1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is your view of the Lord's Supper?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by dr396, Mar 16, 2004.

1. dr396

dr396 New Member

I am taking a class right now called "Contemporary Roman Catholic Theology." We are examining RC from the perspective of the post-Vatican II church. We recently got into a discussion about the various views of the Lord's Supper (Catholic, Lutheran, Calvinist, Zwinglian) and the class was generally divided between the strict Zwinglian view (completely a memorial) and the Calvinist view (Christ is spiritually present, but we can't know how). I am interested to see what those on the board believe.

D.R.

2. Jeffrey H

Jeffrey H New Member

D.R.

I'm surprised to see that I'm the first one to respond to this after 2 days of no responses.

My view of the Lord's Supper is primarily a memorial as a remembrance of Christ's sacrifice and resurrection, and the promise of his second coming. We should take the Supper often as Jesus commanded for our spiritual nourishment. I believe "often" does not mean once every quarter. In my experience with Baptist churches in my area, the Lord's Supper is only observed 4 to 6 times a year and does NOT have a place of priority when we plan our worship services.

I have a Baptist and Presbyterian background and my view of the Lord's Supper is somewhat colored by my time spent in the Presbyterian church. Like the Baptists, Presbyterians view the Supper as a memorial, but unlike Baptists, they also see it as a "sacrament" in that Christ is spritually present in the elements (Calvin). I have no problem with this view, even though I'm a member of a Baptist church.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We ask folks NOT to post the same question in various forums. This question is already on the Theology Forum, with 11 responses.

So will close this duplicate post. Jeffrey, you can copy your answer here and post it on the other forum if you desire.