1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What songs can a Calvinist teach to their children?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by dianetavegia, Aug 1, 2005.

1. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Thank you, Bro. Dallas.

Your answer were thoughtful and delivered in a very Christian manner. I appreciate the time you took in responding. You are the first and only Calvinist who has ever offered a valid answer.

God bless you.

2. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

What's crazy, J? Was Pink wrong when he said regarding the souls in Hell that "[God] never loved them"? If a kid isn't elect, God doesn't love him (according to the doctrines of grace). Christ didn't die for him. That's just plain old Reformed theology, and it applies to little sinners just as much as to big ones.

I heard R. C. Sproul asked in a public lecture on election whether or not we could tell a sinner that God loves him. His ultimate answer was negative. Sproul oughta know.

Everything I've ever read from the Reformed camp says the same thing. Those little squirts are singing bad, bad theology when they say that the Bible tells them that Jesus loves them. No one can know whether or not Jesus loves them. According to the doctrines of grace, he hates most of them and created them as vessels of destruction so that they might be damned forever to the greater glory of God.

Jesus doesn't love reprobate children; Dianetavegia is right.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Well no it is not just plain ol Reformed theology. The fact is calvin teaches God came to save the WORLD. It seems you left this part out. Calvin teaches ALL can come to him..and be saved. Again..you left out.

the order as i have posted before...pipedude for you to view

1)God is
    2)God makes man
    3)Man falls into sin
    4)God gives a promise of redemption
    5)Christ comes
    6)God invites all to be saved
    7)Man believes and is saved

both of us will agree to this.... this is the gospel..right?

now add this..”no one seeks after God”

this is left out by many..yet it is found in the Bible

So where do you place this Bible truth? I place it between 6 and 7.

but then how do we get to 7?

Welcome to election

You see Reformed theology does teach Gods love. right? and...the "standing offer", as bob calls it...is still in place. So God loves the World..yet the world will not come. So God can choose if He wants...for he is God.

And why does he choose?
    Lets try this word... LOVE

In Christ...James

3. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

see below..i hit the wrong thingy

4. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What's crazy, J? Was Pink wrong when he said regarding the souls in Hell that "[God] never loved them"? If a kid isn't elect, God doesn't love him (according to the doctrines of grace). Christ didn't die for him. That's just plain old Reformed theology, and it applies to little sinners just as much as to big ones.

I heard R. C. Sproul asked in a public lecture on election whether or not we could tell a sinner that God loves him. His ultimate answer was negative. Sproul oughta know.

Everything I've ever read from the Reformed camp says the same thing. Those little squirts are singing bad, bad theology when they say that the Bible tells them that Jesus loves them. No one can know whether or not Jesus loves them. According to the doctrines of grace, he hates most of them and created them as vessels of destruction so that they might be damned forever to the greater glory of God.

Jesus doesn't love reprobate children; Dianetavegia is right.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Well no it is not just plain ol Reformed theology. The fact is calvin teaches God came to save the WORLD. It seems you left this part out. Calvin teaches ALL can come to him..and be saved. Again..you left out.

the order as i have posted before...pipedude for you to view

1)God is
    2)God makes man
    3)Man falls into sin
    4)God gives a promise of redemption
    5)Christ comes
    6)God invites all to be saved
    7)Man believes and is saved

both of us will agree to this.... this is the gospel..right?

now add this..”no one seeks after God”

this is left out by many..yet it is found in the Bible

So where do you place this Bible truth? I place it between 6 and 7.

but then how do we get to 7?

Welcome to election

You see Reformed theology does teach Gods love. right? and...the "standing offer", as bob calls it...is still in place. So God loves the World..yet the world will not come. So God can choose if He wants...for he is God.

And why does he choose?
    Lets try this word... LOVE

In Christ...James
    </font>[/QUOTE]"noone seeks after God" could be placed at 3b, 4b, 5b or 6b.

How do we get to 7? Nowhere does the Bible mention election, but the drawing from the Holy Spirit to ALL men resulting in our faith and ultimately our election (that salvation was intended for gentile as well as jew since before the world began).

6. Monergist

Monergist New Member

The TRINITY HYMNAL has long been the one most commonly used by Reformed Presbyterians. For a listing of songs it contains CLICK HERE&gt;

If Presbyterians do not sing some songs that you commonly sing, why should that bother you? Does your song-list somehow set the standard for what everyone else should sing? The only song list that I'm aware of that is divinely inspired is the Book of Psalms. Does your choir regularly sing all of those? I doubt it. My calvinist church includes the singing of psalms in every service, but I'm not on here trashing others for not doing it.

7. Monergist

Monergist New Member

Some songs that this Calvinist has taught his 4 year old to know by heart:

Great is Thy Faithfulness
    It is Well With My Soul
    Amazing Grace
    O the Deep Deep Love of Jesus
    And Can it Be
    A Mighty Fortess is our God
    My Jesus I Love Thee
    Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing
    Holy Holy Holy
    All Hail the Power of Jesus Name
    My Hope is Built on Nothing Less
    Psalm 23
    Psalm 98
    Psalm 100
    Psalm 150

And her favorite... Crown Him With Many Crowns.

And Yes, she knows Jesus Loves Me, too.

8. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

"noone seeks after God" could be placed at 3b, 4b, 5b or 6b.

