1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What would cause you to lose your salvation?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, May 19, 2015.

1. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

I would say I was saved while I was a child, and I have no doubt about that. I also have no doubt that I departed from that, and it could have been permanent. I believe our free will was weakened in the fall, not destroyed. I have pointed out scripture that supports what I believe. I know those who believe the opposite can point to scripture which they think supports their view. Those differences are an example of why there are denominations.

To decide which is true, I look at all of scripture, the early churches, what was believed for thousands of years, the nature and character of God as revealed in Jesus, and actual human experience and actions. Based on all of that, I conclude that a deterministic god is not the God of the Bible. I am sorry if that offends, but what else can I do but state my beliefs and conclusions when asked?

I have done so at other times, on other forums, and I have damned for it, and banned for it. But so be it. To quote Martin Luther: "Here I stand. I can do no other."

2. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Genesis 3:17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;

18 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;

19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

I have a question for my Arminian brethren, according to these verses of scripture would God again leave the Salvation of carnal depraved sinners in their hands?... If so why did the remedy come before the sentence?... Brother Glen

3. ROBERTGUWAPO

ROBERTGUWAPO Member

Nope, not against doctrine of Eternal Security here. I was just wondering whether eternal security applies to Christians who have turned agnostic, atheist, even Satanist.

During my college years, I was counseled and discipled by someone, definitely a Christian back then. Every evidence of the fruits of the Spirit was in him: prayer, love, patience...he led and taught bible studies, all the works, etc... Now, he is an agnostic, perhaps even an atheist of the non-militant type.

Now back to my question: Can a Christian fall away, reject the gospel, forsake God, become a hardcore Satanist, and still be saved?

4. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

No. Unless that person repents and comes back to God.

5. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

Two identical post.

#45 salzer mtn, May 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2015
  6. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

If a person studies the parable of the 4 types of ground the good seed was sown on you will see there was but one good ground and it brought forth fruit. Some of the other grounds that were stony and grew briars had a showing for a little while then withered away. Many professed religionist follow the pattern of the college boy because they are taught a Christian is a gun-ho, get it done, get them saved, works, works, works person. Christianity is all external to them and nothing else. They run in their own strength and salvation was just a commitment from them from the very beginning.

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once again we have 5 pages of Cal/non-Cal debate not located in the Cal/non-Cal debate forum. What is the use of having rules, if those who rule believe in discretionary enforcement?

1) Cals believe in exhaustive determinism, God predestines whatsoever comes to pass, but God is not the author of sin. When God predestines us to sin, that does not make Him the author of the sin He predestined. Got it!!

2) Does choosing autonomously to trust in Christ automatically save that person? Or must God credit their faith as righteousness and place them spiritually in Christ?

3) Just as God can "harden" a person so they are unable to trust in Christ, i.e. Romans 11, could God protect a person's salvation by hardening their faith such that they are unable not to trust in Christ?
    Is this not what scripture (1 Peter 1:3-5) teaches?

4) Cal/non-Cal debate never seems to go anywhere because neither side is able to modify the published view they have adopted. So even if one side makes a compelling argument from scripture, it will be rejected. At the end of the day, both sides believe the 400 years of theologians espousing their view could not be wrong.

8. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

You are correct in most everything you said, except the non-Cal view existed from the earliest ages of the church.

9. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

10. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

Show me where in the first 15 centuries of the church the so-called "doctrines of grace" were held?

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think pretty much every sect makes the claim that their view goes all the back to the Apostles. What I had in mind were the published views taking very different stances on salvation that occurred near the time of Calvin and Arminius.

12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :thumbs::applause::applause::thumbs:

13. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    How about Jesus and the Apostles perhaps:thumbs:
    jn6:37-44
    Jn 10:26-30
    jn17...the whole chapter
    Acts 2

22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:

23 Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:

Acts3;
    22 For Moses truly said unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you.

23 And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people.

24 Yea, and all the prophets from Samuel and those that follow after, as many as have spoken, have likewise foretold of these days.

25 Ye are the children of the prophets, and of the covenant which God made with our fathers, saying unto Abraham, And in thy seed shall all the kindreds of the earth be blessed.
    26 Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities.

These OT saints were cals also:wavey:
    13:48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.

14. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

Sorry, I ain't gettin' it from what you posted. :)

15. ROBERTGUWAPO

ROBERTGUWAPO Member

Only REBEL answered my question directly. I would want to hear from others. "Can a Christian fall away, reject the gospel, forsake God, become a hardcore Satanist, and still be saved?"

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If you are asking "Can a person who is bought by the blood of the lamb fall away, reject the gospel, forsake God and become a hardcore Satanist?" I say no.

If you are asking "Can a 'Christian' … become a hardcore Satanist?" I say absolutely. Statistics tell us that 75% of the population in the US are Christians and I can guarantee that it is just a fraction of those actually belong to the Father.

If you are asking "Can a Christian fall away and still be saved?" I say yes. I have fallen away at times and I know each and every one of us have had times that we have fallen. But GOD is faithful even when we are not.

17. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :applause::applause::applause: WELL SAID!

18. ROBERTGUWAPO

ROBERTGUWAPO Member

A Christian who becomes a Satanist has committed apostasy. So those who apostasize are saved? (Respectfully asking.)

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Were they indwelt with the Holy Spirit and that's why you call them a "Christian"? If so, I do not believe they could become a Satanist. I couldn't become a Satanist any more than I could become black.

20. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    what is it that you get when you look at these verses