1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Is Church For?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by John of Japan, Aug 9, 2011.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it is obvious from these verses that we are taught how to act in the church. But Matt. 18:15-17 is about how to correct a problem in the church, not specifically giving a purpose of the church. God willing, if the people are walking with God the steps given in Matt. 18 should never have to be followed! (And I do believe in church discipline.) And the other verses are incumbent on us every minute of every day. As I see it, they are not passages that tell us the purpose of the church as being how to improve relationships. I don't see a "smoking gun" in these passages about the purpose of the church.

2. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You make some good points and I'm mulling them over. One caveat: while you use some Scriptures that strongly support your point (Heb. 10:25 and Acts 2:42 in your first post), you use others that don't appear to directly be talking about the church (your Scriptures from 1 John in both of your posts). So you don't have a "smoking gun" in Scriptures per se to say that a purpose of the church is relationships, unless it be Heb. 10:25. And looking at Heb. 10:25, it says "exhorting one another." Is this really about human relationships? It may be, but I'm asking for clarification. You can exhort someone you don't even know. "Hey, this is the 10 items or less lane. You need to go over there."

There are some things that are unique to the church, things that we only do in connection with the church of Jesus Christ. There are others that we are to do every single minute of every day, and proper relationships with God and others are part of that.

Confucianism as practiced in China and Japan is all about relationships, both vertical and horizontal, though Confucius talked little about relating to Tien ([FONT= ]天[/FONT]), his word for God. I'm mulling over how your concept is different from Confucianism on the human side.

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think this is where we part company. I see the "core and key of God's plan" as us glorifying Him. This may be done without any human relationships in play, such as by Watchman Nee when he was all alone in a Chinese prison, suffering for the cause of Christ. Or Adoniram Judson in Burma, who after having lost his wife sat all alone by an empty grave wishing he were in it. But God gave both men the victory, and we can look at their lives and learn more about glorifying God with every fiber of our being. When even God seems to have abandoned us as in the case of Job or Nee or Judson we can still remain faithful and glorify Him.

All over the world, believers are alone with everyone around them opposing them, refusing any relationship with them, especially in Buddhist and Muslim lands. I recently heard of a young man here in Japan who trusted Christ as Savior and followed Him, only to have his family cut off all relations with him--a common occurance here. If the church were all about relationships, wouldn't he be a failure, since he had no active relationships with his family?

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John-not saying that relationships are "the" purpose of the church. Saying they're "a" purpose of the church, that it's something that should be encouraged and taught, especially for new members of the body/family--but not to the exclusion of the primary purpose of the church, which is to see souls saved.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    your making some good points here:thumbsup:

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So your saying the primary goal of church is to see souls saved? Than most would have to count themselves void!

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I dont know where your going with this Preach but I would not be one to go banging on doors to spread the word & also Im not a great supporter of people going to foreign countries because I believe we have a mission field right here in our own back yards.Rather I would want to speak to someone already burdened by a life of sin who the HS is working on to help the person to Christ. I think, for me anyway, its more a question of priorities or maybe its spiritual triage.

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe you've pointed me in a good direction. So how about if we say growth as a believer is a purpose of the church, rather than specifically relationships? Growth includes how we treat others, but not that only. The verses after Eph. 4:11-12 (which tell how the leaders prepare believers to serve God) talk about growth in this way, specifically vv. 13-16. The goal in those verses is Christlikeness, achieved by being trained in ministry.

If our goal is Christlikeness, relationships naturally fall into place. How can any believer not get along with someone who is doing their best to be like Christ in every way? Look at v. 15: "But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ." Truth and love are all part of growth (and relationships), ending in Christlikeness.

Consider what being like Christ means from His ministry: total obedience to the Father and His will (even to the death of the cross), serving others (washing dirty feet), living and and even dying for the salvation of others.

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then I'll keep trying. :type:

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Today I had the first man to man Bible study with Hashiba Naoki. He is out of a job, divorced, has truly lost his way in life. He knew the story of Eden, had heard of the Tower of Babel, but had no clue as to why Christ died on the cross and rose again. I finished teaching him the Word after 45 minutes, but he had so many questions that we talked for another half hour, until my wife and I had to get ready to go visit Habazaki San, one of Christ's precious believers who is in a home for dementia patients.

Now, with your view, why should anyone come to Japan? It's not like God would want to elect Japanese to salvation after all. I mean, why should I give the Gospel to people like Habazaki and Hashiba? And why was Miss Shimobo saved this year and then baptized last month? God doesn't care about the Japanese, right, only Americans, amen???

