1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is Dispensationalism?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by John of Japan, Jan 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps Ephesians 1 doesn’t present as you desire

Ephesians 1:
    7In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace 8which He lavished on us. In all wisdom and insight 9He made known to us the mystery of His will, according to His kind intention which He purposed in Him 10with a view to an administration suitable to the fullness of the times, that is, the summing up of all things in Christ, things in the heavens and things on the earth. In Him 11also we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to His purpose who works all things after the counsel of His will, 12to the end that we who were the first to hope in Christ would be to the praise of His glory. 13In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation—having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise, 14who is given as a pledge of our inheritance, with a view to the redemption of God’s own possession, to the praise of His glory.
    See how the emphasis is upon the administration and that administration was suitable to (fit the circumstances of) the times (age)?

The basic thread of this passage is both the presentation of the gospel and the hope in the promise. That which is not time related but that commission, that stewardship, in which believers are to present.

2. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not a criticism of Dispensationalism directly, but that is exactly what lead me to abandon Dispensationalism for Covenant Theology: good biblical philosophy of history as well as a [good] system of theology.

I am following your thread and promise not to derail it, but to comment when relevant.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am going to caution you about making sweeping generalizations. You made the following comment earlier in this thread:

Covenant Theology has experienced some different iterations as well; most notably the rise of something called 1689 Federalism, a form of Covenant Theology that is distinctly Baptist. The reason I mention this is that there is a well-informed number of Baptists who do understand Dispensationalism because many of them came out of it.

How do Covenant Theologians view dispensations? Strictly speaking, they use that term obliquely and not in the same manner that they use the word "covenant". How do Covenant Theologians define covenant? One definition is that a covenant is a commitment made by God that includes divine stipulations or sanctions. I am going to refrain from commenting any further on Covenant Theology so as not to derail your thread. I will only offer comments as redirects of things you may say.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I write "dispy" not as a term of abuse, but because i am not a good typist these days and my fingers don't always hit the correct keys and it is much easier to write dispy that dispensationalist. My arthritis you know, But it seems that most writers who used the word 'dispensation' in the past before the current teaching took hold, referred to the Odl Testament dispensation, and the New Testament dispensation, and most were not futurists.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John, let us be honest here. Without its premillennial eschatology, Dispensationalism crumbles. Dispensationalism is dependent on its premillennial eschatology.

Actually, some of us really do disagree with "dispensations per se". And yes, premillennialism is not exclusive to Dispensationalism but historic premillennialism (Chiliasm) is much different than its dispensational counterpart.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes but the futurists have taken over premilennialism as if it were their own.

• Like Like x 1
  7. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He is known as the father of dispensationalism. Not correct, Edward Irving was

8. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would outlining the Bible into dispensations “crumble” without premillennialism?

The two are not strictly reliant upon each other are they?

9. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From theopedia:
    Dispensationalism is a theological system that teaches biblical history is best understood in light of a number of successive administrations of God's dealings with mankind, which it calls "dispensations." It maintains fundamental distinctions between God's plans for national Israel and for the New Testament Church, and emphasizes prophecy of the end-times and a pre-tribulation rapture of the church prior to Christ's Second Coming. Its beginnings are usually associated with the Plymouth Brethren movement in the UK and the teachings of John Nelson Darby.

10. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was not thinking so much about ad hominem argument re Scofield and Dispensationalism by its opponents -- though that certainly exists. I was thinking more about Dispensationalists distancing themselves from Scofield.

11. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because Dispensationalism as a theology depends on its eschatology. The system is dependent on its parts. Without a conclusion (eschatology) you are left with a method of understanding God's dealing with His creation that never has an ending (or a beginning, depending on how you look at it).

• Like Like x 2
  12. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey if the amill and post mill folks weren’t using it, then why not?

:)

13. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But that system can also be used in nearly any eschatology scheme can’t it?

14. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Depending on what brand of Dispensationalism you subscribe to you are going to have some real problems reconciling an eschatological view such as postmillennialism. Postmils see the gospel eventually winning out before the second coming. Dispensationalism results in human failure every step of the way. That is not conducive to a postmil view of eschatology. Oh, I am not postmil, I am just using it as an example. Dispensationalism's dispensations revolve around a separation of Israel and the Church. That view certainly is not compatible with Covenant Theology which teaches there are one called-out people of God throughout history. I think the argument is mostly moot because there is no competing system to Dispensationalism that uses dispensations. Of course, I could be wrong. This is just my studied take on the issue.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have actually been reading Ladd's take on Israel and the Church. It is very informative to me.

Let me get this straight, John you believe Israel and the church are two separate groups? Where Jesus is going to fulfill the promises to them literally?

And TCass? What do you believe on that subject? I agree a lot with Ladd, are you not the same position as him?

16. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you reading Ladd's "The Blessed Hope"?

17. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Presence of the Future: The Eschatology of Biblical Realism.

I am A-Mill in my thinking So I disagree with some of it, but still it makes very valid points. Something I can't grasp in Dispensational writings.

18. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I was a Dispensationalist I viewed everything through that lens. After I left Dispensationalism I guess it was natural for me to see all its flaws (as I perceived them). It is sort of like an ex-smoker. Some of them become anti-smoking zealots. I do not want to say I am an anti-Dispensationalism zealot, but I do see what I perceive to be its inconsistencies and blind spots.

• Like Like x 2
  19. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no doubt that the typical Darby type presentation can and does get over exercised and driven into error.

However, using dispensation to show human failure in spite of the administration/distribution/stewardship of God’s communication can be useful no matter the eschatology view.

Certainly, it fits the premillennial view.

But, I have also seen “Darby charts” that included covenant divisions, too.

Does not covenant thinking also exclude Israel, replacing it with the church, just as the Darby folks do?

20. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not in the way Dispensationalism does. Some forms of Dispensationalism still have believing Jews and Christians separated in the eternal state. Covenant Theology places its focus on God's revealed covenants. Some of these covenants are plainly visible in scripture (Abrahamic, Sinaitic, Davidic, New Covenant), while others, like the Covenant of Works, are strongly inferred in scripture. Covenant Theology existed before Dispensationalism, so a good question to ask is why come up with Dispensationalism if the two are the same thing? The answer really rests in a pre-wrath view of eschatology. Dispensationalism fits a pre-wrath view like a glove. Can a Covenant view work with a pre-wrath view? It can but you have to purchase the Ronco conversion kit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.