1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What is a legalist?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Apr 3, 2017.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was described as one yesterday which would be a first. I'll bet I was taken out of context or misunderstood in the area of evangelism as being WOTM Only, when I have told this person and others more than 50 times that I am WOTM preferred. The LAW is a very powerful way to evangelize and what I default too in conversations but by no means is it the only way to do evangelism. Other reasons why I am a legalist may be associated to my view on alcohol which by the way is the Biblical view and that held also by John Piper. But this thread is not abut alcohol, but about legalism.

In my def a legalist is someone with a list of do's and dont's. Someone who uses ONLY the King James Version of the Bible, someone who only thinks that traditional hymns are the ONLY way to worship God, someone who thinks that tithing is for today, when the Bible clearly teaches Free-Will giving in the NT, and so on. So what is a legalist?

2. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A legalist is someone who thinks they will earn favor with God by doing something.

Dictionary.com's answer-
    strict adherence, or the principle of strict adherence, to law or prescription, especially to the letter rather than the spirit.
    Theology.
    1. the doctrine that salvation is gained through good works.
    2. the judging of conduct in terms of adherence to precise laws.
    I will add, legalists usually go above Scripture, meaning they add to the Word of God, in order to live out their preferences.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That and it's used in a derogatory way towards anyone that confronts you about questionable lifestyle choices. ;)

Rob

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A legalist is someone who is more legalistic than you

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A legalist can be on either side of an issue. For example I have been openly critized for not embracing "liberty" on issue in a church I used to go to. For example it was made very clear to me that since I was "free" to wear pants it was wrong for me to wear skirts to church (nevermind the fact I just like wearing skirts and dresses and this person knew I wore pants as well because of being on a coed softball team together. Also I was free to cut my hair short so why would I keep my hair long (maybe because I like long hair).
    I losts track of how many times I was critiqued for not embracing the hot new liberty of thr hour. I got to the point where anytime something would come up I would just say don't impose your "libert"y on me. It was a huge weight off my shoulders to get away from that legalistic seeker sensitive church.

So to me legalism is both You Can't.... but also you must....

And for those of you not following along what started this thread is that JonC called Evangelist a legalist because Evan was getting angry and insulting people for not accepting his idea that one can please themselves for God's Glory.
    It had nothing to do with WOTM.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Awesome. Succinct and to the point.

To reduce it even further it could be said that a legalist is anyone who says to be a good Christian you need:

"Jesus, plus...."

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  7. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    i guess i could also add that a legalist thinks they can gain favor with God by NOT doing something...

8. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A legalist is anyone who doesn't have a paid subscription to Relevant magazine.

• Like Like x 1
  9. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The way I heard it was, if your standards are stricter than mine, you're a legalist. If less strict, you're a liberal.

However, #1 under "Theology" in #2 is right on target.

• Like Like x 2
  10. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Works-Based *Sanctification* is something that usually goes under the radar.

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I use the term "legalism" I mean a "strict adherence, or the principle of strict adherence, to law or prescription, especially to the letter rather than the spirit".

Some define legalism as taking a "letter of the law" stance in opposition by restricting some action (e.g., it is a sin to drink alcohol because Scripture says...). Others seek a "letter of the law" justification for an action they enjoy (e.g., it is permissible to drink alcohol because Scripture says...). One stance is no less legalistic than the other.

What makes a person legalistic is not the activities endorsed or condemned, but the manner with which they hold Scripture. If I hold it as a rule book,either justifying my desires or condemning the actions of others, then I am missing the focus of God's Word....which is not prescriptive rules or justifications of actions,but God Himself.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A legalist is anyone who sees the pit-falls of alcohol consumption.

:Wink

• Like Like x 1
  13. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Someone who think that they come to God on their own terms, not on His, and that everyone else has to come their same way as h does!

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will drink to dat!:Biggrin

15. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Explain.

Why is my preferred evangelism method legalistic?

Why is enjoying a beverage legalistic?

16. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When you say that you drink to the glory of God and when you say that you want to show teetotalers that they are wrong you are stating that your drinking is better than teetotalers and that God likes it. You are trying to curry favor with God by drinking and you look down on people that don't drink as being in error.

That's legalism.

You're saying Jesus plus my drinking makes me a better Christian than others.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not up on all of the -isms, but wouldn't that be more akin to antinomianism than legalism?

18. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No that's not what I am saying! I am saying that they are in error and my position is more biblical but by no means do I earn more favor with God for he may strike me with a disease or dead even for having a more biblical position!

19. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2 sides of the same coin. Both sides think what they do or don't do makes them more spiritual and therefore closer to God then those who don't or do X.

The legalistic seeker sensitive church I went to probably leaned toward antinomianism but in the end it just lead to rules.
    Example at this church not using not "dressing down" on Sundays was looked down upon. Women not having short hair or men not having long hair was looked down upon.
    Not reading the latest pop book in Christian culture was looked down upon.
    Things most of us would figure were choices became unspoken requirements and those that didn't fall in line were taken to task for not being seeker friendly enough.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The method and the enjoyment themselves are not legalistic, and I never said that they were. I said that you, not the method or drinking, are legalistic.