1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What is the Church

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, May 6, 2021.

1. Paul from Antioch

Paul from Antioch Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fine, but what about "A Newly-Born-Again person who has never even head the Gospel before he/she received Christ as her/his personal savior & came from a background where things such as eschatology (or any other Bible doctrine was NEVER taught, much less practiced? This was my own testimony for almost 20 years. In fact, even the reason I wanted to attend one of the series of messages wherein I DID trust Jesus Christ as my Personal Savior was NOT (to me anyway) an inherently "Spiritual" reason. Thank God that the Holy Spirit used what usually is NOT an invitation verse for salvation ( 2 Corinthians 6:17 ). That was my situation in April of 1966. Did I eventually learn about the doctrine(s) of Jesus's coming again to the earth? Yes, but I still was a Christian in the interim....wasn't I? (Just asking, I'm not going into such concepts of God's Foreknowledge on this particular thread since I don't think that this is the thread wherein that particular subject should be introduced.) Thank you for your forthcoming comments on the subject of THIS thread!!:):):):Thumbsup:Thumbsup:Thumbsup

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) where does the Bible prohibit us from calling a building a church.

2) where have I stated that the Bible says the building is a "church"

3) many words have multiple meanings - IMHO - many are trying to make a mountain out of a molehill

3. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By its teaching of what a church is. We need to be careful to distinguish between Biblical definitions and English definitions, which are not always the same. Our language and usage calls sprinkling baptism. Should we just accept that and move on as if it is?
    Brother, I do not recall saying that you did. If I did and you did not, then I will apologize.
    Perhaps the limits of a forum like this makes it seem so when many are not. Here is an example on my part. What I am suggesting is that we who are students and teachers of the word should be careful that our words line up with the Word. We do not have to call sprinkling baptism or a building a church (yet it is so built into our language, this is no simple matter). However, making our words line up with the Word does not mean we have to go out and challenge common usage in all our everyday conversations. If a person asks me where my church is, I understand what that person means, and so I am just going to say something like "We meet at XXXX County Road XXXX" without giving a dissertation about the meaning of the word church. That is a wholly different context from a discussion here on the Baptist Board, a place where most people come for the purpose of discussing the Bible. The only reason I would answer a person differently about "where my church is," is if the context of the question was already set in something about the meaning of the word church (as opposed to them just calling our building a church and wanting to know where it is located).

#63 rlvaughn, May 23, 2021
    Last edited: May 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salty said:
    2) where have I stated that the Bible says the building is a "church"

RIV - my question was not directed at any one person (including you) so no need to apologize - though I do appreciate your concern.

• Like Like x 1