1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Is the Meaning of Acts 11:21?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by TCGreek, Aug 20, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. I really didn't know where to put this thread. But since it involves a little language and translation, then here became the choice. Let me state the issue.

a. "Therefore repent and return, so that your sins may be wiped away, in order that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord;" (Acts 3:19, NASB, emphasis mine)

"And the hand of the Lord was with them, and a large number who believed turned to the Lord." (Acts 11:21, NASB, emphasis mine)

b. Both seem to be describing what takes place in conversion.

c. Acts 3:19 has "repent" while 11:21 has "who believed." I believe in each instance we are looking at a synecdoche, a part for the whole.

d. Both have "turn," which is from the same Greek word.

e. In Acts 3:19 "repent" and "return" are both aorist active imperatives, while in 11:21 we have an aorist active participle, "who believed" and an aorist indicative, "turned to."

2. Here's my question: What does it mean to believe and then turn to the Lord?

#1 TCGreek, Aug 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2007
  2. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Today, we have more than one Christian who has come to Christ in belief and repentance, but over time has grown more or less inactive in his/her zeal and service to the Lord and have grown complacent. This could be in part addressed to them.

Also, we have people who believe that Jesus exists, but haven't come to Him in submission and repentance, asking Him to forgive their sins & be Lord of their lives. This could be a message to them also.

We sometimes forget that the VERY SAME TYPES of people lived then as live now.

3. Salamander

Salamander New Member

See what reading the NASV will do to ya?

I'm glad my sins are blotted out, not "wiped" because everytime I wipe something there is still a residue that remains.:godisgood:

4. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    See what reading the NASV will do to ya?

Yes...give ya a better view of the Scriptures in English than reading just one 400-yr-old version will do.

5. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Nope the op proves you wrong there roby, you can't antiquate the truth, it's still alive no matter how hard you try to kill it.

6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. On closer examination, I think both refer to what takes place in conversion.

2. Acts 3:19 relates a command to Repent and Return/Turn to God.

3. Whereas Act 11:21 relates that people actually did Repent/Believe and Return/Turn to God.

4. Nothing is lost.