1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What is Faith, so often I hear it defined in gibberish.

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Charles Perkins, Nov 24, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Charles Perkins

Charles Perkins Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I've been doing an extensive study on the question of faith. We are told in Hebrews 11:6 that without faith it is impossible to please God (in other words do God's will). Yet, when I read articles and books on the topic it is often written in gibberish. I say gibberish when I read spiritual language which does everything but answer the question. I've read many accounts that seriously limit what God clearly tell us is faith. As Christians I feel it is extremely important to understand this gift that only God can give.

Heb 11:1 gives a biblical answer to the question laying a framework that can be expanded on for clarity.

Here is an outline on the topic as I've begun assembling what I've learned.

Faith as a foundation on which we stand
    Faith must be single and without wavering
    Faith as confidence ion God
    Faith as steadfastness of mind, courage and staying power
    Hope a necessary ingredient of faith
    Hope involves patiently waiting
    Hope leads to reward or resolution
    Hope bears fruit with patience
    Hope involves the unseen and unknown
    There is evidence in faith
    God's faithfulness revealed in the process
    God proves and tests our faith
    We are to prove all things
    Examine ourselves

Through my study I've restated Hebrews 11:1 as: Faith is this foundation on which we stand which through God's Holy Spirit gives us confidence, assurance, courage to remain steadfast, having boldness and steadiness of mind. It's in this confidence, this courage that we have assurance of what will come to pass (of course we must come to know God's will and walk in the Spirit). In following this hope which is of faith we build evidence, proof of God's acting in our lives, proof of the unseen activities God brings about to resolve his promises, deliver us, help us, comfort us and others. We see proof of answered prayers as we boldly go before God in his throne room. We have personal knowledge through the process that God is faithful, and come to know God as we see him acting in our lives and the lives of others.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Saving faith is a Grace gift from God that is an instrumentality that lets us access communion with God in and through his word by his Spirit.
    In scripture faith is always spoken of as by or through faith. It is never said to be because of faith that a person gets saved.
    It is by or through faith showing it as an instrumentality that's a God-given gift.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Charles Perkins

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree, that faith is a grace or gift that we can receive from God. The Bible makes this abundantly clear. This is a characteristic of faith rather than a definition.

I agree that we must have faith. It is listed as one of two commandments in 1 John 3:20-24. Also stating that we can have confidence toward God if our heart condemns us not. Asking we can know that we will receive, seeking we can know that we will find and knocking we can know that we will receive.

Not sure what you mean by "faith is always spoken of as by or through"

4. Charles Perkins

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Faith is also said to have measure. Christ was given faith without measure, but all others are given faith by measure.

The disciples asked Christ how they could increase their faith and he answered with the parable of an unprofitable servant. Just doing what is required is not enough if we are to be profitable servants. The Bible does in several other scriptures explain what it is to be profitable to God.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Men do not have saving faith in and of themselves until regeneration takes place.
    That is why in scripture the language used never says.....BECAUSE...of faith, as if men and woman have it already as a commodity within themselves.

When it speaks of by faith, or through faith,it demonstrates faith to be the instrument through which we attain all the promises of God and offered to all elect persons.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Charles Perkins

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree that faith is not something that can be worked up or can be developed from within ourselves the Bible makes that clear. As a Spirit led Christian we act by the faith God gives us, trusting in the promises God gives. We act through this same faith that God gives us.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    yes once given we exercise it in what Romans describes as the obedience of faith.
    Rom1:5
    Rom.16:19

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Charles Perkins

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    When we say something like obedience to faith what does that mean? Faith must be exercised, acted on else our faith is dead (James 2:14-20). In exercising faith we become profitable servants, bearing the fruits of faith.

1 Tim 4:8 tells us to exercise unto godliness. Faith and love are some of God's traits we should exercise.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been told the Greek word for faith (pistis?) is a verb.

peace to you

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Charles Perkins

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "pistis" Strongs number 4102 is actually a noun rather than a verb.

Do you know the point that some are making when they say it is a verb? I imagine they are trying to say something about what faith is. If you know please explain it, I would love to hear it.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Charles Perkins

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Pisteuo (Strong's 4100) is actually the verb form meaning to "to have faith." This word comes from pistis (4102). Often "pisteuo" is translated "to believe" but it means "to have faith."

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Grace of God: A Study of Romans 1:5-7

"For obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name" — Paul was called by God to proclaim the good news of Jesus Christ to all the nations of the world so that individuals might obey the gospel.
    This could be translated, "obedience which is a result of faith," or "faith which is obedience." Men are called upon to obey the gospel.

Faith obeys the command to believe. This is not just intellectual assent, but is also commitment to the person of Jesus Christ. Men are called to repent: "And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent" (Acts 17:30). They are called to believe: "And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved" (Acts 16:31). Men are to obey these commands. (Other passages dealing with the obedience of faith include: Rom. 10:14-16; 2 Thess. 1:8; Heb. 5:9).

The gospel is to be declared; it is not pleading with people to believe. Christians must declare this message faithfully to everyone, but they do not bear the responsibility of changing people's hearts or convincing people through their powers of persuasion. Only the Holy Spirit has the power to change hearts, and to bring men to repentance and faith.

