1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What makes these other churches think they are right and other's are wrong?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by John544, Nov 6, 2003.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And guess what??? "we all got 'em"!! Each of the churches you see represented here - has Bible teaching authorities within those groups. In Mark 7 the "Magesterium of the One TRUE Church started by God at Sinai" was declared to be in "Doctrinal error".

So nothing new there.

But as you point out - instruction truth and learning can also come from EACH of the denomination's "Magesterium"!! Even from your own. (I seem to recall some Papal statements about the inquisition published here not long ago).

In Christ,

Bob

2. MikeS

MikeS New Member

You're mistaking "partial" with "error." The Universal Church certainly has only partial knowledge, but it never teaches error. No error, that's the claim, not all knowledge.

3. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

The offical website for the SDA says otherwise.

4. trying2understand

From sda.org under the area of beliefs:

"17. The Gift of Prophecy:
    One of the gifts of the Holy Spirit is prophecy. This gift is an identifying mark of the remnant church and was manifested in the ministry of Ellen. G. White . As the Lord's messenger, her writings are a continuing and authoritative source of truth which provide for the church comfort, guidance, instruction, and correction. They also make clear that the Bible is the standard by which all teaching and experience must be tested. (Joel 2:28, 29; Acts 2:14-21; Heb. 1:1-3; Rev. 12:17; 19:10.)"

From sda.org under the area of offical statements:

"As Seventh-day Adventists, we believe that "in His Word God has committed to men the knowledge necessary for salvation. The Holy Scriptures are to be accepted as an authoritative, infallible revelation of His will. They are the standard of character, the revealer of doctrines, and the test of experience" (The Great Controversy, p 7). We consider the biblical canon closed. However, we also believe, as did Ellen G White's contemporaries, that her writings carry divine authority, both for godly living and for doctrine. "

Bob, are there any other SDA beliefs that you can pick and choose to believe or not believe as you claim with the SDA beliefs about Ms. White?

5. Stephen III

Stephen III New Member

Is that not the biggest most loaded "However", I've ever seen!? :rolleyes:

6. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

To be honest, I don't think this has ever happened.
    I believe he has. But, don't you know more now then when you first got saved.? If this did happen, then I would ask him about this, maybe I'm wrong.
    Prayer, fasting, and studying are some that I know.

7. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

I have had pastors who speak authoritatively and only submit to the Word of God, and if you are a sample of your pastor's teaching, then we disagree on a lot. So now you can say it has happened. [​IMG] So which pastor is correct? And before you accuse any of my pastors of being infidels or heretics, they all honestly are God-fearing men, believing they speak authoritatively according to the Word of God.

In Christ,
    Neal

8. MikeS

MikeS New Member

To be honest, I don't think this has ever happened.</font>[/QUOTE]Do you realize what you are claiming? You are claiming that, you your knowledge, no two pastors anywhere, at any time, have interpreted any important (I'll throw that in for free) section of Scripture in contradiction to one another! Do you really stand by that?
    I believe he has. But, don't you know more now then when you first got saved.? If this did happen, then I would ask him about this, maybe I'm wrong.</font>[/QUOTE]But then he was either wrong in the past, or he is wrong now. In either case, how can he claim to preach with final authority?

9. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

He preaches from the final authority, the King James Bible. Therefore, if you use another book then you will always disagree.

10. Stephen III

Stephen III New Member

Seeing as the original King James Bible of 1611 "disagreed" with the current King James Bible versions over what should even be included within its covers (namely the deuterocanonicals), From an antiquity-type perspective How is your position supposed to be valid? Did it become a valid position when the revision was made? Or was the KJ bible always the "final authority" whether the canon was complete or not. And How do you know the canon of the KJ Bible is complete now?

11. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Seeing as the original King James Bible of 1611 "disagreed" with the current King James Bible versions over what should even be included within its covers (namely the deuterocanonicals), From an antiquity-type perspective How is your position supposed to be valid? Did it become a valid position when the revision was made? Or was the KJ bible always the "final authority" whether the canon was complete or not. And How do you know the canon of the KJ Bible is complete now? </font>[/QUOTE]If you're talking about the Apocrapha, then it never was considered scripture, just historical value. The Bible was completed when the book of Revelation was completed.

12. Stephen III

Stephen III New Member

And where might a reader of this "final authority" version of the bible have found that interesting fact? (That is: that the deuterocanonicals were included just for historical value).
    Especially seeing as the 1611 original referenced these deuterocanonical books at least 7 times throughout the rest of the bible. And the preface of the bible equates the Septuagint to the Word of God.

13. trying2understand

I keep hearing this arguement.

How do you know this to be true?

Did the original KJV 1611 include a disclaimer which said that certain books were not Scripture but only included because of historical value?

Or is this merely a recent fabrication to justify removing Books from the Bible?

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That's simply not true. The Gospel of John, as well as the Books of 1 John, 2 John, and 3 John, were written some two years after Revelation was penned.

