recipient might appreciate a set of Tai Bo tapes, or maybe some Jane Fonda workout videos and some free weights. If you have money to burn, maybe get them a bowflex.

11. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Exorcism! Exorcism!

Not exercism!

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

This thread has taken a really weird turn. :rolleyes:

I think it should be exorcised.