1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is the necessity of this rule?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Filmproducer, Oct 23, 2005.

1. bapmom

bapmom New Member

The only explanation Ive ever heard for it is as someone else said, in order to uphold the parent's standards for their children.

Of course, I don't get why the kids can't obey their parents without the rule....but some considered it necessary, I guess.

2. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    We can allow schools to have such rules. And we can also allow critics to call out their awful exegesis and irrational discrimination.

3. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

This does seem awfully old school. My mom still thinks interracial dating is wrong, but she didn't have any problem marrying an American Indian (my dad). So I can't help but notice the hypocrisy there. She also didn't mind that I married a Caucasian (she didn't mind me dating Indians either), but when I was friends with a boy of yet a different race, she was quick to tell me to be careful.

So now I'm wondering what these schools would allow with someone who is biracial. . . Would they have more or less dating choices?

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

How come that same line of thinking doesn't apply when it involves a company making a product we don't like? About once a week or so, there's a call on this board to boycott one thing or another. If I said "we should encourage a private company to produce whatever product they wish, even if we don't agree", I guarantee you, I will be called a liberal religionist within 5 posts.

In fact, not too long ago, there was a thread about the UC school system not accepting the courses of some ACSI acredited high school students because the UC system requires covering the topic of evolution in the science class. Yet those who said "the UC system has a right to determine whatever requirements for admission they wish" were branded as persecutors of the church.

In this case, shouldn't we be encouraging private Christian schools to do away with rules that are not in line with Christian thought? I don't think Jesus would have approved of such a rule, so for us to encourage the existence of such a rule borders on a hypocritical attitude.
    It is indeed hypocracy. But, as a parent, I can tell you that we parents instinctively try to protect our children. In that endeavor, we sometimes don't always think our instinctive reaction completely through. So while your mother is indeed shown hypocrisy, it's not unusual for these thought process to go through the mind of parents, like myself. That doesn't make it right, though. I'm not trying to defend your mother's actions, just attempting to shed some light on what goes on in the mind of a parent.

BTW, I'm biracial as well, though from outward appearance, I most often pass as white.

5. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Thanks Johnv -- I'm nearing middle age (or maybe I'm deep in it :D ), so I do understand the parent thing. AND I know am only looking in one direction here. I am sure there have been things I've said or done that my kids will at some future date point out as hypocrisy. It is the nature of humans -- to do one thing and expect another of those around them. ;)

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Absolutely, mcdirector. My hope is that I'll kick the bucket before my kids realize I don't have a red cape and superpowers.

7. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

I generally agree with your post except with the statement in bold. You will need to show me Scripture teaching that discrimination is not Biblical. We discriminate if we refuse admission to a Buddhist, Hindu or Muslim. It is simply discrimination on a different basis. According to modern political correctness, Paul made a racial slur when he wrote, “One of themselves, even a prophet of their own, said, The Cretians are alway liars, evil beasts, slow bellies. (Titus 1:12)” In the OT, Israel was very discriminatory toward strangers in their midst.

It tis passing strange that we are so hyped over supposed racial slurs toward a group when we ignore slurs, regardless of race, against individuals. It is the sin against the individual person that Scripture condemns. IMHO, we are more attuned to political correctness than Biblical teachings. Furthermore, we do violence to Scripture when we morph our interpretations to conform to the tenets of political correctness.

Please show me a clear-cut Scripture forbidding or condemning racial discrimination pe se.

8. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

A side question:

Should we permit discsimination? I find it a bit odd that some posters will berate another religion or country for a discriminatory practice of belief, yet will defend the same when the group in question is a Christian group. I find that very hypcritical, not to mention incinsistent.

10. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

I generally agree with your post except with the statement in bold. You will need to show me Scripture teaching that discrimination is not Biblical. We discriminate if we refuse admission to a Buddhist, Hindu or Muslim. It is simply discrimination on a different basis. According to modern political correctness, Paul made a racial slur when he wrote, “One of themselves, even a prophet of their own, said, The Cretians are alway liars, evil beasts, slow bellies. (Titus 1:12)” In the OT, Israel was very discriminatory toward strangers in their midst.

It tis passing strange that we are so hyped over supposed racial slurs toward a group when we ignore slurs, regardless of race, against individuals. It is the sin against the individual person that Scripture condemns. IMHO, we are more attuned to political correctness than Biblical teachings. Furthermore, we do violence to Scripture when we morph our interpretations to conform to the tenets of political correctness.

Please show me a clear-cut Scripture forbidding or condemning racial discrimination pe se.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I did not say discrimination is not biblical. Notice the word AND. What I meant, simply put, is that A.)it is racially discriminating, and B.)forbidding interracial marriage is not biblical.

11. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Considering God is not a "respecter of persons," I would say no. Discrimination is not right. We should still set ourselves apart as Christians, but I do not see how discrimination benefits anyone.

12. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

So now I'm wondering what these schools would allow with someone who is biracial. . . Would they have more or less dating choices?

