1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is your church's "standard" or "pew" Bible?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by LarryN, Jun 27, 2005.

?
  1. KJV

43.3%
  2. NKJV

5.0%
  3. NASB

38.3%
  4. NIV

3.3%
  5. ESV

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. HCSB

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. NLT

10.0%
  8. None of the above. (Please specify version in a reply.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Do any Baptist Churches have the "Good News" Bible as a Pew Bible?

2. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

We bring our own Bibles to church and they are all KJV.

The only things in the pew are hymnals, offertory envelopes, and people. ;)

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

None of our preachers use the KJV when preaching. NKJV or ASV.

4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doubtful, though with the number of Baptists around, it's possible. That ABS version has been superceded by better products, including the NIV, long ago.

5. robertkyxiota

robertkyxiota New Member

Yeah PDL has a habit of using whatever translation suits what it's trying to say best.

The church I'm currently in and the one that I grew up in both use NIV.

6. mioque

mioque New Member

My church recently swapped pew Bibles, going from the so called 'New Translation' of 1951 to the so called 'New Bible Translation' of 2005.
    Dutch Bible translation teams do not make us marvel with their flair for creative namegiving. ;)

7. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

M -- is it fair to assume that you do not have the "my translation is better than your translation" stuff that goes on in the states???

Just wondering.

8. mioque

mioque New Member

FriendofSpurgeon
    To the contrary, there is an alife and well only-ist movement in the Netherlands, centered around the Dutch States Bible of 1637. The movement consists completely of what American Fundies would describe as 'babysprinkling Hypercalvinists'.
    The issue doesn't exist outside of that group of small denominations that feud endlessly with eachother about theological issues that are so esoteric that nobody on the outside fully understands what they are fighting about. [​IMG]

9. EaglewingIS4031

EaglewingIS4031 New Member

Our church has NIV's as pew Bibles. When I joined the church a few years ago I was adament about the NASB. I had never been to a Baptist church that did not use some form of the NASB ie '77 or 95.

I asked the Pastor "why the NIV?" he said he would rather preach from the KJ, because it is what he grew up with and is familiar with. But in '91 the deacon board voted to put in pew Bibles. Evedently there was a heated debate about which versions to use. One prominent deacon stood up and said "Who do you want these bibles to reach the churched or the unchurched, you or your grandchildren, after all we who are churched will continue to bring our own Bibles to the service."
    So they chose the NIV and the preacher began preaching from the NIV.

I would prefer us to use a more "FE" bible such as the NASB, ESV, or HCSB. I voted for the HCSB in Question 3 because it is used in the SS literature.

Before I came to this church I thought all SBC chruches used the NIV in Sunday School and the NASB in worship service. [​IMG] Which IMHO is one of the reasons the SBC created the HCSB a.k.a the Heavily Controlled by Southern Baptist Bible. :D

10. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Mioque --

Thanks for the note. I had no idea that you had those same arguments on your side of the ocean.

Interesting that the "only" debate is going on within the Reformed church there and within the Baptists here in the states.

FOS

11. mioque

mioque New Member

FOS
    The Dutch States Bible was a government sponsored translation custom made for the Dutch Reformed State Church. The modern Dutch only's all belong to groups that split of the Dutch Reformed state church. Their choiche of Bible makes much more sense than the obsession certain baptists have with the KJB which was after all a translation custom made for the Anglican Church.

12. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have no pew Bibles. The pastor uses mostly the NIV and we bring what we want to - I usually bring a KJV. Nobody in the Church makes a big deal out of what Bible version other poeple use.