1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What version would Jesus read?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Salty, Dec 14, 2015.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, He's the Author of The Book, and during His Incarnation He and His apostles often quoted from the contemporary translation of the day which was the Septuagint.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It enhances my understanding when I read out of a version that the preacher is not using. I have done that for as long as I remember and has always been a help and not a hindrance.

Most here know that the NIV is my favorite Bible translation. Well, even if I was blessed to have a pastor reading from that --I would still want to be reading another translation. It would aid me in understaning. So I'd bring in an NLT or something else.

• Like Like x 2
  3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, if we were expecting everyone to read the passage out loud, I'd put it on the screen. I wouldn't expect everyone to read out of their own Bibles.

4. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

That would be 'operator error.'

5. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's not plain English and it doesn't answer my questions. What do you mean by a "disconnect"? Once again, here is what I wrote:

So in your view, are the "credentials" (as you put it--interesting choice of words) of Jesus watered down simply because a version is modern? Or is there some other reason?

In other words, is modern English somehow less capable of portraying the nature of Christ than 15th-17th century English? If so, in what way? If not, what do you mean?

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that can be a confusing situation - (you know, like everyone speaking in tongues)

Simple answer - just use the responsive reading in your hymn books - oh wait, many churches no longer have the hymn books. - oh well

Anyways, when I preach, I normally don't have responsive reading

7. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your observation reinforces my observation: if everyone is on the same sheet of music, there is harmony.

I am not a physicist. Every mechanical vibration out of harmony shows up as noise at the eardrum.

My brain cannot decipher the goobeldegook--kind of like sounding cymbals and tinkling brass.

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A disconnect is when the mind gets stuck on an unfamiliar word or idiom. Attention, comprehension and understanding are encumbered with the mental thesaurus and dictionary activities, trying to figure what a certain word might mean, while the speaker moves on to more confusion--kind of like a Pentecostal unknown tongues event--gibberish and gobbledegook.

Modern English capability is not the question; it is more at the motives of the translators. See the biographies of Westcott and Hort. Also, the charge King James gave to his translators is an interesting read. Another: words transliterated which have facilitated confusion. i.e. baptism, angel. Ecclesia/church/congregation is also an interesting study.

Credentials: yes, why one should believe that Jesus is The Christ, The Son of the Living God.

The Jews as a nation rejected Him in spite of Jesus having shown all the credentials. The Sanhedrin convicted Him of blasphemy: "He makes Himself to be
    God."

Bro. James

Bro. James

8. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Everyone is on the same page, reading from the ESV in harmony from the text on the overhead screens. Speak for yourself, but I have no problem reading a verse in one translation and then re-reading it in another.

9. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    One more time: the hypothetical situation is the preacher reading and speaking ESV while the audience is hearing ESV and reading KJV from their bibles. This is confusing--been there, done that.

Bro. James

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It's actually really not confusing at all.

11. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One more time: Speak for yourself, but I have no problem reading a verse in one translation and then re-reading it in another.

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AMEN. And those that can read the original languages well enough may not follow along in an English version at all.

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is sinful to lie BJ. W&H were honorable men who sacrificed a great deal and desired to produce a translation that was closer to the original than the Received Text versions such as the KJV. It was not an ideal translation. They tried to make it sound even more archaic than the KJV --but their work paved the way for more accurate and accessible versions of God's Holy Word.
    It's better to say :'Yes, I am coming soon.' Amen. Come Lord Jesus.

14. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for clarifying.

But they were not Bible translators.Cautious

Relevance to this discussion?

Relevance?

Relevance???? O O

15. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    With or without the punctuation and paragraphs?
    Book report time: someone study and report how Westcott and Hort (the founders of modern English Translations and higher textual criticisms), regarded the Textus Receptus.
    Also: How many unauthorized changes did they make in their translations?

Bro. James

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Without both.

You made the false charges --you document. Make it your responsibility to start your own thread on the subject.

17. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can anyone doubt that Satan himself is behind the work of so many translators?

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I certainly doubt that. Satan has more important work to do. Your "question" is frankly, foolish.

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I suppose with the philosophies that are behind some translations,you may have a point. But I also know of very poor translations that actually convey the gospel message itself in a meaningful and accurate form. I suppose that I view some instances (e.g., the Jefferson Bible) to be satanic because of its underlying philosophy and removal of the gospel message itself. But for the most part, I think poor translations only reflect the inherent flaw of well meaning men.

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jon, you need to identify who you are addressing. I had made the last post prior to yours. But you were speaking to Jerome, I think.