1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is hell?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Wish I had time to read that one!

I notice that Clark Pinnock is one of the contributors. Pinnock went from denying hell to open theism and then started exploring the idea that maybe God does have a body.

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]"If he is with us in the world, if we are to take biblical metaphors seriously, is God in some way embodied? Critics will be quick to say that, although there are expressions of this idea in the Bible, they are not to be taken literally. But I do not believe that the idea is as foreign to the Bible's view of God as we have assumed" (Pinnock, Most Moved Mover, 33).[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]" The only persons we encounter are embodied persons and, if God is not embodied, it may prove difficult to understand how God is a person....Perhaps God uses the created order as a kind of body and exercises top-down causation upon it" (Pinnock, MMM, 34-35).[/FONT]

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mat 25:46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

"punishment" transliterated would be "affliction". Jesus describes it as a place of weeping and gnashing of teeth. Annihilation is not even a reasonable consideration.