1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Kind of Parent Are You? Snowplow? Helicopter?

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by InTheLight, Mar 22, 2019.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What kind of parent are you? Snowplow parent? Tiger? Jellyfish? Helicopter parent?

According to this article, I'm a free-range dolphin parent.
    -----

Snowplow Parents. They clear away obstacles to ensure that their children don’t have to deal with frustrations or failures, so they’ve got a clear path ahead of them, similar to how a plow clears snow off the street.

Lawn mower Parent: Similar to the snowplow, this proactive parent “mows down” all of their child’s struggles, challenges and discomforts. Sometimes also referred to as “bulldozer parents” or “curling parents” (for those who follow curling).

Helicopter Parent: The “hovering” and overprotective parent falls into the snowplow or bulldoze camp, as he or she takes an excessive interest in their child’s life and tries to oversee every area — especially academics — from overhead. They have also been known to complain to a teacher about a bad grade, or an employer about their child’s workload.

Tiger Parent: This tough-love, authoritarian style refers to raising a child in a tough, disciplinarian way that puts academics and extracurricular activities intended to give kids an advantage in academics ahead of leisure time.

Elephant Parent: The opposite of the tiger parent, this one is very nurturing and protective, particularly while the child is under age 5, and put encouragement and emotional security over academic success.

Jellyfish Parent: These permissive parents have few rules and expectations, and often overindulge their children.

Dolphin Parent: This “firm yet flexible” parent is a balance between the tiger and the jellyfish. While they enforce rules and academic expectations, they also nurture creativity and independence in their children, and let them learn by trial and error.

Free-Range Parent: The mother or father who lets their children walk to school, a friend’s house or a nearby playground alone, or who lets their child take public transportation by themselves, believing this builds independence and self-reliance in their kids. This controversial take has drawn backlash from those who fear this is dangerous or neglectful.

How to tell if you are a ‘snowplow parent’

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tiger until I learned better, then something between dolphin and free-range.

3. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No kind.

4. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tiger & free range, I guess.

5. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was raised free-range. I google my old houses and can’t believe how far that range took me.... sometimes cycling 30 miles from home.

Parents gave me a rule, ‘don’t cross over the highway’... so I managed to find a culvert under it.

Raised my 3 girls (well my wife raised my 3 girls) as a dolphin parent... there were some successes and many failures... all turned out well.

Rob

6. Steve Allen

Steve Allen Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Dolphin w/ a dash of free-range.

7. kathleenmariekg

kathleenmariekg Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm, I don't think any of these labels describe the Christian parents that rear their children for leadership and missions and evangelism as their primary focus.

8. Hannahande

Hannahande Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dolphin parent here :Inlove

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

Have you checked with local churches, food panties, ect......