1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is the linage of a Gentile?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Brother Bob, May 10, 2007.

1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

From what I have read, a gentle could be anyone who does not hold to the Jewish belief and practice, including Jews.

Anyone give a better answer than that?

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Nope.

(I'm following you around, Bob):laugh:

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...and I'm following you around, Amy. :D

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

[​IMG]

I'm feeling a little paranoid right now.
    :laugh:

5. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

All Gentle's descended from Ben...

[​IMG]

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Rufus, we finally agree on something!

That was funny!!!!:laugh: :wavey:

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

It seems the Jew and the Gentile came together and a Gentile received the promise made to Abraham when Ruth followed Naomi and Naomi's God became her God.

8. Allan

Allan Active Member

I'm not sure a natural born Jew (full blooded) can be a gentile. They can be a heathen, wicked, ungodly and such but "I" personally don't recall any scirpture equating a Jew as a gentile.

If you know of one brother Bob, I'd be interested in seeing it. I just can't think of one off the top of my head.

Gotta go.

9. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I don't know Greek, but Strong's Concordance assures me that the word traslated "gentiles" in some places, is translated "nation" in others. It is the word ethnos. In Luke 7.5, the account of the healing of the centurion's servant, the Jewish elders say to Jesus:

"for he loves our nation, and has built us a synagogue."

So there they seem to be using exactly the same word, ethnos, to describe themselves, Jews.

But I stress that I'm no Greek expert, so I may be wrong.

10. Allan

Allan Active Member

Yes, 'gentile' is actually 'a people' and thereby it's usage denotes its exact definition. It can be 'a people' as in a nation, but it is also a specific nation of people or peoples as in non-Jewish by birith and or belief and practice.

So in order to be more specific, I'll say I can think of no place in scripture were term 'gentile' is ever used of a Jew to show they are or have non-relational ties to God (whether by blood -the Jewish Nation- or obedience -those who were not Jewish but followed in belief and practice), as it is used regarding Pagans or non-Jews.

You are correct though David, and I needed to be more specific. Thank you.

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I can't give you a scripture Allan, I was quoting from somewhere I had read that a non-bellieving Jew was considered a Gentile.

12. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Allan I hope you didn't think I was criticising you - that was not my intention, I assure you. Thanks though.

13. Allan

Allan Active Member

No, brother. I really appreciated your attention to that detail and it needed to be addressed. The Bless you with peace and strength in Him.

14. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would think it applied in the context of a derogatory reference to one who deserts his faith, upbringing and traditions.

15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

It seems to me that if Ruth (a gentile who converted to Judism), gave birth to Obed, the father of Jesse who was the father of King David, that would make King David having some gentile blood line? If that is so, then the throne of King David must of had some gentile blood line?
    Does that make sense to anyone, or am I all messed up?

16. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It makes some sense to me, at least, if we consider that the Lord Jesus Christ has Gentile lineage, too.

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Jesus was of the Holy Ghost, so what linage He had to David would have had to be through Mary. Being that Mary had no brothers and married within the tribe, she was able to pass the lineage on.(Num 27:8)

#17 Brother Bob, May 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2007
  18. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Why not check out what Jewish rabbis have to say on this question, unless you are wanting a strictly Biblical answer? Chabad.org or the jewishvirtuallibrary.org may be informative.

From what I understand, the Jews consider themselves to be a community of people, a race, and a nation, and the children of the promises to Abraham. A Jew may be torah observant, or an atheist, but if born into Jacob's blood line, is considered still a Jew. The Jewish people tend to look at other nations in generalized terms related to their religion. Most see Gentiles as belonging to the Christian faith, and a country such as Briton/ UK or the USA is viewed as being 'Christian' in spite of the large mix which is neither Jewish nor Christian. From what I've read, the Jews would rather accept, another Jew as belonging to their community who is known to be an agnostic or an atheists: but a Jew who departs from Judiasm into Christianity is considered to have chosen idolatry, and is worse than a Jew with no belief in God. Nevertheless, he is considered 'redeemable' should he ever return to the Jewish beliefs and repents of his 'idolatry' (which they consider faith in Jesus to be) as he recants his identification with Christ.

Many of the scriptures which we consider as reliable Old Testament Scriptures, pointing in proof to Jesus as being the Messiah, are or have been changed by the text which they consider to be most reliable. If there is a reliable (Christian) scholar of Hebrew on the BB he could most probably enlighten us more. But generally the tribe and the inheritance is passed through the father's lineage. The children are considered to be of the Mother's faith or race: Therefore, Ruth was considered to be a Moabitist, but she converted and then married Boaz of the lineage of Judah, therefore legitimizing the nationality and religion of their children as being Jewish. Otherwise they would have been considered Gentiles in need of Jewish conversion. As in our faith, questions seem to be raised in theirs in which the answers are not easy to come by, if attainable at all. The Jewishness of children born to a Gentile mother of a Jewish father seems to be one such issue that is not satisfactorily resolved to the agreement of all Jews.:BangHead:

#18 windcatcher, May 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2007
  19. JerryL

JerryL New Member

For a Biblical answer to that, the Samaritans might be a place to look. As I understand it the people of Samaria in Jesus' day were a place that had a mixture of Jew/Gentile families.