1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is a cult

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Salty, Sep 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    :)
    Come on ... is saying 'many people disagree with the same things that I disagree with' really the same as saying that 'I have not discovered an interpretation that no Christian has seen in 2000 years of studying the word of God.'

A great many published authors agree that Mormonism is false. Scientologists believe that Mormonism is false. That does not mean that all of those authors believe that Scientology is true. You are quick to tell EVERYONE that you do not believe in Calvinism, but you are just as quick to deny being an Arminian and you are guarded at stating what you do believe. That leaves most people knowing more about what you are not, than what you are ...

[... except argumentative. EVERYONE knows that you and I are both naturally argumentative. ;) ]

2. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    I deleted it because you asked the question of someone else and it was a mistake for me to respond to it.
    (so I am not pursuing that conversation further).

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another false assertion, for I have painstakenly supported all my views from scripture.

Here is a recent post: Doctrinal View

#63 Van, Oct 1, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  4. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seeing how you responded to attempts at conversation THERE, I will just say "Goodby" and end our conversation, here.
    Time to cut my losses and find something edifying.

5. Mikey

Mikey Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Okay, lets read through your church's confession. :Biggrin

Creed = Confession = Statement of Faith = "What we Believe"

#65 Mikey, Oct 1, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would you be included your own theology expressed here at times in that also?

7. Mikey

Mikey Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are arguing against how confessions are used and the content of theological doctrines of individual confessions rather than the concept of confessions. There are many confessions that exist, and many with doctrine you and I would disagree with. But you yourself have admitted that your church has a confession, which you helped write.

It is contradictory to be against confessions when you yourself use a confession.

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus was and is the ONLY Son of God as being very God by His nature, none else can claim that!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree, but you are "shouting at the wind" ... nothing useful will come from pursuing it. (I considered creating a topic to discuss it, but quickly saw from the scripture where the arguments would lead. Nobody wins and Christ is definitely not glorified.)

Walk away and start a topic about something positive that you feel passionate about. I was thinking about exploring scripture for the theme that God is looking for JUST ONE SPECIFIC PERSON! Think about the woman at the well. Jesus went out of his way to arrange to be alone at that place to change the life of just one specific person. Jesus did not set out to win the Samaritan Nation, the Apostles went to Samaria with the gospel after Jesus was ascended. Think about the Demoniac across the lake where Jesus crossed a lake, healed one man, and then got back in the boat and sailed across the lake to where he started.

Wouldn't that be better than arguing over who is a "son of God" with Van?

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would not any and all statement of beliefs contain a measure of error, as none of us are living Apostles?

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sir, you have shown yourself to be some sort of non-answering machine.

The "top down" denominations require affiliated churches to agree with their "confession or creed."

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does Y1 think bogus unbiblical doctrine is ok if repeats it as often as he can?

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Liberals redefine words to pour false doctrine into the subject. Now a local church "What we believe" statement is a Confession.
    I kid you not...

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You seem to hold to that!

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So Adam was not a son of God. Got it. Born anew believers are not "sons of God." Got it...
    How can Y1 be wrong nearly all the time?

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You seem to make up false charges and post them non-stop. Where is the quote.
    How can Y1 be wrong almost all the time?

17. Mikey

Mikey Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really how so? You are changing to topic of the conversation, from are confessions bad in of themselves to the issue with how confessions are used. I have not had a clear answer to my posts, if you agree or disagree with what i've stated. Do you agree with my statement that Creeds = Confessions = Statements of Faith = "What we believe".? if you agree that there is nothing wrong with a confession in of themselves then we can more on to the topic of the issues in how confession are used/viewed.

Without going into the various church poliety, as im do not know enough about all the specifics, however in general i see no real difference in a denominational wide confession and a individual church confession. As you stated before, if a person doesnt agree

Are you accusing me of being a Liberal? Can you explain how how "what we believe" is not a Confession?

18. Mikey

Mikey Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    i don't see anything particularly wrong with having a denominational wide statement of belief. As you said if someone disagrees then they can go to a different church. The church chooses to be part of the denomination and can choose to leave.

19. Mikey

Mikey Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, thats why confessions should not be used as a lense which to study Scripture. Or "venerated" and viewed as something more than it is. Sadly this seems to happen with some people, who adopt a confession for the purpose of being "confessional".

20. Mikey

Mikey Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    what is your definition of a cult?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.