1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is the necessity of this rule?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Filmproducer, Oct 23, 2005.

1. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

They have the rule because their cultural interpretation of Scripture demands it. They cannot do otherwise without violating their worldview.

2. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

That is not the case for all schools. I already mentioned Fairhaven Bible College, whose administrator openly claimed that the rule was NOT based scripturally.

3. superdave

superdave New Member

I wouldn't use the term cultural interpretation of scripture in regards to this issue. It gives the patina of legitimacy to what is at best, incorrect interpretation of scripture, if not all out unbiblical.

Clearly, there are many rules and culturally sensitive issues faced by IFB schools that have unfortunately been given absolute moral connotations when that may have been the furthest thing from their minds when specific positions were set forth, this just happens to be one of the most odious and egregious examples.

4. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

Has anyone felt that IFB schools typically feel they are above the Bible when they institute rules (such as this) that are practically but not scripturally based? Sometimes schools feel they do not have to obey Matthew 18 in their disciplinary actions. Just a question!

5. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I noted earlier in this thread, many of these rules date from the era when Colleges were culturally if not legally bound to act in loco parentis. Cast your minds back to yesteryear and try to imagine how parents expected their 17+ to 21 year old cons and daughters to act. Further imagine the house rules for those kids. When you do, some of these vestigial College rules look less weird. They are obsolete and archaic, but not weird.

[ December 05, 2005, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: Squire Robertsson ]

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Squire makes a good point. The rule (as do many rules) does indeed qualify as obsolete and archaic, but weird? Objectively, no.

7. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

I agree Squire, at one time the rule would have been necessary, however, why do they choose to maintain the rule in this day and age? This rule tends to lend legitimacy to those who argue that interracial relationships and marriages are wrong and unbiblical, does it not? I am of the opinion that Christian schools should be able to give some biblical support, other than that of faith, when maintaining these types of rules.

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I for the life of me can't comprehend at what point in time the rule would have been considered necessary.

9. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Neither can I, Johnv. Perhaps I should have said, "would have been deemed necessary", instead. The rule was not ever "right", IMO, but before the Civil Rights Act of '64, it would probably have been a given.

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

ok, I see your point.

11. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In schools that otherwise have their heads on straight, I think the answer is the same one as why are there enough obsolete and archaic laws on the books of various jurisdictions for Reader's Digest to publish the periodic article listing them.

12. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

[​IMG] :rolleyes: OK, fair enough, you'll get no argument from me on that point.