1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What must one do to be saved?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Guido, Mar 20, 2022.

1. Guido

Guido Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is it not true, that so sufficient was the blood of Christ, it is able atone for all sin, enabling God to grant everlasting life to all who believe the gospel, for their sins being purged, and through the righteousness of Christ imputed to them, because all are sinners, and presently sin, none having gotten nor obtaining their own perfect righteousness, a trait which is distinctive of God, existing as three distinct persons -- the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost -- the Son having come a human being, brought into the world by a virgin, who died on a cross to atone for our sins, was buried, and rose from the dead, and ascended up again into Heaven?

If we agree on all these things, precisely what is the gospel?

#1 Guido, Mar 20, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
  2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Everything about Christ is 'the Gospel.' We have to keep in mind that we are saved by a Person, and not by a creed or confession.

What must we do? We must be born again, and being born is completely and utterly the work of another.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Guido

Guido Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How is one born again?

4. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AMEN!

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nicodemus, member of Sanhedrin so a notable Jew, didn't get this truth that GOD works invisibly within, at HIS discretion at will, like the wind. Jesus' example is about the best we get to help us understand how/why that saving work of the holy Spirit of God operates.

When I was born, what did I do to earn, want, seek, attain birth? Nuttin, honey (even my kids recognized that and joked). Conceived, implanted, gestated, and ultimately squeegeed out into the world. Salvation is rightly called the "second birth" because of the simple parallel. God worked a miracle in my heart of stone, regenerating my hateful, anti-god nature into a new nature. Then (and only then) was it possible for me to repent and believe the Gospel.

Of course, what "I" did was just the result of what God had done. Without that, I would not have been able (or willing) to repent and believe. But when I thought it was all of ME repenting/believing, I was as ignorant as Nick at Night in not understanding being "born again" by God FIRST.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Guido

Guido Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to Grace Evangelical Society, eternal life is obtained by believing in Christ for it, their teaching from the way they interpret the book of John.

8. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not understanding what difficulty there is? John 1:12-13. We believe in God's Christ and He gives us the new birth as He promised. John 3:16.

9. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ezekiel 18:32

"For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign Lord. Repent and live!"

Matthew 4:17

"From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.”

Mark 1:14-15

"Now after John was taken into custody, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the Good News of God’s Kingdom, and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and God’s Kingdom is at hand! Repent, and believe in the Good News.”

Luke 5:31-32

"Jesus answered them, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.”

Luke 13:3

"I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish."

Luke 24:47

"and that repentance for forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in His Name to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem"

Acts 2:37-38

"Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we DO? Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost"

Acts 3:19

"Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord"

Acts 5:31

"God exalted him to his own right hand as Prince and Savior that he might bring Israel to repentance and forgive their sins"

Acts 11:18

"When they heard this, they had no further objections and praised God, saying, “So then, even to Gentiles God has granted repentance that leads to life.”

Acts 26:20

"but declared first to those in Damascus and in Jerusalem, and throughout all the region of Judea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent, turn to God, and do works befitting repentance"

Romans 2:4

"Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, forbearance and patience, not realizing that God’s kindness is intended to lead you to repentance?"

2 Corinthians 7:10

"Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death"

NO sinner can EVER be savd and born-again, unless the REPENT and BELIEVE before they can get saved. This is what the Bible Teaches. ANY "salvation" that does not include BOTH BEFORE, is FALSE! What Paul calls, "another gospel"

#9 SavedByGrace, Mar 20, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
  10. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sbw shows us in his last paragraph that he believes humans cause God to save them by their own work of repentance of which God must then re-birth them.
    Everything, by sbw's teaching, is the responsibility of the human, which forces/causes God to save them.
    He ignores scripture that tells him that even when we were dead in our trespasses and sins, God made us alive by grace and saved us, giving us faith to believe and repent. (Ephesians 2:1-9)
    Sbw, is looking at salvation from a carnal man-centered mindset and refuses to see salvation from God's point of view.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I Corinthians 15:1-8

12. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    this does not mean that all the Bible passages in #9 are invalid!

