1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is your State Getting

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by LeBuick, Mar 6, 2009.

1. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is my state getting? Sold.

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Maybe that'll increase what the rest of us get. I hope they get a good price... :thumbsup:

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Judas valued Christ at 30 pieces of silver. What do you value liberty?

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

My liberty has been bought and paid in full...

Gal 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

6. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

I don't know if its what we're getting or just as it says, the 'shovel ready' projects of mayors submitted in their 2008 report. Was this a wish list?

Practically all 18 pages listing projects for Florida, to the cost estimate of 15+Billion Dollars is in the Northeast, Mid, and Southern portions of the State.

Here our unemployment rate is already better than 7-8% in the two northwestern most counties...... and growing.... and none of the pork is projected for here.

Personally, I'm glad.

My representative recently gave us a report which was less than optimistic about the stimulus dollars which are coming to the states: Some, if not all, do involve certain hoops to jump through, if accepted........ For example, in order to accept stimulus money which will support or add employment for x number of jobs for a period of 3 years, there's an agreement that those jobs will be maintained for a period of 5 years or the funds will be owed back to the federal government.

Personally, I'd rather us 'chance it' without the stimulus!

7. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I find crazy & stupid is that the Mobile County School Board is getting showered with $360 million. The school board has always had problems managing money. I don't see how giving them more money is going to help them if they can't manage it properly. This has been an on going issue since the late 1980's. I think they should prove they can handle what little money they have before getting the massive amount of money that's expected to be given to them.

8. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Interesting study in government per/person expenditure and efficiency. Years ago in a certain local election I asked a candidate a question about how many kids were being served or cost per student after she told us how much the school budget for the county was. (She was making some kind of point about student attendance and matching federal dollars dependant on that and the cost of student absence.) She didn't know so I went to the school board offices and they gave me copies of their budget: The budget was broken into many parts.... but the simplest solution was to divide the number of kids into the overall amount. I then called the private schools in this area which are not funded with tax dollars, and got their fees for k-12th grade, the special fees charged for books, lockers, gym or labs instruction, transportation, etc. Amazingly, the unfunded schools came in less per student in a range of $500-$1000 less than the public school system even with all possible fees added in. Yet all property owners in the county help fund the public school system and those who choose private education have additional fees to pay whcih were neither tax deductible nor refunded by tax revenue.

So visit the school board for your city and county and see just how many students are being served and the total of budget. Expect the budget to include items like buses, salaries, maintance, buildings, books, teachers salaries, equipment, administrative cost...... every aspect which makes up the budget to the functioning of the school system.... Then divide out the cost and consider does this look or seem efficient to you? Take into consideration things like class size.

For comparison, you might try comparing with the exspenses and fees charged parents by the local private schools. I don't know that you'll find the differences which I found in the early 80's, but it may give you some idea of the pork in the public school system.

9. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whatever Texas is getting, with all the strings attached, I'd be more then willing to forego...

But the feds would just give it to Califoirnia or New York to bail out their braindead liberal big spending governments, so....

we keep it and use it properly.:thumbs:

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

theres always strings, and strings cost money, freedom, and morals

11. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This isn't what we are getting. It's what the mayors' put in a request for before the election in November.

Whoever labeled it "Stimulus Watch" is misleading the reader.

However, it does make for interesting reading.

12. targus

targus New Member

I wonder if perhaps we were being set up here.

Are we supposed to breathlessly marvel at the wonderful projects that the "stimulus" bill will be providing in our respective areas...

...so that the originator of this thread can switch the topic to "hypocrisy"?

No proof here... just speculating.

If that is the case too bad that no one took the bait.

13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's definitely misnamed.

There is no stimulus to watch. It's just government spending money.

It should be called a spending/debt watch.

14. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I don't doubt you but what makes you so sure this is not where the money is actually going? I didn't see anything when I stumbled across the page to indicate that.

15. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Why do you feel all these projects are wasteful spending? I watched a new report showing the first project to get started and they were going to rebuild a bridge in MO. While the reporter was doing his report a huge chunk of concrete feel from the bridge as a large truck rolled past. They turned the camera up toward the bridge and you could see the rebarb.

They also showed the support columns with fencing tied around them trying to keep the concrete up. That bridge was in bad shape and should have been properly repaired long ago. I think it's a danger to every person who crosses it. Being pro-life should mean we are pro ALL life and you can kill just as many people from inaction as you can with wrong actions.

16. targus

targus New Member

It seems that you did not carefully read the very site that you linked...

"Projects in Colorado
    Below are the "shovel-ready" projects the mayors of this state submitted in the 2008 U.S. Conference of Mayors report. You can click on a project to read (and add to) its description. You can also discuss the project and vote on whether you believe it is critical or not. For a more local view, you can drill down to projects in a particular city. Just choose a city from the following list.

The total of cost of all the projects submitted by Colorado is $2,447,922,036"

Scarlett O is correct.