The administrator of Fairhaven Bible College aid that students may date anyone who is a part of their race. I asked the same question being that my children are technically 1/2 black, but look white. My daughter has red hair and blue eyes and is whiter than a ghost. Although my son has brown hair and eyes he still does not technically "look" 1/2 black. In the height of summer he is lucky to have a tan. With that being said I wonder how "race" is determined at these schools. Does it apply to immediate family only? What if your grandmother was 1/2 white and 1/2 Asian, and your grandfather was 1/4 black 1/4 Native American, 1/4 Indian, and 1/4 Arab. Would you be able to pretty much date any race? Is the rule based on looks alone, immediate family, or can you look back through your family tree? Seems very subjective to me.

13. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

As far as the BJU issue is concerned, if they "were willing to use tax breaks from the federal government, then they had to be willing to accept that the federal government would not condone any type of racial discrimination. They lost their tax exemption status for this reason, and the Supreme Court agreed. They can have any rule they want, as long as they do not take advantage of the programs the federal government has to offer."------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The whole tax break thing is a farce. Johnson pinned it to not supporting a political candidate, now it is used to say conform to the governments wishes or else. But FP, this wont wash. If their is an absolute separation of church and state, why is the state taxing the church in the first place????????? Why are they making any determination at all about what goes on in a church or church school. They were not taking money, they were enjoying independance from the state.

But FP, you have failed to show if this is even a prevelent problem. For all I know it is only practised in a few odd schools.

There are two theories about not allowing the races to mix. One has to do with blacks decending from one of Noah's sons who was black and cursed and therefore his decendants are inferior. I can't remember the details becasue it is so stupped I would not want to tie up any brain cells trying to remember it.

The other is where God forbids the isrealites from mixing with outher races. But this is an ad hoc argument, it dose not follow that it would apply to any race other than Isreal, and in my oppinion it dose not apply to any but God's Chosen People. So, in short, there is no biblical authority for not allowing races to Mix, although there are many practical reasons why a parent may frown on it and discourage it, but I don't think they could use the Bible to back it up. And I don't think skin color would be the determining factor in a concerned parent's mind.

14. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

FP, as I recall, at BJU, the interacial person had to choose a race. But the whole thing is unbiblical so I think it is all a moot point.

15. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

"In this case, shouldn't we be encouraging private Christian schools to do away with rules that are not in line with Christian thought?"-----------------------------------------------------

We can encourage Johnv, but I was speaking of government coercion of a private church school, I guess you missed my point. You are two smart to confuse a boycot of a company by private individuals and government interfreance in a private university. If the students wanted to boycott the school that would be a different issue. You reasoning is disjointed in that post.

16. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

But FP, you have failed to show if this is even a prevelent problem. For all I know it is only practised in a few odd schools.

It very well could be a few odd schools, hence my question in the first place. I was not out to prove that this is a problem. I was seeking information. My whole point was to find out how prevalent it actually is. I was surprised that the rule is still enforced at some IFB schools and wanted to know more. I have no hidden agenda of any sort, I was just curious.

On the other hand, we do not live in a perfect world. In a perfect world, some might call for the absolute separation of church and state, and it would actually happen. BJU is a money making institution. In America money making institutions will be taxed, whether they are an extension of the church or not. A church is different from a school, especially a university because you do not have to pay to attend or be a member. IOW, it is not required. BJU may set its own admission standards, but upon acceptance you are required to pay for your education.

I don't necessarily hold your views of Israelites and interracial marriages either. They were not supposed to marry those outside of the Jewish faith, not necessarily other "races". Race is a modern evolutionary term. Moses married a Cushite woman, and even Ruth was not born an Israelite. However, this is not what the thread was about.

17. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

I understand fP. I'm reacting more to the people who are posting and acting as if this is the norm.

"I don't necessarily hold your views of Israelites and interracial marriages either. They were not supposed to marry those outside of the Jewish faith, not necessarily other "races". Race is a modern evolutionary term. Moses married a Cushite woman, and even Ruth was not born an Israelite. However, this is not what the thread was about. "-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think you missed my point. It is not my view. But in ancient Isreal, the faith and the race were the same with few exceptions. There is a Jewish race. The decendants of Jacob were forbidden to marry outside thier race or religion Moses was an odd situration, he was raised Egyption. There were some exceptions, but this is in the Bible. But the bottom line, is it does not apply to any other race than the one God directed it to, and I don't think it had anything to do with skin color.

As to BJU, they are a private organization. They did not take any money or perticipate in any government programs that I know of. They were simpy tax exempt. You say they are a money maker and not a church, but there are only two ways I know of that you can be tax exempt. That is to be non-profit or religious. The precedent is bad because it is the same one that the government uses to make church schools and daycares hire homosexuals and such.

BTW, how is the movie comming?

18. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

</font>[/QUOTE]I did not say discrimination is not biblical. Notice the word AND. What I meant, simply put, is that A.)it is racially discriminating, and B.)forbidding interracial marriage is not biblical.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Okay, I buy that.

By "not biblical" do you mean there is no Scripture forbidding interracial marriage or do you mean the Scriptures prohibit the forbidding of interracial marriage?

19. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

So, how is it unbiblical?

20. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Considering God is not a "respecter of persons," I would say no. Discrimination is not right. We should still set ourselves apart as Christians, but I do not see how discrimination benefits anyone. </font>[/QUOTE]But you do discriminate when you refuse to accept Muslims or JW's on the same basis as Christians. BTW, your reasoning regarding God not being a respecter of persons does not follow the purpose and context of the passage. God did discriminate between Israel and her enemies.