I consider it an eternal privilege to be called by Christ to give the Gospel to someone like Hashiba, Habazaki or Shimobo, who would never have learned about Jesus Christ otherwise. "20 Yea, so have I strived to preach the gospel, not where Christ was named, lest I should build upon another man's foundation: 21 But as it is written, To whom he was not spoken of, they shall see: and they that have not heard shall understand" (Rom. 15:20-21).

11. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I'm not certain where you came up with door-banging off of anything I've said, but perhaps the mere thought of sharing the Gospel is somewhat fearful for you? Can you tell me where you got door-banging out of my Scriptural response?

So you're not a supporter of those who go abroad? Certainly that is contrary to the attitude of the Apostles in Acts towards one another. Are you aware they were "missionaries?" I wonder how your mindset would have worked then? Perhaps they would have rebuked you as a hindrance and as obstinate to the Spirits leadership envisioning and emboldening these men to go abroad? By the way, He's doing the same things to this day.

Your demeanor discounts a lot of people that are doing great things for the kingdom of God. Not certain where you're getting your perspective and attitude on this, but I know it's not from the Scriptures, sounds more akin to indoctrination to me.

I can believe your sharing with someone burdened by their own sin, but sometimes and often God uses us, through stating His Gospel, and then He begins that work in their hearts to burden them of their need to be saved. Looks like you would like to be there to reap when it's easy, but you stray away from preaching the Gospel otherwise? I know some people are apprehensive to speak to others, but I don't think we're only to speak if we see signs of one burdened only.

- Peace

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well open your eyes & look around.....is everyone in you sights Christian? If not then both you & I have some work to do right here. I dont extend my reach beyond my own scope.

13. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

All true, but are those the exceptions and not the norm?

As for using some Scriptures not commonly applied to the church, are not all Scriptures applied toward the church, or does your dichotomy between the local congregation and the kingdom of God in the universal church halt you from seeing it that way?

Also, note that relationships are not "all about" church. They are integral to church, but there are other purposes, which I covered in my earlier post.

Commonly seen as: Missions, evangelism, ministry, fellowship, discipleship, and prayer (though most leave prayer off the list for some reason) -- and all of the above for the glory of God.

I am starting to see the church in a different light, however, seeing as how "the church" is not a "thing" but rather people in relationships, and thus we have "identities" rather than "purposes" as we exist in Christ

Those identities are: family, learner, leader, missionary, servant, and worshiper. The identities commingle, in that a learner is also be a leader, a missionary is also a worshiper, all are family, etc., all members of the church are all identities. One primary identity may exemplify a particular task in the operation of the church, but considering that ministry in and to the church is not our only gospel identity, we are also fully engaged in our families at home, and with the world around us. That takes the onus off of "doing" and places it where the Scripture does -- "being" -- as an active tense verb, not an object that can be chosen or not.

Much of church life has become myopic in the past 100 years, and that is an adoption to the ways of the world. We are short-sighted, tend to focus with a "microscope" on every jot and tittle of Scripture, while at the same time utterly failing at the "telescope" view of the big picture of God -- the reason that we exist, and our position and purpose before Him.

Unless, or until, the church recovers this big picture, it will continue to decline, for the church is not a "noun." It is intended by God to be an active "verb" with virtually every descriptive word or adjective pertaining to the church in Scripture demonstrating just that. "And the gates of hell shall not prevail against it..." Gates are anchored in bedrock, which presumes that it is the church of the Lord Jesus Christ that is moving. Instead, we have, in our myopic view, adopted a stance whereby WE are the ones anchored in bedrock; and this is true to the extent that we are anchored on "THE Rock, that is the Chief Cornerstone that the builders rejected," Jesus Christ, but He too is actively "doing" the work of His Father.

I expect that you will reject most all of what i just wrote, and that is okay with me, but I believe that i will continue to see a church that adopts this view grow to the glory of God and I also expect that I will see churches that continue worrying about traditional "religious" expressions of church to fall by the wayside in the days ahead. The problems already exist and are rampant in the greater church world.

14. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Millions upon millions of people are eternally grateful that some have...

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And how bout the millions that go lost cause nobody pays attention? They make assumptions that Outer Jibib is in need while neglecting the guy right next to them.

16. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    EW&F,
    I think the point about international missions is that in the US, we have an amazing number of places where an unsaved person can hear about Jesus: radio, churches and individual believers. Even as few and far between as churches in NJ are, imagine how few ops the billion plus people in China have. What about the 1.5 billion locked into Islam?

I am glad you're concerned about the people around you. But God has a world wide vision for people of every nation, kindred, tribe and language who don't have the opportunities that we have had to hear about Jesus.

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When you going to Afghanistan:laugh: Tom?

18. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not Afghanistan, but going Gent, Belgium again in the fall. Gent has 300,000 people but less than 1/2% even nominal believers.

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I dont say this to be snide, but you could have saved both time & money & gone to New Jersey.

20. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member