1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is the one determining factor when an unbeliever comes to faith in Christ?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by canadyjd, May 29, 2011.

?
  1. God's intervention in the unbelievers life

30 vote(s)
    90.9%
  2. The unbelievers own natural ability to choose God

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Your boss analogy is a red herring as there is no gift involved. Im surprised to hear you say that to pay for and present a gift to someone magically turns into a wage for work done simply by the recediver accepting a gift. Are you going to tell me that when your kids open presents on christmas they go from being gifts to wages based on their ability to accept them and your response?!
    Praise God I do not believe such an illogical system!

2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was responding to your statement that they were "defiled in their thinking". You attributed that quote to Romans 1. I'm having a hard time finding the phrase "became defiled" in Romans 1.

My version says (.v 21) they "became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened." Is that the verse you are speaking of?
    That gets into the area of original sin. I'd rather not chase that rabbit in this thread. OK?

peace to you:praying:

3. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm surprised you heard me say something that I clearly did not say.
    And now I remember why I stopped responding to your posts.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Did you or did you not say if God is responding to mans decision man has earned it? Sure sounded like it to me. Completely illogical. I give you a gift, you then accept the gift, and since you accepted the gift you NOW have earned it and I NOW have paid you wages since my response was giving it to you? So I take it you thank yourself when receiving a gift as the response of both you and the giver necessitates a business transaction?

Surely you can do better...

#44 webdog, Jun 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2011
  5. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Yes.

Not really. We both affirm the doctrine of Original Sin. We are talking about the inability of mankind from birth to clearly see and understand truth so as being able to suppress it in the manner described here in Romans 1.

6. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's not what I said. I said if God is responding to man when He elects them to salvation, then man has earned it.

If God elects them to salvation based on what they do, then they have earned it where others did not earn it because they didn't do what the first man did.

If, however, God elects them to salvation based on His own purposes and desires, and then intervenes in their lives so as to bring them to a knowledge of the truth, and they then respond to God's intervention by placing faith in Jesus,....you have God's grace.
    I talking about your decision to give me the gift. If your decision to give me a gift is based on something I do, and you don't give the gift to someone else who didn't do the thing that I did, then I have merited the "gift" and the other person did not.
    I'm limited by the person I'm talking to.:smilewinkgrin:

7. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm going to study the verse a little more.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 John 5:11-12 (NIV)

11 And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12 Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life. :godisgood:

9. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Amen!

John 20:31 NIV
    But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

1 Tim 1:16
    But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It's still false. If I have decided I will give everyone I invite over to my home a gift, they don't earn the gift by coming to my home, nor is it any less of a gift for those who refuse my invitation to come over.
    So a person reaching out their arms to accept a gift has done something along the lines of a work meriting payment?!
    ...and His purpose and desire is to grant salvation to everyone covered by His blood. Only those in Christ are "elect".
    Completely illogical as I already addressed in my first reply.
    The person you are talking to actually knows what a gift is, and understands it remains a gift regardless of the action or non action of the recipient.