1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Is Mormonism? A Baptist Answer

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by moondg, Oct 25, 2007.

1. moondg

moondg Member
    Site Supporter

Richard Land, the head of the gigantic (16.3 million-member) Southern Baptist Convention's Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission and its most influential political operative, has dived headlong into what has become a favorite Baptist parlor game: What exactly is a Mormon? It's a question that has special significance right now, since it relates to how religious conservatives regard the Mormon candidate Mitt Romney.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/200710...ptistanswer;_ylt=Atyt9v.eZopbh4AHC.D5myms0NUE

The answer is it is a cult. I guess I won the game.

2. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it is high time we shed ourselves of religious litmus tests for candidates for public office. We need to be looking at the issues that affect all Americans: the war, the economy, education, health care, etc. It is more important to find the most competent person to be president, governor, senator, or dog catcher, the one who can do the job, not the one who scores the highest on some slanted list of religious issues.

Tim Reynolds

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The government is not the church.

4. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

No, not today, today it doesn't closely resemble anything to what it was intended to resemble by those who founded this once Christian Nation. Now it's just considered a "Christian Nation", if that.

The held to an idea that this nation would never lose sight of God, they never saw this coming.

5. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Who would have thought 100 years ago we would be trying to find a candidate to vote for that doesn't support killing babies or men marrying men

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

Issuses? yes, and I'd like them to have a more chirsitan view of the issuses, like their view of abortion, gay marriage and unions, freedom of religion. These issues effect of of america and some the unborn americans.

7. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Never has been a "Christian Nation". A nation with a majority of Christians, yes. Nations cannot have a religion. People do.

8. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Many nations, if not most have a 'national' religion. Unless I'm mistaken.

9. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Barb talked to a couple youngsters on bikes, and they agreed with everything she told them, with only the caveat that they'd like to return tomorrow if she'd listen to their side. She said she'd gladly do so, but they didn't return.

This is the first time Mormon's have used this tactic, as they usually refute our testimonies.