1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is a deacon?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Chemnitz, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

I have seen Baptist and non-denoms use this term in reference to a church office, but I am not sure exactly what a deacon is, we do not have deacons in the Lutheran Church. So what are deacons and what do they do?

2. mman

mman New Member

A deacon is literally a servant.

Phil 1:1, "1Paul and Timothy, servants of Christ Jesus, To all the saints in Christ Jesus who are at Philippi, with the overseers (the elders) and deacons:

Here you have the organization of the local church: saints, overseers (or elders), and deacons.

The qualifications of deacons are found in I Tim 3: 8-13 "Deacons likewise must be dignified, not double-tongued, not addicted to much wine, not greedy for dishonest gain. 9They must hold the mystery of the faith with a clear conscience. 10And let them also be tested first; then let them serve as deacons if they prove themselves blameless. 11Their wives likewise must be dignified, not slanderers, but sober-minded, faithful in all things. 12Let deacons each be the husband of one wife, managing their children and their own households well. 13For those who serve well as deacons gain a good standing for themselves and also great confidence in the faith that is in Christ Jesus."

Hope this helps.

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

We don't have deacons in our church either. The word means "servant" and that is all. If you read Darby's translation, he gives a fairly accurate translation translating deacon as servant, and office as service.
    There is no "office" of a deacon as it describes in the KJV. If you look those two verses up, you won't find the word "office" in the Greek. It is a service or ministry that is being referred to. There is no such thing as an "office" of a deacon.

4. billwald

billwald New Member

In the Christian Reformed Church the deacons are responsible for financial matters, for the physical plant, and for financial and other assistance to members and to the general public (charity).

5. mman

mman New Member

While the word office may not be in the Greek, what is being described is a special servant, one with qualifications. I Tim 3:13, "Those who have served well..." is not talking about all servants, but the deacons, the ones with qualifications.

Verse 10 states, "They must first be tested; and then if there is nothing against them, let them serve as deacons."

All christians are servants. Here he is talking about special servants, having been tested, before they can "serve as deacons".

Just as the elders (also described as pastors/bishiop/overseers/shepherds) have qualifications, so do the deacons.

6. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

A deacon is a servant.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

While the word office may not be in the Greek, what is being described is a special servant, one with qualifications. I Tim 3:13, "Those who have served well..." is not talking about all servants, but the deacons, the ones with qualifications.

Verse 10 states, "They must first be tested; and then if there is nothing against them, let them serve as deacons."

All christians are servants. Here he is talking about special servants, having been tested, before they can "serve as deacons".

Just as the elders (also described as pastors/bishiop/overseers/shepherds) have qualifications, so do the deacons.
    </font>[/QUOTE][​IMG]

8. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

I appreciate all the posts. I did know before hand that diaconia means servant. I was more interested to know what they do in churches that have an "office/position" of deacon.

9. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In direct contrast, in our church, the members described above are called "trustees", except for the part about filling needs in the community. The "deacon's fund" in our church is for that, an offering taken once a month along with the communion service. Deacons in our church are spiritual leaders, who as a group, both male and female, oversee programs, policies, interview candidates for baptism and membership, and serve as the elders in spiritual things. The men also serve communion, the women prepare it.