1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is YOUR meaning of FUNDAMENTALIST?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Lace, Apr 29, 2003.

1. Lace

Lace Guest

This is the opposite take of another thread....we've heard how folks define "Liberal"...let's take a look
    at "FUNDAMENTALIST".

What is your definition of FUNDAMENTAL CHRISTIAN?

2. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

The opposite of 'liberal'. :D

There have been lengthy discussion on here about this subject. I'm not sure which forum they were posted in, but you could do a search.

Have you been to the Welcome Forum at the top of the main page? That's where you get to introduce yourself and we all get to welcome you! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sue

3. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

Click for similar topic

Here is one of at least a dozen more. Use the search engine. This topic has been discussed many, many, many times on this forum.

[ April 29, 2003, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: Wisdom Seeker ]

4. Lace

Lace Guest

Thank you for your direction Sue.
    I appreciate your style.

5. Baptist Bible Believer

The second link that wisdomseeker posted points to the thread "What is legalism".

Are you saying that Fundamentalists are legalists?

6. Lace

Lace Guest

ooops

some kind of system glitch.....

sorry.

7. Lace

Lace Guest

I do believe WS was making a blunt point.
    :D I was going to let it sllllllllide. [​IMG]

8. Lace

Lace Guest

My definition of a fundamentalist is one who:

accepts God at His Word...and God's Word as the final authority.

Does not try to mold God's Word to fit his life but allows God to break and mold his life into the likeness of Jesus Christ and a useful vessel for service unto God.

is convicted of his sin unto repentance and is gradually regenerated from the sinful state God found him into the likeness of Jesus.

places their hope in this life and for eternity in nothing less and nothing more than Jesus Christ's cleansing blood.

is saved by grace.....and wants a lost and dying world to know Jesus Christ is their only hope to escape the damnation of hell and to have everlasting life in heaven.

doesn't believe it takes trendy tactics to attract the lost sinner to the saving grace of Jesus Christ. Jesus is eternal.....trends change with the tide.

I am saved by grace and fundamentalist by conviction. I thank God for not giving up on me and give Him the glory for all that I am and all I ever will be.

*****My humble apology to anyone the possible repetition of this subject may offend. I have not been here long....and have not come across a thread quite like this....and the subject bears repeating in my humble opinion.

9. Y'Israel

Y'Israel Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have read those threads referenced...and others here...

posted on many MBs over the years...

post on a MB...and do battle with Chrasmatics...strange bunch...

post on a another...and do battle with heathens...new agers...most people here wouldn't last past the first post there...would get shot down before they hit the enter button...

post on another...and do battle with lukewarms...who want to love everybody right in to the fiery pit...

this MB is like walking into the Church at Ephesus..."...some having swerved have turned aside unto vain jangling;..."

The purpose of the law is found in its inward work upon the heart...

not in mere outward observance...

without that understanding...

the purpose of the law is to show us our sin... not to lead us to righteousness...Galatians 3:24-25
    sound doctrine and right conduct are completely intertwined...

The law cannot bring righteousness...the glories gospel of the blessed God can...

these people appear to have become pharisitical "white-washed tombs," clean on the outside...

but on the inside...full of corruption

they make otiose speculations about the scriptures...

which may have analytical and entertainment value...but were never meant to be our spiritual diet...

They have forgotten their First Love...

and don't appear to want to be reminded...by the new guys on the block...they rather prefer...for the most part...to continue...understanding neither what they say nor the things which they affirm...not even understanding the implications of their own teaching...

I checked my spelling...don't want to get into trouble with the spelling police again...

10. Y'Israel

Y'Israel Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    just wanted to add...to me...liberals and conservatives...are just two wings...flappin' off the same ole tired bird...

11. Baptist Bible Believer

I must agree that some on the board - presumably Fundamentalists, else why would they be posting here, seem to be more confortable with liberalism than with the old foundations, the landmarks of our faith.

Others, and perhaps this is part of our pedigree, seem to take more pleasure discussing alcohol, Sodomites and standards than in just growing in grace and in the knowledge of our LORD and SAVIOUR JESUS CHRIST.

While I have been musing on this subject - and by the way, I don't fault our new member for posting yet another thread on this worthwhile subject - if for no other reason to countermand the one that was posted on liberalism. What? Are there not other threads posted dealing with that as well?

As I was saying, while I was thinking on the subject - it comes to mind that Fundamentalists are the extreme degree of Christianity toward the right, as cults are to the wrong.