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How is one born again. Physically we have been born once, and spiritually the lost have born once. The new birth is our spiritual birth. When we initially were created, God formed our human spirit within us, but as a consequence of Adam's sin, we were conceived spiritually dead, i.e. separated from God. When we are united with Christ we are spiritually born anew, this time spiritually alive. So the biblical answer to the question is when God places an individual into Christ spiritually, based on crediting their faith as righteousness.

This fundamental step is left out of many "gospel" tracks.

14. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    when God places an individual into Christ spiritually, based on crediting their faith as righteousness.

Sigh...
    The above runs contrary to scripture.
    Let's read scripture.

Ephesians 2:4-5
    But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved—

Notice what we don't see. Nowhere does it say "based on crediting their faith as righteousness."

It only says "even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved."

Now, Van, you seem to misunderstand salvation and thus only see justification. Justification comes after salvation, therefore the elect are placed into Christ before faith is even given to a Christians so that the faith God gives them might be their means of justification.

Now, I dare you to address the text and me directly rather than drift into third person response.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is true, we are saved by the grace of God, but what you do not address is why we are saved by the grace of God.

16. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read John 3 and 2 Corinthians 5. That is good advice Austin, but you should also trust what it says.

Joh 3:14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up,
    Joh 3:15 that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life.
    Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
    Joh 3:17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.
    Joh 3:18 "He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

2Co 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.
    2Co 5:18 Now all things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation,
    2Co 5:19 that is, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses to them, and has committed to us the word of reconciliation.
    2Co 5:20 Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us: we implore you on Christ's behalf, be reconciled to God.
    2Co 5:21 For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.

Eph 1:13 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise,

Notice that the person has to trust in Christ Jesus before God saves them.

17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now we get the bogus claim, for something to be taught as truth from scripture, it must be mentioned every time the topic is discussed. Sheer absurdity on display.

Now I ask you explain why 2 Thessalonians 2:13 says individuals are chosen for salvation through or by way of faith in the truth. Do you claim they are chosen by way of uncredited as righteousness faith? Nope - you claim there were not chosen through faith but were unconditionally chosen and their faith was instilled by irresistible grace. And that folks is found in not a single verse.

And as far as being made alive together with Christ, that describes a spiritually dead individual being place into Christ, thus now together with Christ, and being made alive, regenerated.

18. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, Van, I notice you don't even touch Ephesians 2:4-5. Why is that???

Second, let's look at 2 Thesalonians 2:11-15

Therefore God sends them a strong delusion, so that they may believe what is false, in order that all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness. But we ought always to give thanks to God for you, brothers beloved by the Lord, because God chose you as the firstfruits to be saved, through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth. To this he called you through our gospel, so that you may obtain the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. So then, brothers, stand firm and hold to the traditions that you were taught by us, either by our spoken word or by our letter.

Huh? God chose us to be saved. He set us apart by the Holy Spirit and belief (faith) in the truth. Van, this verse shows you are wrong. It confirms Ephesians 2:4-5, which tells us...But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved—

God saved us by grace alone, while we were still dead, as firstfruits. He set us apart by the Holy Spirit and by faith in Christ.

Where did that faith come from? It came as a gift from God.
    Ephesians 2:8-9 provides this truth.
    For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Van, you have a false doctrine. It's glaring at you and many people have pointed it out, time and again. You will not agree with any of us. You just keep pushing your false doctrine. It's stuck in your head like a spike that has lodged itself in the brain of an accident victim. Since scripture doesn't seem to be enough for you, I leave you to your false doctrine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, that is a gracious attitude toward a fellow Christian who is intentionally suppressing the truth. Not in "unrighteousness" as unregenerate to do truth (Rom 1), but more of a hard-headedness and not a hard-heartedness. :) :)
    Best to walk away from discussions with one who is set on their course, and follow Mr. T's advice.

• Like Like x 1
  20. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed. I generally respond against the false doctrine with the hopes that other readers might clearly recognize the error. The error can be subtle and disguised in truth, so to ferret out that bad apple means one has to dig through the statement and expose it for what it is.

• Agree Agree x 1