1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What kind of Calvinist are you?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Humble Disciple, Jul 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Humble Disciple

Humble Disciple Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Types of Calvinism – A Comprehensive List

This article, in painstaking detail, explains the different types of historical Calvinism.

I am a moderate Calvinist, who believes that Adam made the free-willed choice to sin which resulted in our fallen condition, in unconditional election and preterition rather than double predestination, that the Gospel should be preached to all indiscriminately, and that God loves all people, even if non-salvifically.

I believe that we shouldn't be any more extremely Calvinist than John Calvin himself. The most extreme Calvinists go even further than the historical confessions ever did.

[​IMG]

#1 Humble Disciple, Jul 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    was in list 3, but now in list 2~

3. Humble Disciple

Humble Disciple Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This explains my own feelings as a moderate Calvinist:

4. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    @Humble Disciple :

I hold to elements of 1,2 and 3, even though I do not self-identify as a "Calvinist".

I reject "Duty/Faith" ( sometimes known as "Fullerism" ) because I see true faith as being a gift that no man can "exercise", but has to be given to them by God... but I affirm that all men have a responsibility to repent and to acknowledge Christ as Lord.
    I reject the idea that God loves the reprobate, even though He makes His grace known to all.
    I reject the common teaching that God casts people that He loves into eternal fire and instead hold that only those that are accursed and hated by God will be punished.
    I reject today's popular "God loves everyone/John 3:16" type of "evangelism", and instead hold to the example that Paul exhibited on Mars Hill and in many other places in the book of Acts...preaching Christ crucified for sinners without mentioning any of the benefits of being a Christian.
    I reject any form of carnal persuasion that seeks to convince anyone to "make a decision for Christ" and hold that the preached word of God combined with the power of the Holy Spirit is what does the work of God. If the Spirit is not present and working in a person, then the word of God falls on "deaf ears".
    I reject "compatibilism" and hold that man's will stops dead at the threshold of repentance, despite God's commandments. In other words, man's will and God's sovereignty are not mutually compatible, but they are at odds with each other unless the Lord mercifully grants a person the new birth.

I affirm "Supralapsarianism" because I see God deciding to create people "in Christ" from the foundation of the world...vessels of mercy,
    at the same time as creating people that would then fit themselves for destruction...vessels of wrath.
    Those vessels are made to be taken and destroyed, similar to what 2 Peter 2:12 states regarding the false teachers.
    They stumble at the word, whereunto they were appointed ( 1 Peter 2:8 ).

I affirm active reprobation as found in John 12:37-41, Romans 11:7-8 and 2 Corinthians 4:3-4.
    I affirm Holy Spirit-guided and motivated evangelism, and see nothing wrong with preaching Christ crucified for sinners to all men indiscriminately.
    I affirm that God uses means to achieve His ends. Those means specifically include what is found in Romans 10:14-15 and 1 Corinthians 1:21.
    I affirm that providence is God's right to exercise, and that men are responsible to repent...that His goodness leads men to do so, but that we will not due to our inherent love of sin and hatred of God and His ways.

I affirm "Eternal Justification" in the sense that a believer is not justified by God at point of belief, but rather shown to be already justified by God...
    Belief of the Gospel from the heart, confession of Jesus Christ with the mouth and faith that endures to the end are all evidences of a person's being justified and reconciled to God by the death of His Son on the cross.

Also,
    Over the past 20 years or so, I have traveled from elements of # 9 all the way up to some of # 1.

I have not held to Amyraldism for almost 3 years now,
    and am firmly convinced, more than ever, that "Particular Redemption"" is the truth of the Scriptures.

#4 Dave G, Jul 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  5. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is written for the Calvinist using Calvinist rhetoric terminology and meanings. The Biblical bases are vacant.
    Repeat, it is written for Calvinists.

6. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As the OP is now perma-banned, this thread is now closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.