1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What happend to the church of Acts chapter 2 ?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jellico25w, Sep 4, 2007.

1. jellico25w

jellico25w New Member

What happend to the church of Acts 2 ?
    First off,i don't want to take Acts 2 :42-47 out of context, i know communal sharing was practiced for a brief time in the early church and not even throughout the complete book of Acts. Due to Peter's sermons in Acts 2,3 the believers sold their land and possessions and gave to the Apostles thinking Jesus was coming very soon, hence the selling of almost all things. However we the (church) are called to be good stewards of what God has entrusted to us and share willingly and cheerfully ( 2 Cor 8,9). The point i am making is this.Today the church has more resources than ever, yet unlike the early churches ( 2 Cor 8:2,3,4,8,11-24, 2 Cor 9:1-15) who willingly gave even to their own hurt. As i look around in Knoxville,TN, there are so many struggling churches who can only afford one service on Sunday's and in the winter they cancel Wednesday service or bible study because they can't pay the electric,and heat bill. Than you look around ( especially) the suburbs and you see Mega Churches( we have several) and there is one expanding to add a indoor video game room, indoor basketball court, etc. Their is even one church where the city has had to actually reconstruct the main road to ease Sunday morning traffic congestion. I know God is not against His people and His church being prosperous, but i think He cannot be pleased with a church having five 100 inch plasma television sets hanging in the chapel , pastors using laptop reading the word from computers rather than the bible, and the church three miles down the road with rain dripping through the roof and services canceled due to not being able to pay the heat, air and light bills. I know a majority of the affluent churches do charitable works, but surely some of the wealth can be funneled to their local churches as well? " For the administration of this service not only supplieth the want of the saints, but is abundant also by many thanksgiving unto God for your professed subjection into the gospel of Christ, and for your liberal distribution unto them, and unto all men."( 2 Cor 9:12,13) That is just My conviction. Grace and Peace to you, jellico.

#1 jellico25w, Sep 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2007
  2. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Churches today are businesses, so you have to think like a business owner or large coporation in order to succeed. The Mega Churches are like the Tom Thumbs, or Krogers of the world, they come to your town and take out the little man.

The Big Corporate Churches are thinking the way big business does. What areas are we like the competition, what can we offer that the others don't.

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Until we are truly able to break down our denominational walls and realize that we are all part of the body of Christ, whether Baptists or not, we will continue to have these inconsistencies.

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I'm really conflicted about this question. There's a part of me which agrees with jellico, and the plight of those struggling churches tugs at my heart. I'm hesitant to cast the more affluent churches in th role of bad guys , though. It assumes that they are aware of those churches' difficulties and refuse to help. I don't think we ought to assume that.

I say the following with some apprehension because it could very well be taken the wrong way. Some of these struggling churches need to do some soul searching. They need to ask themselves some very tough questions. One of those questions is, should they simply disband. Asking the question doesn't presume the answer, but it at least should be asked and discussed.

I know, I know, that some folks are in love with that old building where momma and daddy took me to church when I was a baby, it's the only church I've ever known, it's got so much history and so many memories, and on and on.

On the other, other hand, it very well could be that this ole church is the only one left in the neighbor, literally the only light in the community, since all the others moved away. Those are the kinds that need help.

See, I've laid out the issues and taken both sides at the same time.

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

How about the question, "Why, with a unified church in Acts 2, one Spirit, acting in unity, have we as humans managed to take that one church and make humdreds of Protestant denominations, Catholics, various Orthodox, and several fringe groups?"

Why is that? Why do we as humans seek to further divide the church? What do you think God thinks of all of the denominations? Are you sure you are in the closest one to Scripture?

Nah, lets divide it again and make a more pure denomination.