1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What percentage would you accept to be called to a church?

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by JJ2019, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wear lots of hats - Christian, father, brother, friend, church worker, neighbor... ;)

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    GI???

3. Lambrini

Lambrini New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    JJ2019 wrote:

>> A pastor search committee has asked me to come preach in view of a call. I plan to tell them yes, but I also plan to tell them that I must get at least a 95% vote from the congregation.

JJ2019, this is a gesture that makes you look humble. Go ahead, request that the percentage be upped to 95%. And may you have the job offered to you by Christmas!

4. John I Morris

John I Morris Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that you area very wise to set a high percent in order to accept the call. I would not share my percent ahead of time with the committee. But men who go with a 70% vote, have 30% who don't want them there. I have always set a high percent, one time I needed a 100% vote and got it. Pray, pray, pray!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi JJ2019, thanks for your question.

First, if you feel led to require 95%, that is between you and the LORD.

I think many prospective Pastors receive the exact tally, and pray as to whether that indicates the Spirit's call to them for the church.

On a different issue, based on experience as a member of a search committee, you should get your working arrangement understood. Do you work for and report to the board and the board to the members, or do you report only to the members and you are the chairperson of the board.

I ask because of your phrase "leadership of a new pastor." Are they under the leadership of the board, or under your sense of God's leadership? Many differing relationships function to effectively carry out Christ's ministry, but in my opinion, everyone should sign on to the intended relationship going in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. John I Morris

John I Morris Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you mean that anything "less" would be gray? Rather than anything "more?" The higher the percent the better the unity, I would think.

7. alexander284

alexander284 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can certainly relate to that, because I have a big head, too!

I like to wear baseball caps, but I have to have fitted hats, in a size 8.

And by the way, that's the largest size available to purchase at a specialty shop, or to order online.

8. JJ2019

JJ2019 New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Update:

Thank you for your responses. I did share with the chairperson of the pastor search committee that I was looking to get 95% or more of the vote. This information will not be shared with the church prior to the vote. He said that he understood and agreed with my reasoning.

I understand that there may be a few people who vote "no" for spurious reasons. I've heard the stories about teenagers voting no in an attempt to be funny, certain members who vote no just to keep the candidate "humble," etc. But if more than a dozen or so people in a relatively small to moderate size church vote no, then it starts to look like a movement. Even if it is a minority movement, if the ones voting no are influential members of the church (and there's no way to know who they are at the time of the vote) then it could seriously undermine the unity of the church and the effectiveness of the pastor going forward.

This is a judgment call, I believe. Although I do believe that God has called me and the search committee to this point, I see the overwhelming affirmation of the church as an important confirmation that this is God's will. I can also understand why a pastor in another situation might already feel strongly that he is called to the church, in spite of some opposition. We'll see what happens.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have to do what the Lord leads and trust Him with the results.

Let us know. Praying for you.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Keith Mullins

Keith Mullins Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the Holy Spirit was leading me to that Church the percentage wouldn't matter to me. If Holy Spirit wasn't, I wouldn't consider it.

11. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I honestly would not care about the percentage. I would already know if God was calling me to that place or not. If I were to be accepted, by any percent, it would confirm that calling. If it was a low percent, I know I have work cut out for me at that church with solid biblical preaching and let the Spirit do the rest.

• Agree Agree x 1