1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is Your View of The Atonement By Jesus Christ?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Saved-By-Grace, Nov 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Strike Two!

1Now on the same occasion there were some present who reported to Him about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mixed with their sacrifices. 2And Jesus said to them, “Do you suppose that these Galileans were greater sinners than all other Galileans because they suffered this fate? 3“I tell you, no, but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish. 4“Or do you suppose that those eighteen on whom the tower in Siloam fell and killed them were worse culprits than all the men who live in Jerusalem? 5“I tell you, no, but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.”
    Christ was teaching against retribution theology.

He, because the King of the kingdom was at hand, could call for repentance.

He knew the hearts, He knew that they aligned circumstance and physical well-being with sin.

He was showing such was an improper alignment.

He was not calling them to salvation. HE is salvation. He is the author and finisher. NONE other.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Saved-By-Grace

Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    are you seriously saying that a sinner can be born-again without repenting of their sins?

3. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look,

YOU laid a very, very serious claim before the readers of the BB.

Do YOU recant from such a claim?

4. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [Edited: Quoting deleted post]

Strike Three!

Well, I was going to give you an out by merely having the administrators remove the offensive post.

But, you press the issue by now claiming I misrepresent the Scriptures.

Just so you can remember, this is what Titus teaches.

1) a person is saved because "He" the Christ saved,
    2) there is NO righteous deeds (much less unrighteous) that can be done to have gained salvation.
    3) salvation is because (by, through...) the washing regenerative work of the Holy Spirit.
    4) it is poured out by Christ.

Now, YOU want to claim that repentance is part of that statement in Titus.

I showed where repentance occurs. It is the result of the work of God, not that which attains the work of God.

You disagreed and made a very dishonorable claim, repeating the claim that I now misrepresent the words of Christ.

Rather then recanting, and merely asking the administrators to remove the offensive post(s) you have become more obstinate in proclamations without foundation.

So, why don't you start again.

Ask that post 94,96,97 be deleted from the thread.

Set your exuberance aside and discuss Scriptures.

#104 agedman, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2017
  5. Saved-By-Grace

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have said all that I have to on this with you

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God anger/wrath is being built up daily before God, as in the judgement those sins will receive their due wrath and punishment, correct?

7. Saved-By-Grace

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are some on these forums that are spiritually blinded, and cannot see Truth as taught in the Bible, even when you show them very clearly from the Word, that their position is wrong!

8. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you serious?

You make wild accusation(s) that are unproven, and then claim that "some on these forums that are spiritually blinded."

You claim repentance is necessary BEFORE salvation.

Peter said that BOTH repentance and baptism in the name of the Lord Jesus was required for the forgiveness of sins.

How would you explain baptism occurs AFTER salvation but repentance is BEFORE, and yet Peter telling the people differently?

Perhaps it might be necessary to apologize and ask certain posts to be deleted and move on with proving Scripture with Scriptures rather than trying to inspect the eyesight of others.

9. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will, as a Calvinist, "admit" that. Calvinists do not believe that men are inactive puppets, or that they have no obligations. What we understand to be evident from scripture is that men are made new creature/born again, by the Holy Spirit, through God's word proclaimed - THEN they respond in faith.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scripture?

11. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't be so hard on yourself. You are not totally spiritually blind. Just very myopic. And don't worry, we will continue to teach you the truth until the light comes on. :)

12. Saved-By-Grace

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit" (Acts 2:38). It is the "repentance" that saves the sinner, NOT the "baptism". The Greek for "for", (εἰς) has the meaning "because of", as when used by Jesus Christ for the preaching of Jonah, when the people of Nineveh "repented because of (εἰς) the preaching of Jonah" (Matthew 12:41). In both cases it was the "repenting" that brought salvation for these sinners. Note Jesus' words in Mark's Gospel, "And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned" (16:15-16). No "baptism" mentioned the second time, showing it is not a requirement for salvation!

I am off to bed here in England...

#112 Saved-By-Grace, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  13. Saved-By-Grace

Faith:
    Baptist
    :Roflmao

14. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would caution you not to. God takes His word very seriously. You should too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to stick with what scripture says. I provided two verses which explicitly state the basis of God choosing individuals for salvation. But did not list them, probably because you did not consider they present something different from your mantra.

1) Through faith in the truth. Now is that phrase just using "truth" as a name for Jesus? Or does the phrase encompass trusting in God and His word? And if we ignore what God says, would we meet God's criteria for election?

2) God chose the poor to the world. Is the idea that those chosen do not treasure what the world treasures?

3) Rich is faith. So not only do those chosen have faith in the truth, but they are rich in faith, List what would make you rich in faith?

4) Heirs to the kingdom promised to those who love God. Did our love and devotion result in striving to become Christ-like, striving to learn all He commanded, and striving to keep His commandments?

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  17. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I want to congratulate you on sharing Scripture.

Of course, neither one is about God pouring wrath upon either His Son or believers, but you did actually use Scripture. :)

So, how do you tie in these with the thread - "what is your view of atonement by Jesus Christ?"

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus in the Garden was dealing with Himself soon having to take upon Himself that awful Bowl/Cup of the Wrath of God to come upon sins and sinners!

19. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scripture?

20. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How does "Awake, awake, stand up, O Jerusalem, which hast drunk at the hand of the LORD the cup of his fury; thou hast drunken the dregs of the cup of trembling, and wrung them out" or "And I heard a great voice out of the temple saying to the seven angels, Go your ways, and pour out the vials of the wrath of God upon the earth" support your assertion? I don't see it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.