The spreading of the gospel is to be "for his name." It is to be done for God's glory and not for our own.

Note that Romans both begins and ends with the phrase "obedience to the faith" (Rom. 1:5 and Rom. 16:26).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Charles Perkins

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thanks, I agree we are to believe or act on faith. It is commanded and necessary because without faith it impossible to please God.

In trying to understand God's word better. I like to clearly define terms that we as men use. Sometimes words or expressions take on meanings that not all participants in a conversation fully understand. I often hear what is said, but cannot be certain what is being said until it is fully explained. It is very easy to assume what is being said is what we have heard good or bad.

14. Barry Johnson

Barry Johnson Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1¶Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

2For by it the elders obtained a good report.

3¶Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

(Gen. 4:1–16; 5:18–24; 6:5—8:22 )
    4¶By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Barry Johnson

Barry Johnson Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rom 4
    4Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.

5¶But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Charles Perkins

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    These scriptures do make it clear that we are not justified by our own works. When you go on in the chapter

Rom 4:12 And the father of circumcision to them who are not of the circumcision only, but who also walk in the the steps of that faith of our father Abraham, which he had being yet uncircumcised.

17 (As it is written, I made thee a father of many nations,) before him whom he believed, even God, who quickeneth the dead, and calleth those things which be not as though they were.
    18 Who against hope believed in hope, that he might become the father of many nations, according to that which is spoken, So shall thy seed be.
    19 And being not weak in faith, he considered not his own body now dead, when he was about an hundred years old, neither yet the deadness of Sarah's womb:
    20 He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God;

We are not justified by our own works, but the Spirit leads us to act in faith, believing, trusting that God is more than able to perform what he promises that he will perform on that which he promises. It is a walk of life requiring action on our part. To walk is to be found doing. These are not our works, but the Spirit that leads as we become a new man in Christ.

Abraham was not weak in faith which also implies that he acted in faith more than a few times in his life. Faith must be exercised.

The act of believing is again not our own action, but we must act nevertheless in belief, trusting God, assured, confident in God's words as an act of faith.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Charles Perkins

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Heb 11:1 in the KJV translates hupostatsis as "substance"

5287 hupostasis literally means “a standing under,” “that which stands, or is set under, a foundation, beginning.” according to the New Strong's Expanded Exhaustive Concordance. In Thayer’s Greek English Lexicon, we see that this word means 2. that which has a foundation, is firm. In particular for this verse 2a.that which has actual existence ; a substance, real being

In other words faith has substance in the sense it is real and it exists, being a firm foundation on which we can stand. Which leads to confidence, assurance, courage and other aspects ascribed to faith in other verses.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But Charles...

How can anyone actually have something that not all men have ( 2 Thessalonians 3:2 ), and that is a gift ( Ephesians 2:8 ) authored and finished by Jesus Christ ( Hebrews 12:2 ) which is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen ( Hebrews 12:2 )?
    I mean, it just doesn't make sense ( to some ) that we as mere men can do something pleasing to God, when He clearly states that the believer's faith in God words and work is credited to them as righteousness ( Romans 4:1-9 ). ;)

Is it because the Gospel miraculously carries with it the ability to believe, as some have stated Romans 10:17 to mean, or is it because God graciously gives this ability to those who, because of His grace towards them, will someday believe?

I'll state it plainly so that you will understand my starting point:

When you study the Scriptures for yourself,
    Do you currently see our faith as believers in Jesus Christ as the foundation that leads to God granting His favor upon us as men,
    or do you see His deciding to grant His favor upon us, as the basis for our faith?:Cool

• Like Like x 2
  19. Charles Perkins

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The world doesn't know God nor indeed can they even though the evidence of God surrounds us every waking hour.
    As I'm sure you know 1 Cor 2:13-16, tells us that the natural man is unable to know spiritual things. Mankind in general has their own God and built their own body of knowledge which most often ignores God altogether. Faith is a gift of the Holy Spirit and so cannot be known by men that God has given his Spirit of Truth and Understanding.

As a gift God gives us faith by measure as he sees fit (Rom 12:3) and that not before he draws us to him. God tells us that none can come to him unless he draws us (John 6:44). :)

Thanks, I love to hear it stated plainly.;) So often these days we hear people dance all around a subject measuring every word as they speak.

As John 6:44 tells us God brings us to him first. How? Before God draws us, we are deaf and blind, but when God calls us we can begin to know him. So God must have given us at least a small measure of his Spirit so that we can hear and can believe to some degree. God is our foundation with Christ our cornerstone. We can stand on God with whatsoever measure of faith that he gives us. Paul tells though we should covet the best gifts (1 Cor 12:31) that is spiritual gifts. 1 Cor 13 is a continuation of that verse telling us that love is the greatest gift of his Spirit. Faith is another.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course I do.;)
    After all, we were all dead towards Him in trespasses and sins ( Ephesians 2:1-5 ) and walked according to the course of this world at one point.
    I don't like "bandying about" when I make a statement.
    Being mindful to do what I can to avoid the appearance of evil, and acknowledging the Lord's command to be at peace, as much as lies within me. with all men...
    I'm not going to try to offend anyone with my words.

But I'm also not going to mince them.

As for your post above, amen brother.
    I'm in agreement with you.:)

• Like Like x 2