1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What is the Biblical Definition of Faith?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by The Biblicist, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    faith is like a child being told that something is true by their father, and just believes that is correct!

2. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother Hank, spiritual death is more than just merely being separated from God. God is the only Source of life for the man's inner being. He, the inner man, via sin, has been severed from God, thereby causing spiritual death, spiritual separation from God. I would die physically if separated from air. So, to be spiritually dead, is more than saying being separated from God. We were spiritually dead because of spiritual separation from God.

God, in the act of regeneration, quickens man's inner being, thereby enabling him/her to come to Him. In Ezekiel we can see ppl so far removed from life, they are just a pile of very dry bones. God then commands Ezekiel to prophesy and a great earthquake causes bone to come to his bone, then tendons, ligaments and finally flesh comes upon their bodies. One problem...they're still dead. Exekiel then prophecies as God commands him and the wind...symbolic of the Spirit, and they stand upon their feet. Now, what lot or say in this matter did they have? What will did they exercise? What choice could they have made, being a pile of dried up bones. Yes, this is symbolic of the whole house of Israel, but it also paints the portrait of how God quickens those who were dead in transgressions and sins. They then act accordingly and answer the proclamation of the gospel.

The widow's son that Jesus brought to life in Luke 7, what will did he exercise? What choice did he make when Jesus brought him back to life? Same questions with Lazarus in John 11, Eutychus in Acts 19, the 12 y/o in Mark 5, &c?

3. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That is my point. What he is told by the father is the "substance" of faith and inseparable from it. Justifying faith has for its ONLY substance the Father's provision of righteousness and remission of sins in Christ as promised in the gospel. Without that substance there is no justifying faith as that substance is the sole "hope" of justifying faith.

• Like Like x 1
  4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have read selected sermons of his vast amount.
    His quotes may be used by some including myself but in my estimation he is not widely popular today.

HankD

5. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Twitter may not be the best representative of his popularity or castigation, but he is used there quite a bit.

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, there are many"archetype" personages in the scripture to draw from both living and dead.

Some of the "physically living" exercised their will and made a choice for, some against the LORD.

Cain - He had a dialogue with God, was given a choice and even prayed for relief of his subsequent punishment which God answered. But he departed from the LORD anyway.

Joshua 24:15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

So, some in the scripture had no choice being physically dead while some of the physically living did.

So while your illustrations may have some value, Aminians would disagree that they are archetypical of the dead in trespasses in sins e.g. Cain who prayed to God and He answered him but Cain chose to depart on the one side and Joshua on the other to serve Him.

This debate will not end...

HankD

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have nothing against Spurgeon.

HankD

• Like Like x 1
  8. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True enough, but anyway, here are extracts from two of Spurgeon's sermons on John 6:37b.

'Sinners, let me address you with the words of life; Jesus wants nothing from you, nothing whatever, nothing done, nothing felt; He gives both work and feeling. Ragged, penniless, just as you are, lost forsaken, desolate, with no good feelings and no good hopes, still Jesus comes to you, and in these words of pity He addresses you, "Him that cometh unto Me I will in no wise cast out."'

'"Him that cometh to Me;".....the man may have been guilty of an atrocious sin, too black to mention; but if he comes to Christ he shall not be cast out. He may have made himself as black as night- as black as hell......I cannot tell what kind of persons may have come into this hall tonight; but if burglars, murderers and dynamite-men
    [suicide bombers? M.M.] were here, I would still bid them come to Christ, for He will not cast them out. No limit is set to the extent of sin: any "him" in all the world- any devilish, blaspheming "him" that comes to Christ shall be welcomed. I use strong words that I may open the gates of mercy. Any "him" that comes to Christ, though he come from slum or taproom, betting-ring or gambling-hell, prison or brothel- Jesus will in no wise cast out.'

I certainly do not have Spurgeon's gift of oratory, but that is the way I try to preach. Do not confuse Calvin with his evil younger brother, Hypercalvin. Bunyan, Whitefield, Newton- most of the great preachers were Calvinists- they all preached the free Gospel of Grace and called sinners to come to Christ.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are examples of a much deeper working of God as He works grace into the unregrnerate's heart.

Physically living yet spiritually dead. And they freely choose that which is most pleasing to themselves.

God told him if he did well...but did he? His wicked heart precluded him from choosing to do good. And God also conversed with Satan. God can speak with ppl and not desire to save them.

Joshua was speaking with a grumbling ppl. Look at what he said in the bolded portion. If they thought it was evil to serve the LORD, they would never choose Him. Ppl focus on 'choose you this day' at a detriment to what Joshua was truly conveying.

Huh? Please clarify. Thanks in advance.

Yet Cain's wicked heart was exposed in what he chose. It was first exposed when he lured Abel into the field and murdered him, and further exposed by God by his choosing to not obey.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Spurgeon always though had the intention of preaching hell and salvation to have those lost to get saved by the grace of God, as he saw his task to announce the Gospel message, and the Holy Spirit was the one to actually save those destined to get saved by it!

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is why so many lost are deluded into thinking now really saved, as they are using their definition of faith being different from that used for it in the Bile.

They have redefined sin, salvation, Gospel, so have trusted in something not really able to save!

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I really don't have the heart or the inclination to enter the C vs A debate.

My desire is for those who are gifted in evangelism - put down the systematic theologies and pick up the Bible ,
    and preach the gospel.

OK dissecting/vivisecting the Bible on the BB - OK without the demands of "Say my shibboleth OR DIE!"
    From the pulpit (inside or outside) Belief in the death burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of sins and the gift
    of eternal life.

HankD

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Martin, Yes I am familiar with these sorts of works he has produced but
    He has nothing to say to those searching for Pokemon.

HankD

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Neither do I, but is still vital that we continue to teach/preach the real Gospel to lost persons!

• Agree Agree x 2