The books of the NT were written in the following order:

Gospel of Matthew (Matthew) - c. 41
    1 Thess (Paul) - c. 50
    2 Thess (Paul) - c. 51
    Galatians (Paul) - c. 50-52
    1 Cor (Paul) - c. 55
    2 Cor (Paul) - c. 55
    Romans (Paul) - c. 56
    Gospel of Luke (Luke) - c. 56-58
    Ephesians (Paul) - c. 60-61
    Colossians (Paul) - c. 60-61
    Philemon (Paul) - c. 60-61
    Philippians (Paul) - c. 60-61
    Hebrews (Paul) - c. 61
    Acts (Luke) - c. 61
    James (James¹) - b. 62
    Gospel of Mark (Mark) - c. 60-65
    1 Timothy (Paul) - c. 61-64
    Titus (Paul) - c. 61-64
    1 Peter (Peter) - c. 62-64
    2 Peter (Peter) - c. 62-64
    2 Timothy (Paul) - c. 65
    Jude (Jude¹) - c. 65
    Revelation (John²) - c. 96
    Gospel of John (John²) - c. 98
    1 John (John²) - c. 98
    2 John (John²) - c. 98
    3 John (John²) - c. 98

¹ - probably Jesus' brother.
    ² - an Apostle of Jesus

15. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

Good try at trying to slip out of this one, but I have had pastors use the KJV and disagree with you. You can't possibly be asserting that if someone uses the KJV they will agree with everyone else who uses the KJV, can you? Proof that this is not the case is in the Bible Versions forum, so your assertion is false, if that is your assertion. Come on, I know you are not naive. You can't seriously be claiming that all KJV pastors agree on all major issues, can you? You are trying to simplfy the situation by your claims, because you know there needs to be some sort of authority, so you randomly appoint the KJV as that authority. But users of the KJV greatly differ on views. What exactly are you trying to claim.

In Christ,
    Neal

16. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

It's what the translators of the King James Bible did, they placed it inbetween the Old and New Testament in 1611. As far as I know they never considered it to be inspired scripture. Here may be a couple of reasons why.
    Basis for the doctrine of purgatory:
    2 Maccabees 12:43-45, 2.000 pieces of silver were sent to Jerusalem for a sin-offering...Whereupon he made reconciliation for the dead, that they might be delivered from sin.
    Salvation by works:
    Ecclesiasticus 3:30, Water will quench a flaming fire, and alms maketh atonement for sin.
    Tobit 12:8-9, 17, It is better to give alms than to lay up gold; for alms doth deliver from death, and shall purge away all sin.
    Magic:
    Tobit 6:5-8, If the Devil, or an evil spirit troubles anyone, they can be driven away by making a smoke of the heart, liver, and gall of a fish...and the Devil will smell it, and flee away, and never come again anymore.
    Mary was born sinless (immaculate conception):
    Wisdom 8:19-20, And I was a witty child and had received a good soul. And whereas I was more good, I came to a body undefiled.

1. It teaches immoral practices, such as lying, suicide, assasination and magical incantation.
    2. No apocryphal book is referred to in the New Testament whereas the Old Testament is referred to hundreds of times.
    3. Because of these and other reasons, the apocryphal books are only valuable as ancient documents illustrative of the manners, language, opinions and history of the East.

Referring to number 2 above, where are they refered to in the Bible.

17. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Good try at trying to slip out of this one, but I have had pastors use the KJV and disagree with you. You can't possibly be asserting that if someone uses the KJV they will agree with everyone else who uses the KJV, can you? Proof that this is not the case is in the Bible Versions forum, so your assertion is false, if that is your assertion. Come on, I know you are not naive. You can't seriously be claiming that all KJV pastors agree on all major issues, can you? You are trying to simplfy the situation by your claims, because you know there needs to be some sort of authority, so you randomly appoint the KJV as that authority. But users of the KJV greatly differ on views. What exactly are you trying to claim.

In Christ,
    Neal
    </font>[/QUOTE]On what issues are you talking about? BTW, some preachers may use the KJB, but not believe it to be the final authority.

18. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

KJVO for starters. And yes, these men I am referring to believe that the Word of God is their final authority, and they use the KJV. However, they don't teach KJVO.

In Christ,
    Neal

19. GraceSaves

GraceSaves New Member

This is one of the worst circular arguments EVER. They didn't include it as Scriptural...because these are "unScriptural beliefs." Well, DUH, if you take them out of Scripture, they become unScriptural! If I take the Gospel of John out of Scripture, what it teaches will also beceom "unScriptural." But guess what, when you leave them, they are "Scriptural." Amazing.

It's obvious you didn't do this research yourself, because the verse is 3:29.

8 Prayer and fasting are good, but better than either is almsgiving accompanied by righteousness. A little with righteousness is better than abundance with wickedness. It is better to give alms than to store up gold;

9 for almsgiving saves one from death and expiates every sin. Those who regularly give alms shall enjoy a full life;

10 but those habitually guilty of sin are their own worst enemies.

Heaven forbid you use context and all. Perhaps you should compare this with the teachings of Jesus Christ on the sermon of the mount, and unless you believe that Jesus was promoting salvation by works, perhaps you should admit that you don't have a clue to the context of what is being said here.

Yes, and Jesus performed magic when he used mud and spit to give a blind man sight. And also when a coin appeared in a fish's mouth. And also when a cloth that belonged to the apostles brought healing to those who touched it.

Methinks, again, you have jumped to conclusions. How shocking.

Amazing how you don't quote these...we should just trust you, right? Where are your references? I guess the NT supports suicide too, since Judas Iscariot hangs himself, right? How about the Pharoah's and his magicians?

The Septuigent was frequently quoted by Jesus Christ, and these Greek Scriptures contained the deutero-canonical books. Further, by no means are all books of the Old Testament quoted in the New, so that cannot be a valid basis for inclusion in the canon.

Talk about being indocrinated. What other reasons? You can't even demonstrate the validity of the reasons you gave! And why are they valuable as ancient documents of such things? Have you studied them? Or am I correct in assuming that this is solely based of the judgements of those who came before you who rejected these divinely inspired books?

20. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

KJVO for starters. And yes, these men I am referring to believe that the Word of God is their final authority, and they use the KJV. However, they don't teach KJVO.

In Christ,
    Neal
    </font>[/QUOTE]Many say they believe the word of God, but few declare which bible is. I however am declaring that the King James Bible is the only final authority.