Think about this. The cults know their scriptures to the extent that they put most Christians to shame for their superior knowledge of "their" doctrines. You take the average member of almost any of our "Independent, Fundamental, Bible-believing New Testament Churches and will not an "average" cultist run circles around him? Some claim that Southern Baptists are "fundamental and independent", yet I have found but few that know the word as the Baptist alluded to above.

A Fundamentalist is first of all a Christian, but above all else they are the "people of the Book". Aside from our five to twenty "Fundamentals", is not a Fundamentalist known above all things as one that is ". . . ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear" (well, maybe not always with meekness and fear.

A Fundamentalist is generally not the one asking the questions, he is more likely to be the one answering the question - with authority, with grace, with every i dotted and every t crossed. In other words, he is the one with the Book, chapter and verse for those things which he believes.

Yes, brethren, it is unlikely that the faith of our fathers is going to be discussed that the wicked one, our adversary, is not going to try to enter in and bring confusion. To that end, Brother Murphy, thank you for the courage and insight to open a board for the likes of us - but you do know that your stewardship is going to be pretty much a full-time endeavor.

Let me say one other thing. I know Y'Israel. You are not going to find many more godly than she. She has done much battle - to my attestation - with the forces of darkness, and has stood her ground admirably using the Sword of the SPIRIT - the precious Word of GOD. She know it well. When she speaks, I would hope that the wise man would listen and heed.

She is not only a tough ol' bird, but she is also a probation officer working with some of the most dangerous dregs of society. Long ago I learned that this lady has a nose that can smell out deception almost as soon as it starts to speak.

These are but a few of my reflections on this issue, "What is a Fundamentalist."

12. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

The only point I was making was agreeing with Sue.

I typed in Fundamentalism in th search engine and it gave me a lot of choices...I just picked the first two. I've deleted the one about legalism for those who took offense.

Lace...Instead of letting something slide...please say something. I would rather have a chance to defend myself than have anyone assume I'm saying something that I am not.

[ April 29, 2003, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: Wisdom Seeker ]

13. C.S. Murphy

C.S. Murphy New Member

Lace I agree with your post. Thanks. [​IMG]
    Murph

14. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen! [​IMG]

I strongly identify with this definition. I am this kind of fundamentalist. [​IMG]

15. Lace

Lace Guest

Wisdom Seeker

I am going to say this one time.....as kindly as I know how......

I am new to this board....but I am not new to so called Christian message boards.....nor am I new to battle against Liberals, Lukewarms, Heathens, Reprobates and Apostates.....etc.

I've stood the ground against New Agers of all persuasions and have helped drive intellectual serpents back into the holes they crawled out of with the aid of God's Holy Word...KJO...

None of this has been done for sport or folly....it has been precious time spent defending the name of my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ with hope of getting the True Gospel out to lost souls.

I've come here with a shortened ID.....among more familiar circles I am known as Lace Hanky and Sword........the Sword is the Word of God. I do not go off half cocked looking for pointless banter......

If I am wrong I ask forgiveness.....but it seems you have resented my stand against the liberal slant on this board...and had a snitty attitude since discovering I was not amused by ear tickling.

Do not take this personally...because it applies to everyone...

but I do not care to return the little digs tit for tat...

You say you are a fundamental Christian....if so we are in this together....in the name of Jesus...if not...sharpen your Sword....because I use mine.

With all due respect
    Lace

16. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lace - I would encourage you to read a lot more before you post again. A lot of threads. You come across with a vain and arrogant spirit and then, after 30 posts, chide the moderators for being "liberal"?

Please do not respond (except to apologize). We want you to grow up and act mature and responsible and become a good, functioning part of our BB family!

We are doing our part; please do yours! Thanks!

17. Lace

Lace Guest

Bro Bob

I humbly accept your rebuke.....

Lace

18. Lace

Lace Guest

Brother Bob.....you have accused me of chiding a moderator.....who might that be?

and, in all due respect.....

"You come across with a vain and arrogant spirit"

That statement is a fine example of the "one finger pointing----three coming back at you" illustration.

Was that your intention? Frequently the pot calls the kettle black.

I didn't come here to make friends......I came here to defend what I believe. I still think your profile is great! But you got one thing very right.....you are a recovering Pharisee...

Sincerely
    Lace

19. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I Cor 13:1. Tinkling cymbal.

20. C.S. Murphy

C.S. Murphy New Member

I do hope that we can all add making friends as one of our goals on this board. There are some who we will not be able to and the truths of scripture and the way different people interpret them will keep some of us apart but we should make the effort to reach out and be kind to others while we share with them our views. At times we are all vain and arrogant but I do wish we could refrain from calling names on the open forum, please use a pm for anything personal.

Murph