1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What was your first study bible?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Yeshua1, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Just_Ahead

Just_Ahead Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And Rob,

I get the candlestick -- I think?

but what about the pottery shard -- or whatever it is -- on the next shelf?

Post a photo and inquiring minds want to know. Confused

Bob

2. Just_Ahead

Just_Ahead Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    One last question Mr. Rob:

Leather dry rot -- is that like mouse nibblings? :Sneaky

Bob

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can keep this thread going forever if you want to talk to me about books, As you can see, I’m a collector.

Dry rot occurs in leather books when the natural oils have evaporated.
    Oils can be restored somewhat by handling but it’s even better to use preparations that include lanolin. Years ago I gave one of my daughter’s a MacArthur Study Bible that was made with cheap pressed leather, it fell apart quickly despite care - if you are going to buy a leather Bible spend some cash and don’t buy cheap!
    Book dyes can be purchased (Amazon) to restore the color.

Regarding the placement of books on the shelf: part of the pleasure of collecting books is putting them in order. It has been a while since I arranged things so the order has degenerated a bit.

I call the room where the picture was take “the library”. It contains four bookcases, each with 6 shelves. The shelf in the picture is one with older books that need special care. I’m 99.9% digital when it comes to reading the Bible so these bibles don’t get much use.
    In the picture the top shelf is Nestle Greek NT arranged by date (1898 [first edition] to 2012 [28th edition]).
    Second and third shelves of bibles are not arranged in any particular order, probably color?

The “pottery shard” is actually a stone bookend, the shelf Is filled and the bookend remains unused. Every few years I have to purge the shelves of books that don’t measure up so I can collect new ones. Those books go to my pastor’s collection, the church library, or a used bookstore in northern Maine that I frequently make trips to. Then the bookend comes into use again.

Next to this shelf I have Old Testament related literature; Hebrew grammar, lexicons, dictionary’s and a couple shelves of OT commentaries arranged by biblical book, then by author, bottom shelf contains some biographies.
    The third bookcase relates to NT literature; a shelf relating to textual criticism and many commentaries.
    The fourth bookcase in this room contains topical studies that I’ve enjoyed over the years and a couple shelves of literature that spilled over from other bookcases in other rooms.

Rob

#63 Deacon, Jul 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Just_Ahead

Just_Ahead Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I imagine most members on Baptist Board affiliate with books.

Thank you for the tour of your library.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1