1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is the worst sin one can commit?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by mattjtayl, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I disagree that this "allows us to overlook our minor sins and excuse ourselves while we condemn others." It does not have that effect on me, or on others I know. When a believer is convicted of a sin - even a minor one like being rude to a store clerk - the believer feels bad and guilty, and confesses (or should) and asks for forgiveness. It seems like you are giving your reasons for rejecting this rather than looking at the text itself that supports this view.

What about the parable in Luke 12 about the blows?

Who said anything about a physical reward?

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

The rejection of Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord.

3. North Carolina Tentmaker

Hey Marcia, we disagree on this issue. That's ok, I really don't see it as that big an issue.
    Since you asked about it specifically, the parable in Luke 12 is a parable that compares two servants. They are both servants. I believe this is a parable to and about believers. The believers who have much and have been entrusted with much, more is expected of them. I believe Jesus is talking specifically about Christian leaders who are negligent in their responsibility. I do not believe this parable applies to the lost at all.

But that is just my opinion Marcia and I may be wrong. I may be wrong about hell too. I think we agree that whether there are degrees of punishment or not hell is still a bad place and we need to do wall we can to warn people about it.

4. Victorious

Victorious Member

I would have to ask, "Worst in what way?" Worst by offending God, or worst as it affects us physically or spiritually?

Of course, immorality affects us the most physically as we commit sin against our own bodies. But blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is unforgivable.

Even so, other than commiting the unforgivable sin, it doesn't really matter what sin we commit. All of them will exact the same penalty in God's eyes. Thank God for Jesus Christ for saving us from the justice due us.

5. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it is blowing bubbles in your milk at the dinner table. That's pretty bad.

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is not our sin that condemns us:

John 3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

But that we (mankind in general) love our sin and evil deeds and prefer the darkness over God's light (Jesus Christ).

HankD​