1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is "Death"??

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Derf B, Jun 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timtofly

timtofly Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, Job does not say that. Sons of God are humans, the stars are the angels. Unless you quote a verse that says otherwise.

If it was not Samuel why did he say Saul would die? It was not the witch interpreting. Saul was having a conversation directly with Samuel.

She was looking into Abraham's bosom. They were all gods walking around. Some may have appeared to be walking toward her.

2. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your view renders the words "Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses . . ." void of any truth.

3. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hardly. Moses told them to love their neighbor as themselves, among other things. The prophets definitely said “Their worm does not die and their fire is not quenched.” Jesus was clear that they had both Moses and the prophets, but He didn’t say one was as good as both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    She said she saw them or him come up out of the earth. It doesn’t say she saw into the earth.

I didn’t say it wasn’t Samuel. I think the old “man” she saw coming up in vs 14 was a different thing/being from the “gods” she saw ascending in vs 13. I could well be wrong, and this one passage would be the death knell for my argument.

5. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hebrews 1:7 (KJV) And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire.
    Psalm 104:4 (KJV)
    4 Who maketh his angels spirits; his ministers a flaming fire:

The word in both the Greek New Testament and the Septuagint is “aggelos”, and the word in Hebrew is Elohim. It doesn’t have the “son of” part.

6. timtofly

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, the original point was where saints went in the OT. I say Abraham's bosom under the earth. That humans are the sons of God is a different point. If Adam was created in God's image that would indicate a son relationship in a spiritual sense, like a human son is in the image of a human father. That Jesus who was God came to earth as a human for humanity, calling us children, then sons of God seems like humanity.

Now if the witch was bringing some one "up" from the dead, and looking down claimed to see gods, then she saw those walking around in Abraham's bosom, on the fact that Samuel would be expected to be there and not in the place of torment.

7. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    She only saw something “ascending out of the earth”. She never said she saw something “under the earth”.

She never said anything about “Abraham’s bosom”, either.

Be careful not to put words into the text.

8. timtofly

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not, that is what Jesus called it. It has been the name used for at least that long. Unless you can prove there were multiple locations, with multiple names.

Definitely the witch would not call it that. There would be pagan names for the place of the dead.

9. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    She did not say anything about what was under the earth, only what came up out of the earth. As such, she wasn’t talking about what was under the earth, no matter what anyone calls it! Only what came up.

Jesus did not actually name a place where Lazarus was. He only described his position with respect to Abraham—right there with him, probably enjoying a feast with him, reclining “in his bosom”, like John was at the last supper with Jesus.
    John 13:23 (KJV)
    Now there was leaning on Jesus' bosom one of his disciples, whom Jesus loved.

This would accentuate the contrast between Lazarus’ previous life—where he couldn’t even get crumbs from the rich man’s table. Now he was in the place of honor, right next to Abraham.

You can see it wasn’t just a location, but a condition being described, because the second mention is only of “his bosom”.

One more reference: John says Jesus is in the bosom of the Father: John 1:18 (KJV)
    No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared [him]. It’s a condition of being honored, by being right next to the person.

10. timtofly

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what would you call this place where Abraham, Samuel, and Lazarus were physically dead, walking around and in each other's company?

11. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You conflate Hades with the lake of fire. And you deny the fire of Luke 16:19-31 to be referred to by Moses Deuteronomy 32:22. You can believe as you want, we do not agree.

12. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And when did you stop beating your wife?

13. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    John tells us that in the last judgment, Hades will be forever conflated with the lake of fire. I consider it possible, though not a necessity, that Jesus was giving a story about what happens after the judgment in the story of Lazarus and the Rich Man.

But whether I'm right about that or not, the passage in Deut is talking specifically about a judgment that was to occur on the offspring of Jacob that affected their land. As such, it seems unwise to try to make it talk only about the netherworld. And once you include the surface of the earth, then it makes no sense to say the Deut passage is primarily about Hades/Sheol.

14. timtofly

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is interesting at what point humans just stop caring.

15. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    About wife beating?

I was making a point. Did you understand my point?

16. timtofly

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would I want to even think about harming another person? That you do not seem to care, by thinking I would even think about what you asked.

You could have just said, "I do not have a name." Or simply dropped the subject. Yes, your choice of answer seems to indicate you just do not care. Hitting my wife has never entered my mind. You just put the thought there, whether intentional or not.

17. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It’s a trick question. In a courtroom a prosecutor asks a witness whether he has stopped beating his wife. If he answers “yes”, then he is admitting he previously beat his wife. If he answers “no”, then he is admitting he is still beating his wife. Either answer “proves” his guilt. But the question assumes the guilt in the first place. It is called “begging the question”.

That’s what you did when you asked, “So what would you call this place where Abraham, Samuel, and Lazarus were physically dead, walking around and in each other's company?” You “beg the question”, aka assume, that there is such a place.

18. timtofly

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess that now I can only assume you do not want to answer the question.

19. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your trick question?

20. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’ll give you the answer I’ve been trying to give you this whole thread. I don’t know that there is such a place. The Samuel story does not require it. Jesus’ story of the rich man and Lazarus might, but I’m not completely convinced it does. If the Lazarus story is the only place where it talks like that, and Jesus was fond of speaking in parables (Matthew 13:34 (KJV)
    All these things spake Jesus unto the multitude in parables; and without a parable spake he not unto them:), it is possible that the scene He spoke of wasn’t a literal event, or an actual description of Hades.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.