1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is Dispensationalism?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by John of Japan, Jan 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not certain the claim of existence “before” another scheme is a valid reason for rejection. Particularly when dispensation was taught and is still taught by Rabbi’s.

Here is a messianic Jewish site teaching: Dispensationalism - Congregation Shema Yisrael

This is a very important read from the messianic Jewish view. It gives both history and some great information concerning how the Jews consider the prophetic statements to this day.

Here is a statement from “Bible Hub” on the upbringing of Jewish children learning the Bible divisions according to the stewardship principles of dispensation, though admittedly they don’t use the term, but the division by “administration” of God’s Word is clearly evidenced.
    The Upbringing of Jewish Children

The covenant view is of itself a systematic division into dispensations, is it not?

Modern Darby scheme aside, dispensation thinking is merely a way of outlining used by Jews and Gentiles.

Covenant theology can actually be considered the younger family member. :)

2. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know that, but Edward Irving, writing in his Morning Watch magazine says he first preached dispensationalism on Christmas day 1825, and the same day the following year according to the teaching of Irving's prophets, the rapture was to be in 1833. The magazine is available online, fro google books I believe I looked through some editions to find what they taught and came across that I am sorry I did not make a note of which edition. Lady Powerscourt seemed to take the teaching from Irving to Darby.

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dispy theology is just another viewpoint of theology, just as Covenant theology is.

4. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The historicists were usually pre mil, but 3in later days, mostly amil The ECW were pre mil and were also historisists, they taught a continuing history from their time till the antichrist and the end.

Today historricists teach the same, Revelation is the history of THE CHURCH written in advance. If it were in the past (Pretereist) there is no point of it being in our bibles. If it is all in the future (Futurists) there is no point of it being in our bibles as it does not relate to the church.

But historicists teach that it is the history of the church written in advance, in the form of signs, or figures, with all its tribulations through the ages,

5. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So.....the hyper sticks with Scofield and those likeminded to him?
    The progressive.....in trying to correct.past errors over compensate?
    In what way do they drift?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are absolutely right; it is not.
    According to the Bible, there are two ages (or 'worlds.' Gk. aion): the present (evil) age, and the age to come (Matthew 12:32; Mark 10:30; Luke 20:34-35; Galatians 1:4; Ephesians 1:21; 2:7 etc.). With the coming of Christ into the world, the age to come has broken in upon the present age (cf. Hebrews 6:5) and is constantly expanding (Mark 4:26-32), but will not come fully unto our Lord returns.

Amil and Covenant Theology really need threads to themselves

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about those of us who are in the Covenant preMil camp?

8. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    John of Japan,
    Applying the Concept of a Dispensation Personally:

agreed...
    agreed
    agreed
    All bible believing Christians believe this as written;
    10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

phil2;
    12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

14 Do all things without murmurings and disputings:

15 That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;

16 Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain.

17 Yea, and if I be offered upon the sacrifice and service of your faith, I joy, and rejoice with you all.

This part of the teaching is common to all believers. If this was all there was there would be no disagreement. All believers should have this in common.

#68 Iconoclast, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  9. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the case y'all haven't caught his remarks, JoJ pretty much only visits BB during the week when he is in his campus office. He seems not to have internet access at his house. So, he probably won't see or react to your comments until Monday morning.

10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hello SR,

Do you know of this new form of dispensational thought? Who are some of the leading proponents of it?

11. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope.

12. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Poll For The Dispensationalists_Which Are You?

It's mind boggling to try to get a handle on all these schisms of dispyism.

13. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    For the purposes of this thread, I simply say no comment.

14. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No more then how folks who would exercise great wearing out of words about the validity and veracity of the first advent are splintered into multiple schemes by not continuing such validity and veracity to the statements of the second.

One is either premillennial or not. Either the Lord returns establishing a millennium or does not return to establish a millennium.

Of the premillennial you have a fairly basic scheme that aligns events up to that millennium, but does not discredit or diminish the millennium, and the events are rather consistently sequenced.

Of the not millennium, there are at least four major groupings with untold number of partial this or that.

This doesn’t include the larger grouping of those who might state, “I don’t think about it, because no one knows and it is all opinions.”

:)

15. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Premillennialism (note that I do not say dispensationalism) is definitely a bridge to the Gospel. If Christ is coming back at any time, then lost people need to be ready.

I fail to see how the amil, post mil or preterist views can bridge to the Gospel.

16. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While some Scriptures are very explicit & literal, such as Messiah being born into David's family at Bethlehem, others quoted in the Gospels are not -
    Where, e.g. do we find he shall be called a Nazarene where Messiah is to settle in Nazareth?

And who are the little ones prophesied in Zechariah 13 - Strike the Shepherd, And the sheep will be scattered; Then I will turn My hand against the little ones.

Zec. 9:9 was wonderfully fulfilled when Jesus rode into Jerusalem, but what about Zec. 9:10. Is literal fulfilment really about snatching isolated verses & postponing the context to another dispensation?

He does return - the question is whether he returns to establish a millennium, or to raise & judge the dead, & establish the NH&NE.
    2 peter 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up. 11 Therefore, since all these things will be dissolved, what manner of persons ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness, 12 looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be dissolved, being on fire, and the elements will melt with fervent heat? 13 Nevertheless we, according to His promise, look for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.

Peter clearly knows nothing about a millennium between the day of the Lord & and the NH&NE.

During the present amillennium, there is much agreement, even with premils. We're in the Gospel age, with the Gospel going into all nations & uniting all peoples including Israelites in Christ. The various amil schools don't affect the Gospel presentation.

Postmil could have an effect on seeking national, established churches.

But if by "a fairly basic scheme that aligns events up to that millennium" then there is a massive divide between modern premil & both historic premil & amil & postmil. The focus on current events particularly with the state of Israel has a MASSIVE effect on evangelism & Gospel unity, as well as the political situation.

Bible interpretation is seriously compromised by Christian Zionist premil, who see the OC prophecy yet to be fulfilled in a millennium with Christ in person sitting on David's throne in Jerusalem.

I hope that is the larger grouping - much healthier then disp premil - in effect they are amil - now is the time to preach Christ & get on with Christian living.. I fear though that the widespread broadcasting is by richer churches that spread the Zionist message along with the Gospel.

In the past, there was no cause for division - the various millennial views were accepted as "opinions" but now C-Zionism is seriously dangerous & divisive.

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't say that covenant theology has no philosophy of history. I can't accept it myself because of its allegorical interpretation, and the fact that I can't find its covenants stated anywhere in the Bible.

Anyway, thanks for following the thread.

18. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the present Gospel "dispensation of grace" the Gospel is going out regardless of millennial opinions.

What do you mean by "a bridge to the Gospel?"

19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely, Israel and the church are separate. I don't see how one can interpret the Bible literally and come out any other way, especially Romans 9-11. There is no way on God's good green earth to read that passage and interpret it literally and come out with the church replacing Israel. There remains a clear, prophetic future for earth. As Ryrie puts it, that is a sine qua non of dispensationalism.

20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the study of personal evangelism, a bridge is a statement or verbal image that allows one to naturally "bridge" to presenting the Gospel. For example, at Christmas we might say to someone in a casual conversation about Christmas shopping, "So, what do you think the real meaning of Christmas is?" We can then share why Christ came to earth according to the Bible.

I'm not sure where the term came from, but there is a famous book on missiology by Donald McGavern, The Bridges of God.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.