How do we get to 7? Nowhere does the Bible mention election, but the drawing from the Holy Spirit to ALL men resulting in our faith and ultimately our election (that salvation was intended for gentile as well as jew since before the world began).
    [/QUOTE]

Yes you are so right webdog. But john 1 makes it last till after 6. For Christ comes..and the world does not understand..even after he comes.

as to election..election only means Choosen by God. We must place on this..a meaning. Some say it is the Church body..and not one person. yet the Bible says it is the church..a nation..a person. It takes on the meaning of the context. Still..what does it mean to be choosen by God? not who...but what does choosen mean? I think is means..God elected to share his love with me.

so..anyway..back to what you said above. how does this come about?

Romans 10
    13 For, "every one who calls upon the name of the Lord will be saved." 14 But how are men to call upon him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without a preacher? 15 And how can men preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who preach good news!" 16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel; for Isaiah says, "Lord, who has believed what he has heard from us?" 17 So faith comes from what is heard, and what is heard comes by the preaching of Christ. 18 But I ask, have they not heard? Indeed they have; for "Their voice has gone out to all the earth, and their words to the ends of the world." 19 Again I ask, did Israel not understand? First Moses says, "I will make you jealous of those who are not a nation; with a foolish nation I will make you angry." 20 Then Isaiah is so bold as to say, "I have been found by those who did not seek me; I have shown myself to those who did not ask for me." 21 But of Israel he says, "All day long I have held out my hands to a disobedient and contrary people."

so...the preacher must go..for man will not seek...
    the preacher must tell...
    the sinner must hear....
    the sinner must understand....
    the sinner has faith....
    salvation

if you wounder where i get the understand part...look down in 19. The jews were Gods Choosen nation. Did all jews understand and have faith? no. understanding must come before faith.

so my list stands as before...and yes God elects to share his love.

notice also...in 20
    Isaiah was found along with those that did not seek God.

also..21
    The offer is out all day long......yet men are disobedient and contrary people

In Christ...james

9. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Bro. Dallas,

That was a great answer you gave to TexasSky's question on evangelism, and it is the answer that most Calvinists would give, if they had the godly patience you displayed. Many times, I think we feel the question is being asked to not look for any real answers, but to attack a strawman. (Not saying this was TexasSky's intent, though.)

10. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Monergist, It didn't BOTHER me. It was something I had never thought of! The Pres. brother was quite funny in his replies, teasing back... and since I'm not in the choir (and all the church people shout out PTL), I only heard snippets of the 'fun making' and good hearted replies.

Crown Him with Many Crowns is another of my favorites but no one ever sings my favorite verse!

I like Victory in Jesus!
    Jesus calls us over the tumult
    There is a fountain filled with blood
    My hope is built on nothing less

11. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

And Can It Be is an excellent song. We sang it Sunday night here. But this verse is theologically incorrect. Jesus didn't empty himself of "all but love." He still retained his deity. What he did was voluntarily limit the use of his divine attributes. We sing it "Emptied himself and came in love."

12. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Pastor Larry, is your hymnal printed that way or do you just change it as a group?

I've said many times that I heard a report back in maybe 1996 off the Toccoa Falls College Radio Station that 85% of what people say they know about God was learned through hymns. BECAUSE of that, I've gone out of my way to teach my little church children songs of Jesus' love, plus some 'Rock'a My Soul in the Bossom of Abraham'. It breaks my heart that church children, 5 years old, have never had mommy and daddy sing songs to them!

Psalms 57:7 My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and give praise. 8 Awake, my glory! Awake, lute and harp! I will awaken the dawn. 9 I will praise You, O Lord, among the peoples; I will sing to You among the nations. 10 For Your mercy reaches unto the heavens, And Your truth unto the clouds. 11 Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; Let Your glory be above all the earth.

13. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

And Can It Be is an excellent song. We sang it Sunday night here. But this verse is theologically incorrect. Jesus didn't empty himself of "all but love." He still retained his deity. What he did was voluntarily limit the use of his divine attributes. We sing it "Emptied himself and came in love." </font>[/QUOTE]I change it to "gave He, Himself, in His great love.

14. OCC

OCC Guest

Jarthur, she was no more hateful than some of the Calvinists on here who get away with their hate. 'nuff said.

David, I'm glad you pointed out yourself that that is a poor generalization. [​IMG]

If Diane's song is offensive then so is Pipedude's. Actually I think neither is offensive. Both are written from their points of view.

15. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

As an 11 year old, in 1962, my favorite song was an old southern gospel song 'Just a Little Cabin in Glory'. I had it on a 45rpm. The 'flip side' was the 'hit' song but I wore out needles until I wore out the 45. I've had people link me to what they thought was the song but none have been it.

Certainly that song was NOT scriptural because none of the saints will have just a little cabin in glory but the thought behind the song was, I just want to be with Jesus!

[​IMG]

16. rc

rc New Member

Jesus will judge the little sinners
    All the little sinners of the world
    Yellow, red, black or white,
    they're an abomination in His sight,
    Jesus judges little sinners of the world!

(edited spelling for rc only)

[ August 02, 2005, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: dianetavegia ]

17. Monergist

Monergist New Member

18. rc

rc New Member

can't edit their for they're... to late...

don't get your undies in a bunch, I was just joking.... [​IMG]

19. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Mark 10:14 But when Jesus saw it, He was greatly displeased and said to them, "Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of God.

20. rc

rc New Member

Their feet shall slip in due time....

Jonathan Edwards.

The problem is when you teach kids "children's" songs you nurture their theology to form to these understandings.... I would rather (and have) taught my children the great hymns right from the get go. Holy, Holy, Holy, ... Be thou My Vision... so they have a "God centered" praise and not a man centered praise.