1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is "sin"

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JonC, Jan 14, 2020.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've been thinking about this topic for awhile.

On another thread a member posted:

Now this post was just a readily avaliable example. But I think this is how we often look at sin (as wronging us, as in opposition to us). I also think this may be wrong.

How do you define sin?

2. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jon, it depends on the context. Theologically sin is defined as "to act contrary to the will and law of God—‘to sin, to engage in wrongdoing, sin."1 and "Thoughts, words, or deeds that constitute a deliberated violation God's will and law and are thus sinful."2 Ultimately, all sin is against God, because we are violating the command to "be Holy as I am holy". But sin can also be specific against an individual (Matthew 18:15). If a sin is committed against God, but not another person, the person who sinned needs to confess that sin to God alone. If a sin is committed against another person, it has to be confessed to that person as well as God. As in all cases of sin, genuine repentance, and where possible, restitution by the person who committed the sin should be present.

1. Louw-Nida
    2. McKim

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was also thinking about David (when he sinned against God) as well as us forgiving those who transgress us.

Do you believe we are to hold sins against our enemies until they confess to us, then?

What (using the example from the thread quoted) if the one who "sinned" against us did not really sin but we were in error? We would be falsely holding a wrong (unknowingly sinning by falsely accusing another).

I think forgiveness the best course of action.

Part if the reason is Jesus forgave tjise who crucified Him (without them repenting and confessing).

But that is just my reasoning. I hold no one but myself to that standard.

4. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When our Lord said, "Father, forgive them for they do not know what they are doing", He was speaking out of His deep love for the Jews. Remember Jesus' great lament for the city of Jerusalem? " “Jerusalem, Jerusalem, who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, the way a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were unwilling." (Matthew 23:37). However, if those he lamented over did not repent of their sins, they were not judicially forgiven.

While forgiving without being asked for forgiveness by an offending party is a good thing, for forgiveness to go full circle it should be accompanied by the offending party confessing and asking for forgiveness. That is a biblical mandate as well (Matthew 5:23-24).

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand. But I also think of the lost. I do not think we are to be unforgiven until the person confesses and repents towards us.

That said, I am not imposing this on anyone. I freely forgive because I believe this is what is spoken of (and commanded) in not keeping a record of wrongs. So for me it is also a matter of conscience (it would be a sin for me to hold off forgiveness).

Plus it is easier. I don't have to keep up with who wronged me and how. :)

6. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is always difficult to talk about a situation you have been personally involved with. When you look at the situation forensically, you may be able to see how it started and how both parties may have jumped to conclusions. You are also able to see where you should have taken a left instead of taking a right. But putting the horse back in the barn is easier said than done.

I have been in a similar situation. I was completely convinced I had not sinned against a brother and that the brother had overreacted to an innocent comment. However, the brother was completely convinced I had sinned against him. My choices were to lie by confessing the sin that did not occur and asking forgiveness; express my sorrow over the situation, yet hold to my integrity by not asking forgiveness; involve a trusted mediator. Both of us had a mutual friend who was willing to be that trusted mediator. The friend heard both sides. He empathized with both of us. Because there was no way to verify the facts (there were no witnesses), he asked if we would both be willing to display Christian charity by allowing ourselves to be wronged (if indeed, we were wronged). Both of us accepted that. Unfortunately, while that brother and I never became enemies, our once close friendship cooled.

What if there is no trusted mediator and you and the other brother are completely convinced you are right? In a situation, like you are describing, the best thing you can do is consider the other brother's view, assure him that you acted in the integrity of your heart, and let it be. If that means you can no longer have a dialogue with that brother, so be it. All of us have to answer to God. We have to look at the integrity of our own hearts. If we have sinned against our brother, we should confess it and ask for forgiveness. If we have not sinned we should do all we can to seek peace with our brother. If our best is not enough, then it must be left with God.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. For me this translates to acknowledge, forgive, and carry on.

A couple of weeks ago I made an appointment to get my hair cut. I was in Augusta and headed north. I got to the exit and could not for the life of me remember why I took the exit so I went back home. Once home I remembered where I was headed. :(

See what I mean about it is easier for me just to forgive people? My head is too full of smart to hold anything else, to include a report of wrongs. :D

8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anything against the will of God as expressed in the Bible!

• Like Like x 1
  9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is what I believe is truly sin. Scripture speaks of men transgressing against other men, but I do not know that these are always sins (or, to be honest, always wrong).

Sin, IMHO, is ALWAYS against God (it is an evil).