1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What took place at the cross?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by 2BHizown, Nov 5, 2005.

1. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

Bob, that Matt 7 verse is declaring the importance of living for Christ, in a pure, holy manner, untarnished by the world. We can clearly see that living for Christ in todays world is a little like walking the edge of a razor blade, trying to remain pure in a decadent society! We must strive to remain in that pure, holy, narrow channel, free of contamination! We must follow Rom 12:1,2.
    Matt 7 actually refers to both the narrow and wide gaits as being gaits assumed to the kingdom. The narrow gait is by faith, the wide gait includes all the false religions of works and self-righteousness. That true way is very narrow and few there are that find it v14. Christ told us the way is a difficult way, not just walking an aisle, signing a card, saying a "sinners prayer" but a life changing salvation that reflects God's true work in a life for Him.

Those people in v21 that He addressed: "Not everyone who says, Lord, Lord, shall enter the kingdom" Some of them claimed they did many works for the Lord and even did them in HIs name but He told them He NEVER knew them; not just that He DIDNT know them, but had never known them, as they were not His own, no realationship had ever existed! All those who were stiving but not entering via the narrow way were doing so by their own ideas, efforts and man made doctrines, not by a life well lived for Christ alone! In those verses Christ clearly shows that we must first count the cost as the christian life is not an easy one. The thief on the cross will receive the same benefits as all of God's own because his heart was real, placing all of his God given faith in His Lord!

Two groups of people will be present at the judgment! God will read hearts and separate those who took the narrow way from those who took the wide, sheep from goats! Many are called, few are chosen! Why, bacause so many are singing, "I did it my way!"

2. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

What hymnal are you using?

You must go to the "Contemporary Service" at your church rather than the traditional service of Divine worship.

What is the chorus to the hymn "I did it my way!?"

Ultimately, we all do it our way either to believe and have life eternal or to nothing and receive the fearful judgment of the Lord at the Great White Throne Judgment [Revelation 20:11].

3. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

ROFL, Didnt realize you had such a sense of humor Ray! Either that or you are very, very young not to remember Frank Sinatra's rendition of that song! Old favorite of mine when I was still Armenian!! lol

4. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

Ray, BTW At the churchI attend we only do traditionally, scripturally biblically, never contemorary, making no effort to please man's desires but God's! No contemporary services, at all!!Doesnt compute with scripture! Those contemporary services are the man pleasing type, focused on the desires of the congregants, not a holy God we worship in spirit and truth!!No mega church, no seeker sensitive, no purpose driven, no 'best life now'! Just sound scripture exegesis!
    Blessings,

5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Since our Calvinist brethren continue to dodge and derail the points raised so far -- perhaps a reminder of the outstanding argument still waiting for some kind of cogent response --

By not actually quoting anything in my post above - you are sidestepping the point I am making and simply pointing to parts of Daniel 7 that you will accept.

That is not a compelling form of response-to-the-point.

The point was the fact that this post cross work is included in the full scope of "Atonement" and that limiting Atonement to "just the cross" hacks Lev 16's teaching in Atonement into a small segment ending with vs 8-9.

I am pointing to the TWO roles of Christ in Atonement (as seen in LEv 16). He is both the LABM and the High Priest. His role of High Priest INCLUDES the INDIVIDUAL work of Christ as seen in Daniel 7 with specific judgment "passed in favor of the saints" once the books are opened and the records reviewed.

That INDIVIDUAL aspect when INCLUDED IN ATONEMENT solves the problem of limited atonement.

True enough - but that simply ignores the point raised from Lev 16 and Daniel 7 about the fact of Atonement including BOTH The UNLIMITED aspect of the CRoss and the INDIVIDUAL aspect of the work of Christ AFTER the cross!

(not to keep repeating a point that you are sidestepping or anything - but I am still waiting for the direct response to the point).

</font>[/QUOTE]

6. King James Bond

King James Bond New Member

Bob,

Consider the lillies of the field.

Keep considering.

Thanks

KJB

7. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

Bob, I am fully aware that Christ was both the high priest and the sacrifice! That he died for every single person's sins I do not agree! I'm not sure which question specifically you'd like an answer to but this I know, that Christ died for His own! Remember I lay no claim to being a great theologian, just a little mud ball that knows God and that His Son came to die for those that were given to HIm by His Father. He said so Himself and that works for me!
    Regarding the 1John 2:2 verse that seems to trouble you I will offer a quote from Pink:
    " Let others rest on the sands of human speculation and twenttieth-century theorising if they wish. That is their business. But to God they will yet have to render an account. For our part we had rather be railed at as a narrow-minded, out-of-date, hyper-Calvinist, than be found repudiating God's truth by reducing the Divinely-efficaious atonement to a mere fiction."
    God will not allow one drop of Christs blood to be wasted on someone who rejects HIm, that I know! Christ died for His own! Count on it!
    Your verse in question refers to not only Jews but also to the Gentiles. If Christ is the propitiation for those who are lost as much as for the saved, then believers would have no assurance. Did Christ actually die for those who right now are in hell? I dont think so as that would render His most valuable and holy blood a waste! Just didnt happen that way Bob! Believe it! Faith!!

8. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Preach it some more.

I am persuaded these things go back before the foundation of the world, when The Lamb of God was slain, and the names were put in the Book of Life with indelible ink. Jesus fullfilled this on the tree: "It is finished".

J. Chauvin, who seems to have birthed Calvinism, may have seen some of these doctrines in the Scripture. He was certainly not the originator. There were many groups in Calvin's day who believed in Sovereign Grace, Election, and Predestination--they were never a part of the Protestant Reformation.

Thank God, He has preserved a remnant.

Selah,

Bro. James

9. King James Bond

King James Bond New Member

2BHizown,

Great points.

KJB

10. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

James

IMHO - This is Mormon theology:

Christ lived, died, was buried, and rose again about 2000 years ago.

11. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

Christ lived, died, was buried, and rose again about 2000 years ago. </font>[/QUOTE]I'm not so familiar with what Mormons believe! God's Holy Word is our source for faith, doctrine and life! He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world back in eternity past and put our names the Lamb's book of life! All of our lives were destined at that time according to God's decree! We have a choice as to how we will live, whether for HIm or not. Thats the only two options. We who choose to place our faith in Him who called us from spiritual death are of His elect, His very own and were chosen before time began!
    Read Ephesians and also Psalms 139 for a fuller understanding of our sovereign God's plan for us!
    Blessings to you,