1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Preachers Won't Preach About

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by stilllearning, Aug 10, 2011.

1. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because it is against the law in America... Really.

Only as it applies to tax-status.

2. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Yes, as in, IF a pastor supports a political candidate from the pulpit, the church looses its tax exempt status and becomes a regular business, subject to all the laws and regulations that all businesses are subject to, including EEO, etc.

So, though you may be correct in the technical sense, the result is the same. The church looses its status AS A CHURCH in the eyes of the law. In other words, it is illegal because the punishment is detrimental to the church continuing to exist as a church.

3. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Double check that law brother.

4. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

It's not against the law for a PREACHER to endorse a candidate, regardless of tax status.

5. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

A church can continue as a church after they lose tax-exempt status. I'm not sure but I think an unincorporated church is free to endorse candidates and remain tax exempt. So if I've got it right, it's only incorporated churches that are at risk.

6. Batt4Christ

Batt4Christ Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course - in this "survey" and even the thread, we see one of the many reasons "topical" preaching is so dangerous -

How about if we preachers just preach what the Lord lays on our hearts to preach - using exegetical preaching or the Word - not coming up with some brilliant "topic" to then try to patchwork some scripture to fill in our scheme....

If we did this - then all of those subjects, as well as all the other "hard stuff" would be covered.

7. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Exactly. Preach the word, and forget the topical, shallow sermons preached for an obligatory "amen."

...or, in order to pat ourselves on the back, because, you know, we just preached a message that "others" don't preach, and we can compare ourselves with "them" and come out on top in our own little world.

This attitude reminds me of this passage:

For we are not bold to class or compare ourselves with some of those who commend themselves; but when they measure themselves by themselves and compare themselves with themselves, they are without understanding. 2 Corinthians 10:12

8. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Expository preaching is best however there is a place for topical preaching and it's shallow only if the preacher is shallow or thinks he must make a shallow presentation because he perceives his audience to be shallow.

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Why should believers not have prayed for President Bush, not honoured him, and spoken evil of him? I thought these Bible principles apply to all human leaders.

10. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

11. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

...of course the shallowness is purely subjective, which I realize.

12. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A preacher can endorse a candidate. But to do it from the pulpit or act as if his endorsement is the endorsement of the church or God demeans the both the church and God. In church, I am just 1 vote of the church.

If someone asks outside of church what my political persuasion is or who I am voting for, I tell them what I think.

13. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Batt4Christ posted..

I agree.

The messages that bless me the most are the ones where the preacher had nothing planned out at all. He just starts praising God, and God gives him the message on the spot.

The most dreaded thing for me to hear is when the preacher says...

:BangHead: :tonofbricks:

Please preachers, save those for your mid week bible study.

14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Good post! Congrats!

15. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So God can't lead me to prepare a series of messages? God can't bless you through a prepared message?

16. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

sounds like he enjoys word of faith/pentacostal type of preaching!

No study preparation, no prayers, just 'give out; as the "Holy Ghost" moves you!

17. Alive in Christ

Sure He can, as I made very clear in my post, when I said this...

There is a time and place for everything, and everyone has thier own likes and preferances. I am simply articulating mine.

18. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Well, I agree that preachers have to be careful about politics, even outside of the pulput, due to the internal conflict it can create, as you say. I'm just trying to bring out the fact that it doesn't break any laws, and by the way it is not prohibited in the Bible, and in fact I think it is practiced in some places in the Bible.

And I will offer this supporting argument:

1. The Bible says we are to care for the poor.
    2. The Bible says that stealing is a sin.

Given that:
    Party A endorses caring for the poor by stealing from "the rich" (they define "the rich" as anyone earning one penny more than subsistence wages).
    Party B endorses caring for the poor by increasing job opportunities, and is against stealing from the rich to do it.

Why should not a church or preacher endorse Party B?

19. mandym

mandym New Member

sounds like an unprepared preacher to me. Another phrase for this is "shotgun preaching". They are just shooting a scattergun from the hip.

20. Alive in Christ

Jesus fan...

Bzzz. Fail #1.

Bzzz. Fail #2.

JF, it is in fact very common for
    Baptist
    preachers to have an improvisational preaching style, while reserving in depth bible study for other times.

I am somewhat surprised to find a baptist who has never encountered that.

You have learned something new today! :wavey:

God bless.