1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What happens to a person at bodily death?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Alcott, Jul 15, 2017.

?
  1. The saved soul goes straight to heaven/paradise

8 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. The saved soul ‘sleeps’ and awaits the millennial kingdom

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. The saved soul ‘sleeps’ and awaits a final judgment

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. The soul—saved or lost—goes to a ‘prison’ to await judgment

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. The saved soul is reunited with saved worldly family and friends

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. The lost soul goes straight to hell/hades and is tormented

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  7. The lost soul goes to ‘prison’ and awaits judgment

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  8. The saved soul goes to heaven/paradise, but there is nothing like a “reunion” with loved ones

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. The lost soul ceases to exist, either after bodily death or a judgment

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  10. There is a ‘lake of fire,’ but the lost cease to exist after being thrown into it

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Eccl 12:7 then the dust will return to the earth as it was, and the spirit will return to God who gave it

Nothing at all like "our friend Lazarus' BODY is asleep I go that I may wake IT".

Rather "our FRIEND Lazarus sleeps - I go that I may wake HIM".

2 Corinthians 5:8. 'We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.'

Three different states.

2 Cor 5

For we know that if the earthly tent which is our house is torn down, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. 2 For indeed in this house we groan, longing to be clothed with our dwelling from heaven, 3 inasmuch as we, having put it on, will not be found naked. 4 For indeed while we are in this tent, we groan, being burdened, because we do not want to be unclothed but to be clothed, so that what is mortal will be swallowed up by life.

1. In this house - alive but in a decaying tent
    2 The unclothed state -- no body at all
    3. The clothed stated - the immortal eternal body

1 Cor 15

20 But now Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who are asleep. 21 For since by a man came death, by a man also came the resurrection of the dead. 22 For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ all will be made alive. 23 But each in his own order: Christ the first fruits, after that those who are Christ’s at His coming, 24 then comes the end, when He hands over the kingdom to the God and Father, when He has abolished all rule and all authority and power.

35 But someone will say, “How are the dead raised? And with what kind of body do they come?”

42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown a perishable body, it is raised an imperishable body; 43 it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; 44 it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body. ...

50 Now I say this, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable. 51 Behold, I tell you a mystery; we will not all sleep, but we will all be changed, 52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet; for the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. 53 For this perishable must put on the imperishable, and this mortal must put on immortality. 54 But when this perishable will have put on the imperishable, and this mortal will have put on immortality, then will come about the saying that is written, “Death is swallowed up in victory. 55 O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?” 56 The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law; 57 but thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

clearly 3 different states. Alive in this earthly tent being torn down. Dead and clothed. then at the last trump given the immortal body.

No punctuation marks in Luke 16. "surely I say unto you today you SHALL be with Me in paradise" -- with John 20 confirming Christ had not yet gone to paradise even by the time of his resurrection.

without that comma -- he was not promising that they would both be in heaven that day. -- and there is no punctuation in the Greek text.

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes - Paradise is where the Tree of Life is -- Rev 2... which is where the Throne of God is Rev 22
    it is in the 3rd Heaven - 2 Cor 12:2.
    That is the only Paradise being referenced in Luke 23.

And in John 20 on Sunday morning Jesus confirms "I have not YET been to the Father" -- not yet been to Paradise.