1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is your absolute final authority?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by AVBunyan, Nov 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We must remember that GOD is a God of ABSOLUTES. Guesswork about the things of God just won't do.

All you've given us is your OPINION. Now, while you're free to hold any opinion ya wish, including your choice of final written authority, that doesn't mean that, in God's sight, you're ABSOLUTELY right.

All you've given us is a STATEMENT, without the first quark of PROOF that it's right. When speaking of the things of GOD, we shouldn't make such a statement without ABSOLUTE PROOF that it's RIGHT. We have repeatedly and often asked the KJVOs to PROVE their position, and they JUST CANNOT DO IT, but most will continue living inside a cloud so far as the issue goes.

Your stated refusal to answer questions just serves to prove that you CANNOT understand right now that the KJVO myth is a LIE, and that you DON'T wanna face the TRUTH that God is not limited to just the KJV. Didn't paul, speaking from knowledge that Christ had given him, say "**ALL** Scripture is given..."? Did Paul give the slightest hint that any one version is the only 'official' one? Of course not.

Yes, MY final written authority is ALL SCRIPTURE.

#81 robycop3, Nov 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2006
  2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Obviously, this is from a MV, :rolleyes: in this, for this 'song', "in the original fundamentalist", {laugh} {laugh} reads this way: (BTW, it is originally a 'black-letter' song, not a 'green letter' song.) :tongue3: (The Green Letters is actually a book written by a fairly well known Bible teacher and dispensationalist, Miles J. Stanford, who BTW, had no little or no Sunday School or 'church' background, prior to being saved, and no 'Bible College' or Seminary training, afterwards. )

My hope is built on nothing less,
    Than Scofield's notes and Moody Press!

This is how it 'correctly' reads in the 'Authorized Version' :thumbsup: :laugh:

(I'm not 'absolutely' sure, but think it was the AV-1911!) {laugh} {laugh}

Ed

#82 EdSutton, Nov 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2006
  3. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, A_A...Erasmus supplied the words in question to his first TR from the LV. And the verses were found in other Greek mss besides those Erasmus used or they prolly wouldn'ta been left in.

As for Scriptural proof...the existence of the Alex mss speaks for itself. Do YOU know who wrote them? Do YOU know who wrote any of the Byz mss? Can YOU prove one right & the other wrong? If not, you're just guessing, same as the KJVOs are.

Again, my final authority is ALL SCRIPTURE. If GOD didn't want us to have the Alex mss among others, we wouldn't have them...simple as that.

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Now that last paragraph is what I would call an unwarranted 'free shot', or ad hominem attack by proxy, take your pick. {scowl} :rolleyes:

Ed

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Hate to stop having fun, but my "final authority" :love2:, has just "laid down the law" in that it's time for services. Gotta run, and I agree. I need my morning nap! :sleep:

Ed

7. Anti-Alexandrian

I know that.The LV derived from the Old Latin,which in turn came from the Byzantine MSS(ACTS).Do a pre-conceived notionLESS study into Church history and you will see that.MAYBE.

And what MSS would those be? Aleph or B? Erasmus had access to ALL the variants found in those MSS and rejected them.My point is simply this:The translators of today's "bibles" AGREE,consciously or not,with the readings that Erasmus used.

But where is the chapter and verse to support that?

Yep...And I also know who else had their hands on them! The Philosopher and Gnostics of Alexandria,Egypt......evedent by simply reading John 1:18(Galatians 5:9).

Yep! READ ACTS!

READ ACTS!!!!!!!!!!! The absence or ANY SCRIPTURAL SUPPORT for the Alexandrian "bibles" and MSS should settle that one...

No guesswork needed.Just read Acts to find out WHERE God chose the word to be preserved and read the SAME to find out by whom....My request is simple:provide some verses that claim your position or conceed it as guesswork.

8. AVBunyan

AVBunyan New Member

I assumed Deacon may have been heading somewhere while using Bunyan as an example (and I thought he was making a valid comparison) - I answered the first part sincerely and added the second just in case that was part of the reason for the question.

Deacon - no disrepect intended - If I misread you then I apologize and will edit ym post regarding the issue.

God bless

9. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read Acts many times...also showed your Antioch thingie as imagination in past threads.

A great man of God, Apollos, came from Alexandria. He musta had the already-written Scriptures there. However, it took some Christians to teach him about JESUS. I'm sure Apollos wasn't the only righteous person in all Egypt.

Byzantium(Constantinople, Istanbul) was the set of mucho idol worship, & also the seat of corrupted doctrines injected into Christianity such as the egg-laying Easter bunny which was brought to this city by Constantine's "missionaries" to the Germanic tribes living on the border of the "Holy Roman" Empire.

Your "anti-Alex" obsession holds no water.

10. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just curious, I have a couple of different editions of Bunyons Pilgrim's Progress and find that I enjoy it much better in an updated language version.
    Unfortunately my favorite edition seems to have been leant out to someone and not returned.

Sadly my most readable version is any one with big print...
    ...one re-told by Cheryl V. Ford that includes biblical references.

You do know that if John Bunyan was on the BaptistBoard he would argue against the KJV.

Rob

11. AVBunyan

AVBunyan New Member

No I do not know - where do you get that from?

God bless

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Nothing new is being put forth here and we are on page 10. Thread will be closed sometime tonight

13. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kewl. I believe Mr. Bunyan's question was answered by all who were interested. He prolly didn't like the answers, but he asked for them & received them. Now, this thread has become deja vu for the same ole non-valid points.

14. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Yep.

Non-valid point's alright. And quite nauseating.

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Do you mean to say that the Holy Spirit resides in Nashville and Dallas? Sounds much like Mecca of the U.S.

16. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  17. Anti-Alexandrian

Name one that has corrupted the correct line of Bibles.

18. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Closed by consensus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.