1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is the difference

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Enoch, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Enoch

Enoch New Member

What's the difference in doctrine?
    Eastern Orthodox
    Roman Catholic
    Baptist

2. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Biggest differences;
    Baptism
    Scriptural cannon
    Communion
    Salvation
    Eschatology

There may be more. These are just off the top of my head.
    In His service;
    Jim

3. Enoch

Enoch New Member

Thank you Jim!
    The most important one you wrote to me is Salvation. What is the difference, I think I have a good graps on RC but not EO?

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look in Acts/Epistles to see how early churches were. Local governing, local pastor. No "church" government (no pope, no bishop), just believers meeting to observe the ordinances and keep the great commission.

From 150-1064 a "church" grew from this. It was catholic (small "c" = universal) but at the same time there were many little groups still maintaining a parallel existance, trying to keep New Testament at the center.

In 1064 the catholic church split over icons and statues (pix of saints, statues of Mary) into the western Roman Catholic and eastern Orthodox churches. Heavy organization, hierarchy, and lots of un-New Testament teaching and practice.

In 1517 reformers tried to "clean up" these false doctrines and practices. Churches that had been little secret groups now had freedom and sprang up by the thousands.

So western/eastern catholic = false doctrine, false practice

Little cell groups of believers = forerunners of Baptist churches today

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

The differences are too numerous to list.

I suggest two good books.

For Catholicism and a comparison to evangelical faith, see Roman Catholics and Evangelicals: Agrements and Differences by Norman Geisler and Ralph E. MacKenzie.

For Eastern Orthodoxy, see Eastern Orthodox Christianity: A Western Perspective by Daniel B. Clendenin.

I am familiar with and own the first book but am not personally familiar with the second one. However, I've been told it is good (Clendenin is an evangelical who was interested in Eastern Orthodoxy and lived in Russia).

6. Enoch

Enoch New Member

Thank you Dr. Bob and Marcia!
    Unfortunately I do not have the time to read a book on the subject but am looking for some clear distinctions.

Ok so EO believes salvation is through the "true Church" them of course, baptism, Christ? Is this correct or is there more? Sounds just like RC to me.

Anyone else have more information to add?

Would you be concerned with a Batist friend wanting to join the EO church?

7. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Latin Rite Church and Orthodoxy are very similar in terms of theology (though they sometimes, from an outsider's point of view seems to exaggerate the differences.) Among the differences are that Orthodox reject the doctrines of Purgatory and the Immaculate Conception and have a slightly different formulation of the Nicene Creed (although that formulation is considered valid by the Roman church). They also differ slightly over the books of the canon.

A larger difference is in ecclesiology; the Orthodox have a number of patriarchs (instead of a fully hierarchical order) and do not recognize the claims of primacy made for the pope.

8. semstudent

semstudent New Member

Both the RC and EO sprang from the same root of heresy especially in salvation. To make this clear for you both believe in a "works" salvation. I would advise my friend not to go or be a part of that church whatsoever.

9. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most Baptist churches are "sola scriptura" (Scripture alone) with every belief and practice coming from the Bible alone, which we recognize as our final authority on earth. The RCC is mixed through & through with the traditions of men, a thing for which Jesus upbraided a group of Pharisees, mixing in or replacing God's commands with the traditions of men.

God spoke directly to certain men, giving them His word to write down, and He now speaks to us through that written word. How authorative is it? When Satan tempted Jesus, He answered every temptation with, "It is WRITTEN..." for which even Satan had no defense.

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Yes. Partly because the EO church puts church tradition on a par with the Bible and there is a lot of acceptance of subjective mysticism. I also believe that the EO church uses icons. They actually believe these icons have some kind of real life in them, and you revere the dead saints by kissing their icons. The dead saints are a big deal.

I saw this being done in an EO church in the Balkans a few years ago.