1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

what? no one home schools???

Discussion in 'Homeschooling Forum' started by TLB, Apr 6, 2007.

1. ramashka

ramashka New Member

bump

Gotta get this thread moving! :type:

2. TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker New Member

OK, what shall we talk about?

3. ABCJim

ABCJim New Member

We've two boys we're homeschooling (6 & 11). PA laws are pretty rigid:BangHead: but we're gettin' it done.

4. ramashka

ramashka New Member

Welcome, ABCJim!

5. ramashka

ramashka New Member

Why did you decide to homeschool?

We were already thinking of homeschooling when our kids were toddlers, and since we are missionaries, it is a bit easier for us to homeschool.

6. herjeep

herjeep New Member

What made you decide to homeschool? I have recently been very dissapointed in my c hilds schooling. My issue is that prayers are taken out of schools because we may be infringing on someones "rights". What about my rights. Mine are being infringed. I was amazed when my Kindergartener came home and told me about "lockdown" and what they should do. What! It has become a sad day when we teach our kids this instead of about a loving God.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Back before my kids were school age, the only homeschoolers I knew were militant nuts. LOL - They were militant homeschoolers, militant vegetarians, militant Catholics - basically crazy (seriously). So that was our only exposure for a while and turned us off from homeschooling. When my first daughter was in kindergarten, we had a few issues with the school - nothing huge but began to put questions in my mind. When she was in 1st grade and diagnosed with ADD, then it began to make sense to homeschool her. By this time, I knew some normal people who homeschooled and that helped ME change my mind a lot - but DH still didnt' feel it was the right thing. So I prayed. I prayed for God to change DH's heart - and He did. So for 2nd grade, Lauren was homeschooled while my second daughter went to the public school for Kindergarten (it was 1/2 day and it helped me to get acclimated to homeschool). The year went so well with Lauren, and Nicole became such a snot (like Lauren had become when SHE was in school), that there was no question - Nicole came home for 1st grade. I continued homeschooling them but by the time 7th and 8th grades rolled around, Lauren's ADD was keeping her attention off of her school work and driving me so crazy that I was constantly angry with her. I felt that if she went to school, she'd have some outside accountability and maybe that would help. So for 9th grade, the first year of high school around here, she went back. It was a little bit of a struggle in the first months but her teachers were wonderful and she began to do really well - and discovered a great talent in art (our high school has one of the top art programs in the country). Nicole continued through 8th grade and we prayed about her - and decided to send HER back too - because she was just SO good at what she does and she was getting really prideful. Now in 9th grade at the high school, she's doing great (her grade average is 98) but she's seen things that she's had to struggle with and that she's not the best at everything, which has been great. She's realizing that she's NOT the greatest at everything and I see a humbler and gentler side of her now. So, the girls are in 9th and 11th grades at the public high school and God has blessed all of our educational choices that He led us to (if He had said "No" to public school, we would have kept them home).

Now I have my 2 little ones. Joanna is 4 and in our church's preschool, where all of the kids went - and Robby is 6 and is in his second year of homeschooling - doing 1st grade work. There's no question in my mind that they're home through atleast 8th grade unless God tells us otherwise. We'll pray about high school when the time comes.

What an utter blessing homeschooling has been for us. Time and time again, I've seen the kind of girls my girls are compared to so many in their school and it makes me so glad that we had that time to feed into their lives in their formative years. I'm so glad that we had this choice - and the drive to do it. It's not always easy but I say that it's been a lot of fun.

8. Blammo

Blammo New Member

Just found out my eleven year old neice was shown, not only the female "sex ed" film, but also the male version. My Mother is raising my neice and was not very enthusiastic about all the questions these films inspired. After hearing a description of one small part of the male film, if I was not already homeschooling, I would begin tomorrow.

9. TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker New Member

There was not one big reason why we pulled our son out of public school. There just seemed to be one event after another. The first event started in kindergarten when his teacher (fresh out of college) suggested that he repeat kindergarten to gain better social skills. She requested this because he didn't like to quit the task he was on and move on to new tasks without any warning. (Funny, he is still that way today) Anyway, we refused. We explained that because of where his birthday falls and school quidelines on when a child can start school, it already makes him older then most of the kids in his grade. Holding him back would give him a stigma that would follow him throughout the rest of his education. Not to mention he wouldn't be able to graduate until he was well into his 19th year. UGH!
    We moved and had no troubles until 2nd grade. The trouble wasn't the schools doing. There had been school shootings that year and I couldn't stand that fact that my "baby" was a "sitting duck". We pulled him out and homeschooled him the rest of his 2nd grade. Totally unprepared.
    So we put him back in for third grade. His third grade teacher was awful. She told us that our son had ADD and that we needed to get him medicated. He wasn't participating in class. I went to his classroom. My son showed me where his desk was. He was sitting in the front row. Good thing right. No. He was sitting directly in front of a cabinet, blocked from seeing the chalkboard. This teacher did a lot of work on the chalkboard. I was irritated, but we did not take him out of school. Shortly after this incident we discovered that our son needed glasses. (Not ritalin) UGH again!
    Next came 4th grade. My husband and I are both extremely irritated with public schools by this time. However, my mother-in-law and sister-in-law are both public school teachers and with their encouragement we kept our son in school. I took a position in the public school system teaching 4th graders reading skills. I got to see first hand what was happening in our school systems. I was appalled at the way some (not all) teachers were treating their students. Some teachers really do care and are trying their best with the resources they are given. Others are just there for the paycheck, waiting for their retirement. I won't even go into what the politically correct history books are teaching the kids these days. Anyway, I was getting an eye full at work and in the mean time. My son was a 4th grade student with a teacher who decided that Engish class was a time for her to read Harry Potter to her students. Ok this is wrong on so many levels. First of all, that is a very controversial book. Why choose that one. Second, why is she reading to 4th graders. They need to be reading for themselves at this age. Consequently, we are not fond of the Harry Potter books. So that was finally the last straw.

Our son has been homeschooled every since. He is not on Ritalin, falling behind, or any of the other accusations that teachers were trying to label him with. He is in fact going to be able to graduate highschool a year early with very good grades. We are now in the process of discussing college options with him.

I thank God for opening our eyes. I know that my sons future would be much bleaker if we would have stayed on the other path.

10. herjeep

herjeep New Member

thanks for the info. I won't be very happy if a movie is shown to my 11 year old. He is just about to turn 11. That is a discussion for he and his dad to have. I had a meeting with 3 of my son's teachers. I know the teachers do care about his schooling but! They basically implied that my son is both ADD and Gifted. Therefore, he is a "savant" (using their words.) Well, if the state says he is one point shy of being gifted therefore, not qualifying for gifted classes, and the school says he should be considered gifted, then where does that leave him-it leaves him slipping between the cracks. I just want my kids (like most loving moms) to have a fair chance at an education that is not so worldly and monetary. An education about God and family, not harry potter and athiests.

11. ramashka

ramashka New Member

When I hear what my niece and nephews have to put up with in school, whether it is the other kids or what the school is teaching them, I'm SOOOO glad we homeschool!

My niece and nephews are in 6th and 8th grades. The "social studies" class my niece is in is something else. It is written at the college freshmen level, and it is mostly about social philosophy of the US, not learning anything about our government, other countries, or any history whatsoever!